Archived Topic

Tyler Haws

by frdbtr · 1/10/2010

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Is this kid really a freshman? I think we are seeing the best BB player come through BYU in 30 years. He may make us all forget about Danny ainge and Devin Durrant. Oh, and he may not be as good as Kyle Collinsworth too. :love:
M
Mars


I don't know if he'll be a better senior than Fredette, but Wrubell was calling him "Jimmer Jr." against UTEP...
C
craigoscarson
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/11893/Iceman.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



He's the IceMan
C
craigoscarson
frdbtr wrote:
Is this kid really a freshman? I think we are seeing the best BB player come through BYU in 30 years. He may make us all forget about Danny ainge and Devin Durrant. Oh, and he may not be as good as Kyle Collinsworth too. :love:




I think KC will be very very good (and potentially a better get that Haws down the road), but I have a hard time believing that he'll have the maturity (physical and mental) that Haws possesses as a true freshman.
B
bball
In the last few minutes of the game against UTEP, I became very nervous because we were missing free throws, making some, but missing too many. Loyd missed both of his, and we weren't getting any good looks at the basket. But Haws makes all his free throws, nothing but net, just steps up, does his routine and swish, swish. Then, on the other end, he keeps getting rebounds--eleven for the game! And the two open looks he gets in the last few minutes?? he just pulls up and hits them. Yes, this kid can play and he is going to be something special. Jimmer was not this good as a freshman, and I don't know if Ainge was either.



And we owe this win to Haws and Davies, two freshmen. Now I am impressed, when freshmen are winning games for us, this is very, very big.
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
bball wrote:
In the last few minutes of the game against UTEP, I became very nervous because we were missing free throws, making some, but missing too many. Loyd missed both of his, and we weren't getting any good looks at the basket. But Haws makes all his free throws, nothing but net, just steps up, does his routine and swish, swish. Then, on the other end, he keeps getting rebounds--eleven for the game! And the two open looks he gets in the past few minutes?? he just pulls up and hits them. Yes, this kid can play and he is going to be something special. Jimmer was not this good as a freshman, and I don't know if Ainge was either.



And we owe this win to Haws and Davies, two freshmen. Now I am impressed, when freshmen are winning games for us, this is very, very big.


I believe Haws made 24 of 24 free throws in a high school game. I'll go check for that box score.
J
JamieVallen
I do agree that Haws is a dang good freshman, but on the other side he still makes a lot of stupid little freshman mistakes. I noticed those little things a lot more in the game last night than most nights. Also I say Davies needs more minutes, because he also makes a ton of stupid little freshman mistakes but will get better as time goes on, and already plays at about the level of Miles. So why not play him more, kind of like last night?
C
clemdiggitydog1
Hard to say who's better btwn. him and Ainge just yet.nevertheless it might not be too early to begin clearing out a trophy case all for him in Legacy Hall.He's gonna need it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
jmvcougar wrote:
I do agree that Haws is a dang good freshman, but on the other side he still makes a lot of stupid little freshman mistakes. I noticed those little things a lot more in the game last night than most nights. Also I say Davies needs more minutes, because he also makes a ton of stupid little freshman mistakes but will get better as time goes on, and already plays at about the level of Miles. So why not play him more, kind of like last night?




Davies should be starting by the middle of conference play. It won't happen, but it should. Miles has improved his touch for sure and is a much better scorer than he was a year ago. The difference is that he's a bigger body and plays better defense, which is why he currently gets the nod...but I really like the idea of a Davies/Hartsock frontcourt.
B
BYULV
Davies will be great. He still is noticeably lacking on D and in size, but is improving quickly. I'm glad Miles has been a bit more solid lately, I think the combo of Miles and Davies is a good one as the season progresses.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
I was so pissed when JT fouled out, and then pissed again when they fouled Haws with virtually no time left and the game out of reach, I had JT picked as my high-scorer.
M
Mars
BYULV wrote:
Davies will be great. He still is noticeably lacking on D and in size, but is improving quickly. I'm glad Miles has been a bit more solid lately, I think the combo of Miles and Davies is a good one as the season progresses.

Miles has always been frustrating as a go-to scorer (as well as under-rebounding), but he has basically been cut out of the scoring plan this year and has been playing well in the other aspects of the game. I'll give him a bunch of credit for that. Defensively, he has been a fairly solid player this season.
S
SpiffCoug
Which is why Miles playing so well offensively is helping the team so much. Any points he produces are bonus points that the team wasn't counting on.
C
cougdoc
According to an article in the DNews a couple of years ago, there have been just three triple-doubles in the history of Cougar roundball. The last was Mike Smith in 1988. I think Haws will have the fourth AND fifth before his career is over.
B
BerliNY
bball wrote:
And we owe this win to Haws and Davies, two freshmen. Now I am impressed, when freshmen are winning games for us, this is very, very big.


It looks even more impressive when you consider that this was a road game with the feel of a conference road game at that. The UTEP crowd got UP for this game (highest attendance of the year IIRC) and our freshmen stepped up when the home team with the big noisy crowd had momentum in a close game. This is absolutely huge. Come March Jimmer's mono may prove to be the biggest blessing in disguise we could have gotten.
Advertisement
B
bball
Here's what I noticed in the final three minutes:



1. Haws was 2 for 2 from the field, made all his free throws, got 5 rebounds, and had zero turnovers.

2. Loyd was 1-4 at the free throw line, played out of control, had two turnovers, and made no baskets.

3. Tavernari was 2-3 from the field (I think), made all his free throws, got two rebounds, and had two turnovers (bad passes), and nearly had two more.

4. Hartsock played great defense, got a couple of rebounds, made 1-1 from the field.

5. Emery had two steals, one turnover, one basket and a couple of rebounds.



Nobody played as flawlessly as Haws. Freshman mistakes? yes, maybe, somewhere in the game, but when things really mattered, and the game was on the line, it was Haws that won it for us.
C
clemdiggitydog1
Loyd seems to have made really good progress this year over last[or was it the year before last?],but when the game was on the line his ball handling and decision making seemed to deteriorate a bit;that said, he really played on balance very well and should only improve as he gets more minutes.he does seem to have tendancy to play fast which is his strength,but when he gets sped up by pressure defense he needs to be able to compose hiself and slow back down.
M
Mars
bball wrote:
1. Haws was 2 for 2 from the field, made all his free throws, got 5 rebounds, and had zero turnovers.

2. Loyd was 1-4 at the free throw line, played out of control, had two turnovers, and made no baskets...



Nobody played as flawlessly as Haws. Freshman mistakes? yes, maybe, somewhere in the game, but when things really mattered, and the game was on the line, it was Haws that won it for us.
I read today that Haws was 5-6 free throw shooting at the end of the game and Lloyd was 2-4. I don't have a box score available right now to double-check though.



Also the UTEP crowd was much smaller than it would have been due to the Cowboys playoff game.
B
bball
Freshmen don't normally play like Haws does. Usually,they have lots of talent, get rattled, play out of control, make turnovers, stand around a lot...and ride the bench.



Haws positions himself to get defensive (and offensive) rebounds, he is the "iceman" at the free throw line, he makes shots, and he doesn't do much that hurts the team.



This kid is going to be something.
G
Gunk
clemdiggitydog1 wrote:
Loyd seems to have made really good progress this year over last[or was it the year before last?],but when the game was on the line his ball handling and decision making seemed to deteriorate a bit;that said, he really played on balance very well and should only improve as he gets more minutes.he does seem to have tendancy to play fast which is his strength,but when he gets sped up by pressure defense he needs to be able to compose hiself and slow back down.


Against UNLV we owed Loyd a bit. He came through at the end with some clutch ball handling and shooting. I didn't see the UTEP game. He's inconsistent at this point, but more minutes ought to work that out and these next few games are the perfect opportunity to do just that.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.