S
snoscytheAssuming Beau Hoge gets the start tomorrow against Whiskey, what level of performance from Hoge would create a QB controversy in your mind when Tanner returns?
by snoscythe · 9/15/2017
frdbtr wrote:
So all last year we moaned that Taysom couldn't throw and we wanted Tanner because he would "run the offense like it is supposed to be run". Now that the offense looks horrible with him, we want Hodge because he has the ability to run. The problem I have with that is, if there is no passing threat, the run is easy to stop. Why do you think everyone thought Taysom had lost a step last year and now he is running past Pro DB's scoring touchdowns. Incidentally, Taysom is now throwing to Pro WR's and all of a sudden looks like a passing QB that has amazing wheels, similar to what he looked like against Nebraska before losing one of his wheels. Like I said above, until we get WR's that are physical and work to get open and catch the freaking ball, all of our QB's are going to look horrible. The running game will get stuffed and BYU's fans are going to find a scapegoat for why it all isn't working. The funny thing is, I assumed that Ty's legend status would keep him out of the blame for a few games more than it has.
BroncoBot wrote:
So all last year we moaned that Taysom couldn't throw and we wanted Tanner because he would "run the offense like it is supposed to be run". Now that the offense looks horrible with him, we want Hodge because he has the ability to run. The problem I have with that is, if there is no passing threat, the run is easy to stop. Why do you think everyone thought Taysom had lost a step last year and now he is running past Pro DB's scoring touchdowns. Incidentally, Taysom is now throwing to Pro WR's and all of a sudden looks like a passing QB that has amazing wheels, similar to what he looked like against Nebraska before losing one of his wheels. Like I said above, until we get WR's that are physical and work to get open and catch the freaking ball, all of our QB's are going to look horrible. The running game will get stuffed and BYU's fans are going to find a scapegoat for why it all isn't working. The funny thing is, I assumed that Ty's legend status would keep him out of the blame for a few games more than it has.
BYU fans are extremely fickle. I'm excited to see what Beau Tanner can do. He'd have to play Dang near perfect with a blowout win against Wisc ANF the offense will need to look better than it has under Taysom or Tanner AND for the coaches to actually come out and say that Beau is the man before I'm jumping off the Mangum bandwagon.
Taysom had one of the best records vs power 5 schools. Tanner has yet to beat anyone of importance. Unless you consider BSU of importance, which I don't.
frdbtr wrote:
So all last year we moaned that Taysom couldn't throw and we wanted Tanner because he would "run the offense like it is supposed to be run". Now that the offense looks horrible with him, we want Hoge because he has the ability to run. The problem I have with that is, if there is no passing threat, the run is easy to stop. Why do you think everyone thought Taysom had lost a step last year and now he is running past Pro DB's scoring touchdowns. Incidentally, Taysom is now throwing to Pro WR's and all of a sudden looks like a passing QB that has amazing wheels, similar to what he looked like against Nebraska before losing one of his wheels. Like I said above, until we get WR's that are physical and work to get open and catch the freaking ball, all of our QB's are going to look horrible. The running game will get stuffed and BYU's fans are going to find a scapegoat for why it all isn't working. The funny thing is, I assumed that Ty's legend status would keep him out of the blame for a few games more than it has.
frdbtr wrote:frdbtr wrote:
So all last year we moaned that Taysom couldn't throw and we wanted Tanner because he would "run the offense like it is supposed to be run". Now that the offense looks horrible with him, we want Hodge because he has the ability to run. The problem I have with that is, if there is no passing threat, the run is easy to stop. Why do you think everyone thought Taysom had lost a step last year and now he is running past Pro DB's scoring touchdowns. Incidentally, Taysom is now throwing to Pro WR's and all of a sudden looks like a passing QB that has amazing wheels, similar to what he looked like against Nebraska before losing one of his wheels. Like I said above, until we get WR's that are physical and work to get open and catch the freaking ball, all of our QB's are going to look horrible. The running game will get stuffed and BYU's fans are going to find a scapegoat for why it all isn't working. The funny thing is, I assumed that Ty's legend status would keep him out of the blame for a few games more than it has.
BYU fans are extremely fickle. I'm excited to see what Beau Tanner can do. He'd have to play Dang near perfect with a blowout win against Wisc ANF the offense will need to look better than it has under Taysom or Tanner AND for the coaches to actually come out and say that Beau is the man before I'm jumping off the Mangum bandwagon.
Taysom had one of the best records vs power 5 schools. Tanner has yet to beat anyone of importance. Unless you consider BSU of importance, which I don't.
If Tanner is injured, I am all in on Hoge. Having said that, I don't expect to see better QB play when/if he plays this afternoon.
Cougs_Rule wrote:BroncoBot wrote:
So all last year we moaned that Taysom couldn't throw and we wanted Tanner because he would "run the offense like it is supposed to be run". Now that the offense looks horrible with him, we want Hodge because he has the ability to run. The problem I have with that is, if there is no passing threat, the run is easy to stop. Why do you think everyone thought Taysom had lost a step last year and now he is running past Pro DB's scoring touchdowns. Incidentally, Taysom is now throwing to Pro WR's and all of a sudden looks like a passing QB that has amazing wheels, similar to what he looked like against Nebraska before losing one of his wheels. Like I said above, until we get WR's that are physical and work to get open and catch the freaking ball, all of our QB's are going to look horrible. The running game will get stuffed and BYU's fans are going to find a scapegoat for why it all isn't working. The funny thing is, I assumed that Ty's legend status would keep him out of the blame for a few games more than it has.
BYU fans are extremely fickle. I'm excited to see what Beau Tanner can do. He'd have to play Dang near perfect with a blowout win against Wisc ANF the offense will need to look better than it has under Taysom or Tanner AND for the coaches to actually come out and say that Beau is the man before I'm jumping off the Mangum bandwagon.
Taysom had one of the best records vs power 5 schools. Tanner has yet to beat anyone of importance. Unless you consider BSU of importance, which I don't.
If Tanner is injured, I am all in on Hoge. Having said that, I don't expect to see better QB play when/if he plays this afternoon.
Duh. It's his first start. Tanner is out of excuses. Either player will look better against weaker defenses up coming.
frdbtr wrote:
The announcers said more than once that BYU doesn't have receivers that can stretch the field. They are right. Tanner Mangum, Beau Hoge, Koy Detmer, or Ty Detmer in his prime would look like crap in this offense. It doesn't matter. BYU is screwed because we can't stretch the field. We have speed but when it is easy to throw a guy off his route because they all hate to be touched, you aren't going to complete any deep balls. They don't fight for 50/50 balls and run the wrong way when they appear open which makes the QB look bad because the ball goes one way and the receiver goes the other way.
frdbtr wrote:
The announcers said more than once that BYU doesn't have receivers that can stretch the field. They are right. Tanner Mangum, Beau Hoge, Koy Detmer, or Ty Detmer in his prime would look like crap in this offense. It doesn't matter. BYU is screwed because we can't stretch the field. We have speed but when it is easy to throw a guy off his route because they all hate to be touched, you aren't going to complete any deep balls. They don't fight for 50/50 balls and run the wrong way when they appear open which makes the QB look bad because the ball goes one way and the receiver goes the other way.