Archived Topic

Is There A Case for Koy Detmer Jr.?

by Jarhead · 9/13/2017

Advertisement
J
Jarhead
Per one professional analyst in another thread, the biggest weakness of this offense right now may be the fact that we have a QB that just doesn't execute it properly.



With Tanner Mangum probably out this week, is there a case for Koy Detmer Jr to get his chance. Someone who understands this offense but just lacks the normal physical gifts.



Here is an article on Koy from earlier this year:



http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865676462/Harmons-Halftime-Bloodline-shouldnt-stand-in-the-way-of-giving-Koy-Detmer-Jr-his-due-at-BYU.html
M
Mars
Put in Kafensis!

Put in Crichlow!
S
snoscythe
The other nephew (Kafentzis) on the team would be more physically gifted and have that same life-long knowledge of the system.
J
Jarhead
Mars wrote:

Put in Kafensis!

Put in Crichlow!


This is not a call to bench Tanner Mangum. It's looking like Tanner is hurt and won't be playing. Somebody has to play in his place.



There is only a glimmer of hope for winning this game at this point anyway.



This is an honest and legimate question / discussion point. Not every post on here is a knee jerk reaction.
J
Jarhead
snoscythe wrote:

The other nephew (Kafentzis) on the team would be more physically gifted and have that same life-long knowledge of the system.


Wasn't he moved to receiver? My understanding is Beau and Koy are the qb's on the 3 deep roster.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Jarhead wrote:


The other nephew (Kafentzis) on the team would be more physically gifted and have that same life-long knowledge of the system.


Wasn't he moved to receiver? My understanding is Beau and Koy are the qb's on the 3 deep roster.


Running Back.



As long as we're calling for the third-string QB to start over the second-string, why can't we second guess other QB moves at the same time?



I think it's just as valid as the assumption is the same -- that the coaches could have made a better personnel decision somewhere along the way. Austin was much better rated coming out of HS than Koy Jr.
J
Jarhead
snoscythe wrote:


snoscythe wrote:

The other nephew (Kafentzis) on the team would be more physically gifted and have that same life-long knowledge of the system.


Wasn't he moved to receiver? My understanding is Beau and Koy are the qb's on the 3 deep roster.


Running Back.



As long as we're calling for the third-string QB to start over the second-string, why can't we second guess other QB moves at the same time?



I think it's just as valid as the assumption is the same -- that the coaches could have made a better personnel decision somewhere along the way. Austin was much better rated coming out of HS than Koy Jr.


A fair point, but, and I guess we will see. I stumbled upon what I thought was an interesting article and shared it with my cougarcorner brethren / sistren thinking they might find some interest as well in reading it.



I'm curious if Koy wonders if he's being held back a bit due to his name.
B
BroncoBot
908025851102486528
scratchin my head on this one too..
S
snoscythe
BroncoBot wrote:

908025851102486528
scratchin my head on this one too..


Which means he probably had more snaps than Hoge or Koy over the last week or so.
J
Jarhead
snoscythe wrote:


908025851102486528
scratchin my head on this one too..


Which means he probably had more snaps than Hoge or Koy over the last week or so.


Yikes, they need to get this figured out.....
Advertisement
M
Mars
Huh, I'd heard Kafentzis had been moved back to QB. Guess not?
G
Guest
This is what I reported after the open practice.


Hawking wrote:
Beau Hoge and Koy Detmer both looked about what you would expect from them. They throw the ball well and looked good in the pocket for the most part. I will say I was pretty impressed with Kody Wilstead. He looked the part of a star QB, standing tall in the pocket and throwing with some real zip and velocity. Critchlow also had some nice throws. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with the QB play.
T
TheDean
hawkwing wrote:

This is what I reported after the open practice.


Beau Hoge and Koy Detmer both looked about what you would expect from them. They throw the ball well and looked good in the pocket for the most part. I will say I was pretty impressed with Kody Wilstead. He looked the part of a star QB, standing tall in the pocket and throwing with some real zip and velocity. Critchlow also had some nice throws. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with the QB play.



Yes especially considering Hoge's performance and peewee level mistake costing BYU a safety.
B
BroncoBot
TheDean wrote:


This is what I reported after the open practice.


Hawking wrote:
Beau Hoge and Koy Detmer both looked about what you would expect from them. They throw the ball well and looked good in the pocket for the most part. I will say I was pretty impressed with Kody Wilstead. He looked the part of a star QB, standing tall in the pocket and throwing with some real zip and velocity. Critchlow also had some nice throws. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with the QB play.





Yes especially considering Hoge's performance and peewee level mistake costing BYU a safety.

Why are ppl do upset about the safety? I don't get it.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.