Archived Topic

Mangum's last year?

by vancouvercougar · 9/12/2017

Advertisement
V
vancouvercougar
If Mangum does not perform well (talking about the whole year) will he return for another year?
B
byufan4ever
Well, his options would be, 1) Return, 2) Transfer, 3) Give up football. He seems like a BYU guy and a team guy. I mean after almost an entire season of being QB1 he went back to being QB2 with no complaint. So, my opinion is that I see him returning.
J
jvquarterback
I never thought he was going to leave but I see where you're going with this. Still, I think he's shown some improvement in three games but he's still having a lot of trouble with deep passes. Some of that (a lot of that really) has to do with play calling to Tanner's strengths. I don't see anyone supplanting him right now or next year. I guess we'll see with Critchlow and Wilstead next spring.
V
vancouvercougar
Now Tanner is out for 4 weeks at least. that doesn't give him much time to show any improvement to NFL scouts. I think Tanner comes back next year. I'm hoping there are more pieces to the Offense puzzle by then.
G
Guest
So far, 2017 has been among the worst statistical year for a BYU QB since the early 70s. It really wouldn't matter how much improvement TM showed, there's not an NFL team on the planet that would take him.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
hawkwing wrote:

there's not an NFL team on the planet that would take him.


http://www.sportsmemes.net/pics/6841.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
snoscythe wrote:


there's not an NFL team on the planet that would take him.


http://www.sportsmemes.net/pics/6841.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


haha. I suppose that's true, the Browns are technically still considered an NFL team for now.
J
Jarhead
If Tanner is out for 4 weeks and his back-up succeeds, I don't see how you can justify putting Mangum back in this year. Maybe he shouldn't have been so insistent about not red-shirting last year.....
B
BroncoBot
Jarhead wrote:

If Tanner is out for 4 weeks and his back-up succeeds, I don't see how you can justify putting Mangum back in this year. Maybe he shouldn't have been so insistent about not red-shirting last year.....


From what I understand, he had no choice after his penalty vs Utah.
C
cougarnerd
BroncoBot wrote:


If Tanner is out for 4 weeks and his back-up succeeds, I don't see how you can justify putting Mangum back in this year. Maybe he shouldn't have been so insistent about not red-shirting last year.....


From what I understand, he had no choice after his penalty vs Utah.


What penalty in what game are you referring to? I wasn't able to watch the Las Vegas Bowl, not sure if it was then, don't remember any specific penalties last game nor why they would have affected his choice to redshirt the year before?
Advertisement
G
Guest
cougarnerd wrote:


Jarhead wrote:

If Tanner is out for 4 weeks and his back-up succeeds, I don't see how you can justify putting Mangum back in this year. Maybe he shouldn't have been so insistent about not red-shirting last year.....


From what I understand, he had no choice after his penalty vs Utah.


What penalty in what game are you referring to? I wasn't able to watch the Las Vegas Bowl, not sure if it was then, don't remember any specific penalties last game nor why they would have affected his choice to redshirt the year before?


There was a celebration penalty he was called on while on the sidelines last year, which some thought may have ended his chance to redshirt because he was called for a penalty.
S
snoscythe
cougarnerd wrote:


Jarhead wrote:

If Tanner is out for 4 weeks and his back-up succeeds, I don't see how you can justify putting Mangum back in this year. Maybe he shouldn't have been so insistent about not red-shirting last year.....


From what I understand, he had no choice after his penalty vs Utah.


What penalty in what game are you referring to? I wasn't able to watch the Las Vegas Bowl, not sure if it was then, don't remember any specific penalties last game nor why they would have affected his choice to redshirt the year before?


It was during the 2016 Utah game -- Hill had that 40 yard run for a touchdown, and Mangum ran off the sideline onto the field for a chest-bump in the endzone and got flagged for a personal foul. End of his redshirt season at that moment.
B
BroncoBot
cougarnerd wrote:


Jarhead wrote:

If Tanner is out for 4 weeks and his back-up succeeds, I don't see how you can justify putting Mangum back in this year. Maybe he shouldn't have been so insistent about not red-shirting last year.....


From what I understand, he had no choice after his penalty vs Utah.


What penalty in what game are you referring to? I wasn't able to watch the Las Vegas Bowl, not sure if it was then, don't remember any specific penalties last game nor why they would have affected his choice to redshirt the year before?


Tanner got a penalty against Utah last year when he ran out onto the field after a Hill TD. There were rumors that said penalty affect the availablity of a red shirt year. Not sure if that's true or not
T
TheDean
BroncoBot wrote:


BroncoBot wrote:


If Tanner is out for 4 weeks and his back-up succeeds, I don't see how you can justify putting Mangum back in this year. Maybe he shouldn't have been so insistent about not red-shirting last year.....


From what I understand, he had no choice after his penalty vs Utah.


What penalty in what game are you referring to? I wasn't able to watch the Las Vegas Bowl, not sure if it was then, don't remember any specific penalties last game nor why they would have affected his choice to redshirt the year before?


Tanner got a penalty against Utah last year when he ran out onto the field after a Hill TD. There were rumors that said penalty affect the availablity of a red shirt year. Not sure if that's true or not


Nope as Mangum is listed as a junior so there is one more year.
B
BroncoBot
TheDean wrote:


cougarnerd wrote:


Jarhead wrote:

If Tanner is out for 4 weeks and his back-up succeeds, I don't see how you can justify putting Mangum back in this year. Maybe he shouldn't have been so insistent about not red-shirting last year.....


From what I understand, he had no choice after his penalty vs Utah.


What penalty in what game are you referring to? I wasn't able to watch the Las Vegas Bowl, not sure if it was then, don't remember any specific penalties last game nor why they would have affected his choice to redshirt the year before?


Tanner got a penalty against Utah last year when he ran out onto the field after a Hill TD. There were rumors that said penalty affect the availablity of a red shirt year. Not sure if that's true or not


Nope as Mangum is listed as a junior so there is one more year.

Yes, I'm aware he has one year left.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
TheDean wrote:


Tanner got a penalty against Utah last year when he ran out onto the field after a Hill TD. There were rumors that said penalty affect the availablity of a red shirt year. Not sure if that's true or not


Nope as Mangum is listed as a junior so there is one more year.


https://media.tenor.com/images/dc681a9196a6e504c2bee0ffd7fc6809/tenor.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
Fido
The way this season has gone, not even the Cleveland Browns would look at Mangum. I don't think the NFL route is a concern for him this year.
J
Jarhead
Mangum made it clear last year that he had no interest in red shirting well before the Utah game took place.
B
BroncoBot
Jarhead wrote:

Mangum made it clear last year that he had no interest in red shirting well before the Utah game took place.


I've heard this rumor as well. I find it incredibly odd and wonder if he actually was thinking that, if he would take that redshirt at this point. I don't think 2017 has gone according to plan for Mangum. Why not keep that option open? you don't HAVE to use it.
S
snoscythe
Jarhead wrote:

Mangum made it clear last year that he had no interest in red shirting well before the Utah game took place.


No, he didn't.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.