Archived Topic

Why is everyone saying BYU is rebuilding

by frdbtr · 9/11/2017

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
K so Last I checked, BYU went 9-4 Bronco's last year and 9-4 last year so how is that "rebuilding". I thought rebuilding is what Bronco did in 05. Kalani took over a program that was winning every year, if it stops winning, the next coach will have to rebuild. Having said that, I am hoping that the current coaching staff gets this thing fixed and we keep winning.
B
byufan4ever
frdbtr wrote:

K so Last I checked, BYU went 9-4 Bronco's last year and 9-4 last year so how is that "rebuilding". I thought rebuilding is what Bronco did in 05. Kalani took over a program that was winning every year, if it stops winning, the next coach will have to rebuild. Having said that, I am hoping that the current coaching staff gets this thing fixed and we keep winning.


I agree and was thinking on similar lines except I wouldn't say "everyone" is saying that. I won't hide the fact that I liked Bronco, but I do think that he left the cupboards bare in the WR and OL areas. But Kalani was able to be quite successful last year with Bronco's recruits.
M
Mars
The most common excuse I've seen is "it's only been 3 games since losing Taysom and Jamaal". I don't think it's a great excuse. But it's better than the "submit your resume" strawman argument that some think makes sense.
F
Fido
I can see it being labeled "rebuilding" in that many of the players on offense that are doing things are freshmen (Bushman, Tolutau). There aren't many great seniors on that offensive side of the ball and no clear leader inspiring the team to move forward (sadly not even Mangum). The defense is a different story.
F
frdbtr
BYU has the talent on the offensive line and the receiving corps if they had the coaching to utilize them. BYU is not rebuilding. BYU is being poorly coached.
Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
frdbtr wrote:

BYU has the talent on the offensive line and the receiving corps if they had the coaching to utilize them. BYU is not rebuilding. BYU is being poorly coached.


Careful there, some will say you are not a true BYU fan and should find some other team to support! Some may call you names for criticizing a coach! :bug:
M
Mars
I'm sorry, but "Coach so-and-so doesn't seem to be doing a very good job right now" is not a personal attack. Some people get weird in how far they go to play apologist.
F
frdbtr
byufan4ever wrote:


BYU has the talent on the offensive line and the receiving corps if they had the coaching to utilize them. BYU is not rebuilding. BYU is being poorly coached.


Careful there, some will say you are not a true BYU fan and should find some other team to support! Some may call you names for criticizing a coach! :bug:


I've been singing this song since the first game of the year 2016 and no one has called me out on it. The reason why is because my arguments are consistent, non personal, and based on what is truly happening on the field. I don't expect anyone to call me out on it. Last of all, I think Ty Detmer is fine and that his offense would be working great right now with better offensive line and receiver play. The RB situation is still under review IMO.
F
Fido
How can you tell the difference between receiver talent who is not being coached well and receivers who just aren't doing what is needed (fighting contact at the line, running good routes, catching the ball when it hits them in the hands, etc.)? How do we know that the coaches aren't doing a good job? It's a serious question--not a judgement one way or the other on anyone.
F
frdbtr
Fido wrote:

How can you tell the difference between receiver talent who is not being coached well and receivers who just aren't doing what is needed (fighting contact at the line, running good routes, catching the ball when it hits them in the hands, etc.)? How do we know that the coaches aren't doing a good job? It's a serious question--not a judgement one way or the other on anyone.


That's a good question because who's to say whether the intangibles are there or not. My opinion is due to how I saw marshmallow receivers turn into guys who would make the tough catches in 2015 with a good receivers coach. Mitch Matthews was an absolute marshmallow in 13 and in 14 but in 15 he improved. Then last year and this year under "pillows and feathers" we have seen the same soft receiver play we saw before Guy Holladay was here. I may be wrong and we just have crappy receivers but IMO if we had a guy who demanded toughness at the receiver position, we would have tougher receivers. As far as the offensive line, we have had a crappy offensive line since 2009 on (09 was respectable but got worse every year after).
Advertisement
B
BYZoo
I think we're really seeing the effects of not having MLP. He was one of our returning experienced receivers with proven talent. The other was Trinnaman, but he hasn't done much at all. The others are all Freshmen and Sophomores with little to no experience. The same is true with running back. Squally hasn't shown much and is our only returning back with experience. These guys just don't seem like they're all on the same page. Tanner will have time to throw but misses an open receiver. Or, he has time to throw and throws into coverage instead of to the open guy. Or, the receivers are open and drop the ball when it's delivered. Sometimes, no one is open at all, but that hasn't been that often. The O-line has given him time, but the backs don't pick up the blitz. Stuff like that. I don't see a single person or position group that can be singled out for fault. It seems like it's a different person or group that breaks down depending on the play. I'm baffled because shouldn't stuff like this be worked out better in Spring ball or Fall camp? I know you can't simulate a game, but performing against a 1-AA school in your opener should have better performance and allow you to progress into the next game. Oh, except our next game was LSU, so even if we did progress it would be hard to tell.



As for Utah, that game was there for the taking. A touchdown on the Hifo PI play would have been huge. A more lucky bounce of the ball when Fred Warner caused a fumble early on, and we return it for a touchdown or at least recover in Utah territory. The lucky bounces of the Utes continue. Either way, I didn't see a Ute team that was dominant or really that good. They might win 4 more games, including San Jose St. As for BYU, I think we need a quarterback that makes plays and has that intangible. Maybe Tanner has it and he's thinking too much because of the offense and he's getting confused. Or, maybe he just doesn't have it. So far this season, I haven't seen much of a playmaker/gamer out of him. Hope it changes soon.
B
BroncoBot
Who was the receiver/tight end who dropped the ball in the north endzone at the pylon? That was a huge drop and a GREAT throw. There were a LOT of drops that should have been catches on Saturday vs Utes. Not just the last drive.
B
BYZoo
Pretty sure it was Neil Pau'u, a true freshman. It would have been a tough catch, so I have a hard time calling it a drop. Could have been caught, though, for sure.
M
Mars
BYZoo wrote:

Pretty sure it was Neil Pau'u, a true freshman. It would have been a tough catch, so I have a hard time calling it a drop. Could have been caught, though, for sure.

Any non-catch that hits a guy in the hands is painful to watch.
B
BroncoBot
Mars wrote:


Pretty sure it was Neil Pau'u, a true freshman. It would have been a tough catch, so I have a hard time calling it a drop. Could have been caught, though, for sure.

Any non-catch that hits a guy in the hands is painful to watch.


particularly when it would have been a TD against a rival in a loss. I agree it would have been a difficult catch, but not impossible.



Where is MLP?
Advertisement
G
Guest
BroncoBot wrote:


BYZoo wrote:

Pretty sure it was Neil Pau'u, a true freshman. It would have been a tough catch, so I have a hard time calling it a drop. Could have been caught, though, for sure.

Any non-catch that hits a guy in the hands is painful to watch.


particularly when it would have been a TD against a rival in a loss. I agree it would have been a difficult catch, but not impossible.



Where is MLP?


Injured in fall camp
S
SpiffCoug
MLP hurt his foot in the penultimate practice of fall camp.
M
Mars
SpiffCoug wrote:

MLP hurt his foot in the penultimate practice of fall camp.

Out for 8-ish weeks.
T
TheDean
frdbtr wrote:

BYU has the talent on the offensive line and the receiving corps if they had the coaching to utilize them. BYU is not rebuilding. BYU is being poorly coached.


A spot on and very true statement especially in the O-line and WRs case.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.