Archived Topic

Let's just get this out of the way

by Ygridiron4ever · 9/3/2017

Advertisement
Y
Ygridiron4ever
I'll be among the first to say it this year: Now that we have our first loss, I kind of wish we belonged to a conference.
F
Fido
So which conference do you wish BYU was in? The one who just had a conference member lose to Howard (FCS)?
B
byufan4ever
I think the idea is that with a conference and an early season loss you still have something to play for.
B
byufan4ever
And I'm not sure that we belong in a Power 5 conference...
A
ABYUFAN
BYU has as much to play for now as it did on Friday. This can be a great year or an aweful one, but the joy of sport is in the games themselves. My son has all of his cross country medals stuffed away somewhere - but his race bibs plastered all over his wall.
Advertisement
K
KingCoug
byufan4ever wrote:

And I'm not sure that we belong in a Power 5 conference...


Sure we do. Look at some teams currently in P5 conferences: Washington St, Oregon St, Iowa St, Kansas, Indiana, Rutgers, Purdue, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Duke, etc. BYU football can match up with these "P5-lites" most of the time. And we may be able to beat the mid-tier teams occasionally. But we'd probably never be in contention against the P5 elites.
N
nuk13
I agree with Byufan and Ygridion. I enjoyed BYU football much better when we were in the conferences, mainly because we were competitive. (I enjoyed the bowl game with Wyoming) We are not competitive now at least with the higher echelon teams we are playing. I don't like saying it but if the Y is going to play LSU, Utah and teams like that we need to get better coaches and better talent although I have nothing against those we have personally. That will take more money than we are now spending. I don't know if the general authorities are willing to do this and I don't blame them if they don't. There are more important things to spend tithes and offerings on. I don't know about donors but at this point they haven't put us up there. Also, the Honor Code is not going to change, at least enough to make a difference.



The Utes must be getting a lot of money from the tax payers. I don't like there but if I did I would protest sending them the tax dollars.



I also wonder why more top LDS talent doesn't come to BYU. Is it money?



I don't expect most of you to agree but I'll say this, it is not fun seeing my team getting kicked around and a coach saying he only used part of what they had to do so. I hope for change and I'm willing to listen to what you think that might be.
Y
YNot
I'll take fan base overreactions for 100, Alex.



Why are we so surprised that we were skunked by LSU? We knew that we would need an exceptional performance to score more than 13 points - unless the defense had some key takeaways or there was an amazing special teams play.



Remember the Michigan game? Just 2 years ago. 31-0. 105 yards of total offense Ring a bell? 39 minutes to 21 minutes of ball control for the Wolverines.



We went on to win 9 games that year, including some exciting wins over Nebraska, Boise St., Cincinnati, SJSU, and ECU - all close, competitive, and exciting games. Received an invite to play a PAC team in the Las Vegas bowl....



..same quarterback...could still be a similar storyline.
Y
YNot
I actually like independence. Way better opponents than the MWC alternative. Great games in great venues.



The ultimate reward for a successful MWC championship season is the hope for a chance to play someone like LSU, Wisconsin, Michigan St., or USC in a big bowl game. That's IF you win the conference and can beat out the other G5 champs in the beauty contest.



Independent BYU gets these games during the regular season. We just played LSU - was supposed to be a more neutral site, but still. And we get Wisconsin at home in two weeks! USC and Michigan St. come to Provo soon too.



Speaking of bowls, this is easily the biggest complaint about independence. I wish we could affiliate with the AAC for the bowl lineup. I think there's a chance that we could help the AAC grab the Las Vegas Bowl versus a PAC school and keep the Armed Forces (v. B1G/B12) and Hawaii (v. MWC) bowls as annual AAC/BYU bowls. Throw in some more AAC opponents to fill out future October and November schedules - and independent life would be great. SMU and Houston would be great games on the schedule.
L
lawngnome
nuk13 wrote:

I agree with Byufan and Ygridion. I enjoyed BYU football much better when we were in the conferences, mainly because we were competitive. (I enjoyed the bowl game with Wyoming) We are not competitive now at least with the higher echelon teams we are playing. I don't like saying it but if the Y is going to play LSU, Utah and teams like that we need to get better coaches and better talent although I have nothing against those we have personally. That will take more money than we are now spending. I don't know if the general authorities are willing to do this and I don't blame them if they don't. There are more important things to spend tithes and offerings on. I don't know about donors but at this point they haven't put us up there. Also, the Honor Code is not going to change, at least enough to make a difference.



The Utes must be getting a lot of money from the tax payers. I don't like there but if I did I would protest sending them the tax dollars.



I also wonder why more top LDS talent doesn't come to BYU. Is it money?



I don't expect most of you to agree but I'll say this, it is not fun seeing my team getting kicked around and a coach saying he only used part of what they had to do so. I hope for change and I'm willing to listen to what you think that might be.


As the money part is concerned, the currently posted revenue vs. expense report for the :utard: for 2016 was 79.4 Million dollars in revenue and 78.9 Million in expenditures. I do believe that is for the ENTIRE athletics department... Does anyone know how that compares to 8) ?
Advertisement
N
nuk13
Lawngnome, I'm a little surprised that the Utes are ahead of their expenses. You ask a good question about BYU and I'd like to know the answer.
G
Guest
BYU does not and will not reveal financial information about the athletic department.
G
Gunk
I like that we are playing LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, etc. But let's face it, those teams are using BYU as a warm up game. Sure we squeaked out a win against Nebraska, but for the most part these teams will roll right over us. Question is do you enjoy watching BYU get steam rolled? I don't.



If we are going to play these types of teams then BYU , fans included, either needs to accept the fact we're a tier below and be okay with getting spanked (hey, we got some money & exposure out of the deal) or we need to decide we're not okay with it and make the changes necessary to compete at that upper level.



I, for one, am not nearly as excited about BYU football as I used to be. The seasons are all pretty much the same: we win 9-ish games, go to a no-name bowl, and call the season a success. Wash, rinse, repeat.
B
BroncoBot
Gunk wrote:



I, for one, am not nearly as excited about BYU football as I used to be. The seasons are all pretty much the same: we win 9-ish games, go to a no-name bowl, and call the season a success. Wash, rinse, repeat.


How far back are you going when this wasn't the case? BYU is the same as it always had been except for that 1984 team that caught lightning when I happened to be 2 yrs old. Every year had some letdowns. I can't say I'm as excited as I used to be, but I was more excited during the crouton years. I probably have more distractions these days.
L
lawngnome
hawkwing wrote:

BYU does not and will not reveal financial information about the athletic department.


I figured they didn't as a private university. It was more of a... if anyone has insider information kind of request.



Personally I would assume that the :utard: makes more from football than BYU (Conference affiliation, share of bowl winnings, etc.), but that all other sports at BYU bring in more than their counterparts at :utard:



I did go on a tour of their football facility with the in laws, and I was impressed. Haven't had the chance to tour any at BYU yet so I can't really compare.
Advertisement
W
Woody3715
According to the Salt Lake Tribune, the University of Utah's athletic department budget for this year is 72.4 million of income and 72.2 million of expenses. "University support" to the athletic department is only 1.8 million. Interestingly, the U's budget is the second smallest in the Pac12 and smaller than BYU's.



As a comparison, Wisconsin, who the Cougars play next week, has an athletic department budget of 132.4 million this year (including media rights revenue of 41.5 million) and will contribute 5.8 million to the general university budget. Wisconsin's budget is approximately 9th nationally.
M
Mars
Gunk wrote:

I like that we are playing LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, etc. But let's face it, those teams are using BYU as a warm up game. Sure we squeaked out a win against Nebraska, but for the most part these teams will roll right over us. Question is do you enjoy watching BYU get steam rolled? I don't.



If we are going to play these types of teams then BYU , fans included, either needs to accept the fact we're a tier below and be okay with getting spanked (hey, we got some money & exposure out of the deal) or we need to decide we're not okay with it and make the changes necessary to compete at that upper level.



I, for one, am not nearly as excited about BYU football as I used to be. The seasons are all pretty much the same: we win 9-ish games, go to a no-name bowl, and call the season a success. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Sure, I'd avoid Top 20 teams for now, but certainlt not all P5 schools. Nebraska was a smart schedule. We beat Arizona, Michigan State, and Mississippi State last year alone.
W
Woody3715
Arizona was 1-9 in the Pac12 last year, Michigan State 1-8 in the Big10 and Miss State 3-5 in the SEC. Nothing to chirp about.
L
lawngnome
Woody3715 wrote:

According to the Salt Lake Tribune, the University of Utah's athletic department budget for this year is 72.4 million of income and 72.2 million of expenses. "University support" to the athletic department is only 1.8 million. Interestingly, the U's budget is the second smallest in the Pac12 and smaller than BYU's.



As a comparison, Wisconsin, who the Cougars play next week, has an athletic department budget of 132.4 million this year (including media rights revenue of 41.5 million) and will contribute 5.8 million to the general university budget. Wisconsin's budget is approximately 9th nationally.


Sorry I'm not questioning your info, but as hawkwing said,I didn't think BYU released their financial info.. just curious what the source is on their budget being bigger?



That's very interesting about them being second smallest in the P12.



Hopefully this doesn't come off the wrong way, I'm just actually really curious about the finances of sports programs!
W
Woody3715
BYU like all other universities files reports with the U.S. Dept of Educatiopn. People have put together numbers from DOE information. For example: BYU Athletic Department, Total Revenue

2010: $45M

2011: $53M

2012: $54.6M

2013: $60.1M



BYU had greater athletic revenue in 2013 than the U had in 2014. See the post on the Cougar Board of CosmoK dated April 13, 2015.



The bottom line is that the belief of many Cougar fans, that the University of Utah has some huge money advantage which helps explain its better football success, is just false.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.