Archived Topic

Mangum trending down in every stat category

by hawkwing · 9/3/2017

Advertisement
G
Guest
I was bored and decided to do some analysis of Mangum. I can't sleep after that disaster.


Completion-trend.PNG

YPG-trend.PNG

YardsPerCompAtt.PNG

As you can see, Mangum is trending downward. The offense is getting more and more anemic and the Mangum of early days with the big arm is no where to be seen. He's now under throwing receivers on 10 yard routes, let alone under throwing them by 8 or 10 yards on 40 yard routes.
S
SpiffCoug
His fiancé broke him when their engagement ended so she could play volleyball in Korea. He's not the first man broken by a woman. But Tanner is a very poor QB right now.
M
Mars
Plus he's on depression meds now. Looks like a zombie out there on the field.
J
Jarhead
Mars wrote:

Plus he's on depression meds now. Looks like a zombie out there on the field.


And commments like this are why people who struggle with depression hesitate to discuss these kind of issues in public. C'mon man.
W
Woody3715
How do you expect any QB top perform when he has no receiver with any speed, no running back with speed and no offensive line? Tom Brady couldn't score many points with this team.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
hawkwing wrote:

I was bored and decided to do some analysis of Mangum. I can't sleep after that disaster.



Completion-trend.PNG



YPG-trend.PNG



YardsPerCompAtt.PNG



As you can see, Mangum is trending downward. The offense is getting more and more anemic and the Mangum of early days with the big arm is no where to be seen. He's now under throwing receivers on 10 yard routes, let alone under throwing them by 8 or 10 yards on 40 yard routes.

I'd imagine LSU is going to damage a lot of QBs stats this year. Kinda like Michigan 2015 killed some qbs (including Tanner)
U
UCChris
Mars wrote:

Plus he's on depression meds now. Looks like a zombie out there on the field.


Really man? You ought to be disgusted with yourself.
F
frdbtr
Woody3715 wrote:

How do you expect any QB top perform when he has no receiver with any speed, no running back with speed and no offensive line? Tom Brady couldn't score many points with this team.


I agree with some of this. The receivers are plenty fast, just not physical. They don't fight for 50/50 balls and they don't run good routes. The offense might not help them much. Where is BYU's 80's offense? They used to make fools of bump coverage back then with crossing routes, passes to the RB out of the back field and the TE over the middle. It seemed like every pass to a WR last night was on a well covered streak. Why weren't they going over the middle at all?
B
BoiseBYU
Tanner is a good man. I hope the best. The trend lines are disconcerting. BUT the trend lines also reflect the play calling and TEAM performance. Tanner did miss some receivers, BUT play action does not work when you cannot run on the team and the D does not have to respect the run. Passing is harder when a three man rush can put pressure to throw quickly. Passing is harder when you apparently don't have a RB who can catch a ball (Dye caught one!! And that was it) passing is harder when your receivers do not fight for the ball. Beau Tanner LET that defender intercept the ball. There was no fight. Passing is harder when you don't call more plays like slants (Trinamon (sp?) was money last year on slants.). I've seen none this year I have seen no crossing routes or wr in motion to stymie bump and run. I don't know what's going on totally but I know some of it is team performance and some of it is coaching and play calling. I've seen Tanner's capabilities. They are still there. He is someone to work with and utilize in a successful scheme. BUT he cannot on his own carry this team to the promised land and it is foolish for any of us to assume otherwise.
S
SenorCougar
The future has arrived. Bronco is gone. Taysom is gone. Fights in the stands to bench Taysom and play Tanner. Taysom is not an NFL caliber QB. Tanner will opt out for the NFL early. Bronco rubbed everybody wrong. Bronco can't recruit. Kelani is getting 3+ star recruits that Bronco couldn't. Preseason reports receiving corps and tight ends much improved. Oline is finally close to potential with a senior 4 year starter at center. Speed like BYU has never had before. Off-season strength training was impressive and this team finally has the strength to compete. Taysom played well enough in preseason to be picked up off waivers quickly. May have an NFL future of some type. Things aren't always as simplistic as they seem. I liked Bronco and I like Kelani. I liked Taysom and I support Tanner. I'm not into scapegoats. Lastly, the comment about depression was one of the lowest blows I've seen here. Uncalled-for and reflects worse on the commenter than on Tanner.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
The comment about meds is par for the course for that poster whom in 09 was calling for Austin collie to have an injury after he declared early for the NFL draft. With some people you just expect it and then nothing surprises you.
M
Mars
I'm on depression meds. Some work great, some have terrible side effects. I've experienced both. Makes me wonder if that has anything to do with his looking so vastly different on the field. It might, it might not. Same thing as him supposedly breaking up with fiancee, as another poster mentioned.
B
BroncoBot
SenorCougar wrote:

Uncalled-for and reflects worse on the commenter than on Tanner.

Uhhh. I don't think anyone in their right mind felt that jab in any way reflected poorly on Tanner. Mars will Mars.
G
Gunk
Mars wrote:

I'm on depression meds. Some work great, some have terrible side effects. I've experienced both. Makes me wonder if that has anything to do with his looking so vastly different on the field. It might, it might not. Same thing as him supposedly breaking up with fiancee, as another poster mentioned.


While I have no direct experience with anti-depressants, from what I understand one of the theories behind them is keep the user at an even emotional level and they accomplish such by removing the highs and lows.



I've seen this first hand in friends and family. While the "depression" is diminished so is the elation.



From a purely objective point of view, it's not unfathomable to suspect that Tanner isn't experiencing something like this and that it isn't affecting his play. Football is an emotional game. If Tanner isn't feeling the same way he was 2 years ago, if he can't get as amped or fired up like he used, why would it be unreasonable to assume that may be affecting his on-field performance?



I've seen coworkers' performance affected by anti-depressants. I've seen family affected and I've seen friends. That doesn't mean I am "judging" them or demeaning them. If a co-worker suddenly lost an arm, we'd all know, talk about its effects, and make accommodations. We'd acknowledge and address it. But if someone is depressed, for some reason we think it best to be hush-hush about it and pretend they are unaffected. How is that more compassionate? How does that remove barriers?
V
vancouvercougar
Mars wrote:

I'm on depression meds. Some work great, some have terrible side effects. I've experienced both. Makes me wonder if that has anything to do with his looking so vastly different on the field. It might, it might not. Same thing as him supposedly breaking up with fiancee, as another poster mentioned.


A family member of mine is on anti-depressants. The medication had a poor effect and increased thoughts of suicide. The practitioner did a blood test called genomic testing and discovered that they were using the wrong med. The medication was switched with fantastic results.
Advertisement
G
Guest
Gunk wrote:


I'm on depression meds. Some work great, some have terrible side effects. I've experienced both. Makes me wonder if that has anything to do with his looking so vastly different on the field. It might, it might not. Same thing as him supposedly breaking up with fiancee, as another poster mentioned.


While I have no direct experience with anti-depressants, from what I understand one of the theories behind them is keep the user at an even emotional level and they accomplish such by removing the highs and lows.



I've seen this first hand in friends and family. While the "depression" is diminished so is the elation.



From a purely objective point of view, it's not unfathomable to suspect that Tanner isn't experiencing something like this and that it isn't affecting his play. Football is an emotional game. If Tanner isn't feeling the same way he was 2 years ago, if he can't get as amped or fired up like he used, why would it be unreasonable to assume that may be affecting his on-field performance?



I've seen coworkers' performance affected by anti-depressants. I've seen family affected and I've seen friends. That doesn't mean I am "judging" them or demeaning them. If a co-worker suddenly lost an arm, we'd all know, talk about its effects, and make accommodations. We'd acknowledge and address it. But if someone is depressed, for some reason we think it best to be hush-hush about it and pretend they are unaffected. How is that more compassionate? How does that remove barriers?


I think you bring up a lot of very good points here.



I think one of the big problems with mental illness is there's such a stigma around it and it's treatment that no one wants to talk about it, but discussing it openly is a step in the right direction. I don't think anyone would say that TM is a bad person or should just shake off his depression. He should be treated properly (that to be determined by him and his doctors).



Mental health is far more important than football ability.
N
nuk13
Mars wrote:

I'm on depression meds. Some work great, some have terrible side effects. I've experienced both. Makes me wonder if that has anything to do with his looking so vastly different on the field. It might, it might not. Same thing as him supposedly breaking up with fiancee, as another poster mentioned.


Mars, I have disagreed with you on some things but I want to tell you I appreciate your courage in telling us of this personal problem. I pray you are successful in overcoming this.
S
snoscythe
Tanner has been taking anti-depressants fro his issues since high school.



Can't say I buy that they suddenly are making him zombie-like on the field, especially since this offense made Taysom Hill look zombie-like as well.
M
Mars
vancouvercougar wrote:
A family member of mine is on anti-depressants. The medication had a poor effect and increased thoughts of suicide. The practitioner did a blood test called genomic testing and discovered that they were using the wrong med. The medication was switched with fantastic results.

As Vancoug stated, a possible side affect of most medications is a potential increase in the thing being treated. Yes, depression meds can cause increased depression. That being said, snoscythe's explanation seems much more likely. The Oline and RBs may be doomed, but I do have hopes that Tanner will bounce back.
F
frdbtr
I sound like a broken record but it is all about the Oline and the receivers. As they go, this offense will go and IMO both have been playing poorly so far this year. Hopefully they get things fixed before Saturday or we will have 7 losses in a row to the utes.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.