B
BroncoBotAnyone have any precision rifles? Who did you use and how is it working out? What caliber? I'm looking to potentially build one vs buy a ruger
by BroncoBot · 8/8/2017
BroncoBot wrote:
Anyone have any precision rifles? Who did you use and how is it working out? What caliber? I'm looking to potentially build one vs buy a ruger
snoscythe wrote:
what's your end goal with the gun/build?
"Precision" is pretty broad. You looking for a 1000 yard nickle-puncher, or a 600 yard elk gun, or a little bit of both?
Ddawg wrote:Anyone have any precision rifles? Who did you use and how is it working out? What caliber? I'm looking to potentially build one vs buy a ruger
I've built 1, and am building a 2nd. You have to define what you want to shoot. Coyote? 5.56, 22-250, or a .243. I personally like a 5.56 (.223) for coyote because of the quick follow up shot.
I built a custom 260. It's a necked down .308 with a 6.5 mm (.264) round. Great for hogs and deer. It has a high ballistic coefficient and does well with 120 gr. It outperforms the ballistics of the .308 without the recoil. Punches paper out to 1,000 yards. It will zoom along around 2800-2900 fps. I hunt effectively with it to 400 yards.
I'm building a 300 WSM right now. It will be an effective deer/elk gun out to 600 yards. For an effective 800 yard gun (deer/elk) I would go with the standard 300 Win Mag.
As a my platform I chose Remington. Other manufacturers build fine guns - Savage, Ruger, and Browning. But, if you want to build a custom, they have limited aftermarket parts. Especially in the "trigger" category - which is critical for long range. Using a Remington is like buying a Chevy. Lots of aftermarket parts and custom gunsmiths for Remingtons are like blinking your eyes - they are everywhere.
Here's what I used in my 260 build. I bought a Remington - stainless action. I definitely wanted stainless for inclement weather hunting. Barrel - Bartlein #3, stainless, 24". It takes 4-6 months to get a Bartlein barrel after you order it. They are good barrels. Stock - Manners 100% carbon elite tactical. Trigger - Timney.
Basically, here's what my 260 looks like.https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fmgm-content%2Fsites%2Farmslist%2Fuploads%2Fposts%2F2014%2F11%2F20%2F3727384_01_custom_savage_260_manners_brux_640.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.armslist.com%2Fposts%2F3727384%2Fgrand-rapids-michigan-rifles-for-sale-trade--custom-savage--260--new-trade-options-&docid=z_2g_vMh9XxoXM&tbnid=o0YwKXTDYr6EEM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwjP1fW1jMjVAhUqllQKHTwFCscQMwgnKAAwAA..i&w=640&h=480&bih=789&biw=1420&q=custom%20260%20manners%20stock&ved=0ahUKEwjP1fW1jMjVAhUqllQKHTwFCscQMwgnKAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8
I don't recommend going the route I did. It's time consuming and expensive. Probably better off buying a Remington Sendero (a good shooter), a Savage (they shoot well and are accurate out of the box), or a Browning (they shoot well stock).
BTW, I'm looking hard at getting a 338 Lapua as my dedicated elk rifle. I won't build a custom 338 Lapua. I'll probably get a Desert Tech (DT SRS A1 338). They are awesome out to 1,200 yards+ for elk. Then you have another topic to address - the glass you put on top.
Check out the DT SRS A1 -
http://www.eurooptic.com/dta-srs-338l-26-ffm.aspx
Good luck.
snoscythe wrote:
My only complaint about my 6.5?
After shooting it for a while, when I switch over to my lightweight .270, the scope on the .270 is a bit too friendly with my eye socket.
Ddawg wrote:
Here's a fun dream gun. It the new Army / Marine / Navy / Special Operations sniper rifle. The Remington MSR. Can change calibers in about less than 2 minutes (about 90 seconds). It comes in a kit for $21,000. The individual rifle costs $11,600 (no scope or bipod). Street value about $10,500.http://2poqx8tjzgi65olp24je4x4n.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Remington-PSR-Features.jpg " alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Here's the kit ($21,000). With barrels, bottles and magazines to shoot 338 Lapua, 300 Win Mag, and 308.http://2poqx8tjzgi65olp24je4x4n.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Remington-PSR-Kit.jpg " alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">