Archived Topic

Jerell Springer visiting BYU

by Fido · 4/27/2017

Advertisement
F
Fido
http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2017/4/26/15443240/byu-basketball-recruiting-jerell-springer-visit-2017


...

The 6-foot-6 Springer has an interesting recruiting story. He played his first three years of high school ball at Shadow Ridge in Las Vegas. Before the start of his senior year, he transferred to the more highly touted Desert Pines in hopes of playing his senior year there.



Due to transfer violations, Springer was forced to sit out his senior year. Subsequently, recruiting attention waned and he fell off the radar for many programs.



In an area with top high school talent, Springer was one of the best players in Las Vegas his junior year. An ESPN 3-star recruit, Jerell averaged 20 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals, and just under 1 block per game. So, BYU is targeting a guy that is talented on both the offensive AND defensive end.



ESPN described Springer in 2015 as an “extremely athletic wing-type with long arms and a frame that should fill out nicely as he matures. He has an explosive 1st step where he separates from his defender and he can fly up and down the court in transition.”

...
B
BoiseBYU
I read Jerry Springer and thought what has BYU come to? Then I reread.....
B
BroncoBot
BoiseBYU wrote:
I read Jerry Springer and thought what has BYU come to? Then I reread.....

ha ha. That makes 2 of us.
G
Gunk
BroncoBot wrote:
I read Jerry Springer and thought what has BYU come to? Then I reread.....

ha ha. That makes 2 of us.

3 of us.
G
Guest
Gunk wrote:
BoiseBYU wrote:
I read Jerry Springer and thought what has BYU come to? Then I reread.....

ha ha. That makes 2 of us.

3 of us.

4.
Advertisement
M
Mars
hawkwing wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
I read Jerry Springer and thought what has BYU come to? Then I reread.....

ha ha. That makes 2 of us.

3 of us.

4.

5
F
Fido
http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/15/45/1600x800/landscape-1446748816-showbiz-jerry-springer-show-drama.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
Fido
I've never heard any updates on him after the visit. So I'm guessing we don't hold our breath. Or maybe they are just waiting for the Mika decision so they know if there is another scholarship available.
B
BlueK
Jahshire Hardnet seems to fit better with what they need and has at least some college experience. But they may still end up with both anyway.
M
Mars
Springer has committed to SUU.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Mars wrote:
Springer has committed to SUU.

As in Southern Utah University? Really?



Probably thought he'd get more playing time. Well, I rather him go there directly then come here and transfer a year later.
G
Guest
Gunk wrote:
Springer has committed to SUU.

As in Southern Utah University? Really?



Probably thought he'd get more playing time. Well, I rather him go there directly then come here and transfer a year later.

He probably realized he'd be playing there in 2 years anyway, so might as well cut out the middleman.
B
BlueK
hawkwing wrote:
Mars wrote:
Springer has committed to SUU.

As in Southern Utah University? Really?



Probably thought he'd get more playing time. Well, I rather him go there directly then come here and transfer a year later.

He probably realized he'd be playing there in 2 years anyway, so might as well cut out the middleman.


Some rumors out there today that BYU is about to give the scholarship to an international player who is better. We'll see what happens.
B
BroncoBot
BlueK wrote:
Gunk wrote:
Springer has committed to SUU.

As in Southern Utah University? Really?



Probably thought he'd get more playing time. Well, I rather him go there directly then come here and transfer a year later.

He probably realized he'd be playing there in 2 years anyway, so might as well cut out the middleman.


Some rumors out there today that BYU is about to give the scholarship to an international player who is better. We'll see what happens.

tick-tock.
M
Mars
I've been hearing a bit about a 3-pt shooter from Cal that BYU is looking at. I assume Springer was told to move on, that there was no longer room for him.
Advertisement
N
nuk13
I don't want anymore 3 point bombers. It seems to cause great games sometimes and flops when those shots aren't falling.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Jerry Springer, the talk show icon, graduated from Tulane.
F
Fido
scott715 wrote:
https://twitter.com/bhein3/status/867727785531367424



Trevin Knell was released by Cal when they changed coaches. I think he is a mission first kid.

You are correct. He goes on his mission in a month. So he wouldn't fill a roster spot until 2019-20. There must still be someone out there for 2017-18.
B
BroncoBot
Fido wrote:
https://twitter.com/bhein3/status/867727785531367424



Trevin Knell was released by Cal when they changed coaches. I think he is a mission first kid.

You are correct. He goes on his mission in a month. So he wouldn't fill a roster spot until 2019-20. There must still be someone out there for 2017-18.

i'll have to look, but I may have some eligibility left...
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.