Archived Topic

Jeff Chatman says Jordan was told he couldn't play at BYU

by hawkwing · 4/18/2017

Advertisement
B
BYULV
hawkwing wrote:
Is there more to the story than the idea that the Law school wouldn't allow Jordan Chatman to play ball as a 1st year law student? That's the impression this tweet seems to be giving.





https://twitter.com/jeffchat/status/854358128908845056


What ACC record did he set?
G
Guest
I'm not sure, the video Jordan linked to says '9 straight three's against Virginia Tech' but the video seems to just be season highlights (I didn't watch the whole thing)
B
byufan4ever
Yes, he hit 9 straight 3s, that's the ACC record that he set.



I always thought that he could develop into a starter, but I never thought that was a for-sure thing. I'm happy for him that it has worked out but it sucks for us that he could be doing that for us.
B
BoiseBYU
Jeff Chatman is a good guy from way back. If that is true, and looking at the bench we had this year, perhaps THE problem we have right now is a coaching staff who can't really identify talent and how to get them all to fit together....
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
The problem with Chatman was the law school, not the hoops program.



Law school has a set schedule for first year students and would not allow him to schedule classes around basketball games and practices and would not give him attendance waivers for missing classes for games and travel.
G
Guest
snoscythe wrote:
The problem with Chatman was the law school, not the hoops program.



Law school has a set schedule for first year students and would not allow him to schedule classes around basketball games and practices and would not give him attendance waivers for missing classes for games and travel.


Some people are claiming that that story was just a cover to save face for BYU, especially since Chatman isn't currently enrolled in Law school.
B
BroncoBot
after looking at frank Jackson and Jordan Chatman stats, they were basically equivalent players this year against a very similar schedule. it's too bad we didn't get to have JC stick around for another season.



Jordan was good for 8.6 ppg, 2.2 rpg, shot 41.7 3pt%, 91.3 ft% in the ACC. He was the upperclassmen that byu needed this year.



I think rose and co have a hard time letting non-pet projects (jimmer, kc, carlino for a while, LP3) see the floor enough. Part of the reason BYUs bench struggles is they never see the dang floor. JC came off the bench for all games except 7 qt BC. He either saw the writing on the wall at BYU that he wasn't going to play much OR the law story is true. I hate to see him go, especially because his dad was such a die hard BYU fan. Hope no bridges were burned in the process.
G
Gunk
I'm losing confidence in our coaching staff.
N
nuk13
I was and am very disappointed Chatman left. We were told about the law school rule but I think something could have been worked out. I'm not an insider but if he isn't in law school or soon enrolls there, something is very fishy. I am confident he could have been a big contributor to this team and they needed something more than what they had.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
hawkwing wrote:
The problem with Chatman was the law school, not the hoops program.



Law school has a set schedule for first year students and would not allow him to schedule classes around basketball games and practices and would not give him attendance waivers for missing classes for games and travel.


Some people are claiming that that story was just a cover to save face for BYU, especially since Chatman isn't currently enrolled in Law school.


I heard he decided against it once he got out there. Might have gotten some heat from the transfer school.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.