Archived Topic

BYU's bowl situation not as open as you want it to be

by hawkwing · 3/1/2017

Advertisement
G
Guest
There was a lot of talk last season about BYU being a bowl independent for the next few years and how that was a good thing as BYU could accept any Bowl invitation and potentially receive a much higher paycheck than what it has been getting.



Sadly, according to Tom Holmoe that is not the case.



https://twitter.com/espn960sports/status/837044912264642560
E
EM_Puma
I'm still trying to understand what all this means as far as a bowl game for BYU for this football season. I don't believe ESPN owns EVERY bowl game, but they definitely have the majority.



Are there any bowl games were right now there is an opening with no conference affiliation? If not, then BYU's only option is for ESPN to slot them into a spot where some conference doesn't fulfill all of their obligations. Downside of that is that we end up with a smaller window of opportunity deciding where, as fans, to go to attend a bowl game. I believe that statistically there would exist the possibility that all bowl obligations are filled. I don't know if that has ever happened or not, but that would totally suck.
B
byufan4ever
Independence has been great with the exception of the bowls.
G
Guest
Ultimately this means that BYU is going to go to any bowl that ESPN wants them to go to.
B
BlueK
EM_Puma wrote:
I'm still trying to understand what all this means as far as a bowl game for BYU for this football season. I don't believe ESPN owns EVERY bowl game, but they definitely have the majority.



Are there any bowl games were right now there is an opening with no conference affiliation? If not, then BYU's only option is for ESPN to slot them into a spot where some conference doesn't fulfill all of their obligations. Downside of that is that we end up with a smaller window of opportunity deciding where, as fans, to go to attend a bowl game. I believe that statistically there would exist the possibility that all bowl obligations are filled. I don't know if that has ever happened or not, but that would totally suck.


They only actually own a few bowl games. And the ones they do own are all minor bowl games, like the kind G5 conferences send teams to. Having TV rights and owning are different things. Most of the bowls are under contract with conferences who just aren't going to let BYU bump them out of their spot.
Advertisement
G
Guest
According to Wikipedia these are the bowl games operated by ESPN. This is where BYU will be going for the next 2 years unless Holmoe can work out some magic. Of course, if these bowls all fill their contracted spots BYU may not be going to any bowl.



ESPN Events operates the following bowls;



Armed Forces Bowl

Birmingham Bowl

Bahamas Bowl

Boca Raton Bowl

Camellia Bowl

Celebration Bowl

Famous Idaho Potato Bowl

Hawai'i Bowl

Heart of Dallas Bowl

Las Vegas Bowl (2001–present)

New Mexico Bowl

St. Petersburg Bowl

Texas Bowl
B
BroncoBot
I think outside of the top 7-8 bowls, it doesn't really matter what bowl you go to. BYU will find a bowl and everything will be fine.
S
scott715
I think it will add some excitement to not know which bowl we are going to.
I
imuakahuku
Bowl game? Who needs a bowl tie in!? CFP baby!!!! :crazy:
Y
YNot
The Armed Forces Bowl is Army v. Big Ten this year. I'm not sure whether there's a backup conference if Army isn't bowl eligible or if there are not enough eligible Big Ten schools.



I'd say there's a decent chance BYU plays in the Armed Forces Bowl. Frankly, that's not a bad landing spot, whether against the Big Ten or Army.



Also the AAC owns the Miami Beach bowl and has a spot in the Hawaii Bowl. I could see the AAC try to broker a deal to get BYU in Miami or Hawaii - especially if BYU has a good year - depending on how many AAC, CUSA, and MWC schools are bowl eligible and who gets the G5's NY6 bid.



Either of those are better than the other bowls that are likely to be available, again depending on how many MWC and CUSA schools are bowl eligible:



- New Mexico Bowl (MWC v. CUSA)

- Arizona Bowl (in Tucson) (MWC v. CUSA)

- Famous Idaho Potato Bowl (MWC v. MAC)



Of these 3, I'd probably prefer the Arizona Bowl. We already play half of the MWC, so I'd cross my fingers for a bowl against Air Force, CSU, or SDSU.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.