Archived Topic

NIT Tournament

by EM_Puma · 2/20/2017

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
http://www.nycbuckets.com/current-nit-bracketology/



You have to love this statement, "This is the official NIT Bracketology of the 2017 tournament by NYC Buckets. It was published on Feb. 20, 2017."



Not to be confused with the "unofficial" NIT Bracketology of the 2017 tournament by NYC Buckets." You have to watch out. There are so many impostor NYC Bucket lists out there! ;)



They have BYU as a 6th seed playing 3 seed Utah.
E
EM_Puma
I can't say that I want to play Utah with this bi-polar team. At the beginning of this season I would have said, "Bring them on!" We were so much more sure of the team we had, but that thought has tumbled.



I'd rather leave the game until next year.



What would you do if this was proposed and the NIT said that we had to go to SLC to play. I'd probably tell them to pound salt, give us a home game or we're going to take all of our fans to another one of the tournaments. I would bet the NIT folks wouldn't even understand how putting us up at the Huntsman would be a major issue in light of the cancelled contract.



Then again too, with the fact that BYU's average attendance this season is higher than UU (14,653 vs 12,523), would they possibly put the game in Provo?



There would just be so much out there to match these two teams up this season that I don't know if either would do it. At least not as the first game for each.
E
EM_Puma
I'm just a "thinkin fool" today. There has been a few articles written this year about how Utah has bypassed the Y and that the gap is growing. Funny thing that is never mentioned, BYU still owns the attendance in both FB and BB. Funny that the gap doesn't mean as much to the Puketah fans that they are getting their butts out to games and while almost 100% of BYU's games are readily available to be seen for both sports on TV, unless you have DISH, there are quite a few still not able to see as many Puketah games.
B
byufan4ever
EM_Puma wrote:
I can't say that I want to play Utah with this bi-polar team. At the beginning of this season I would have said, "Bring them on!" We were so much more sure of the team we had, but that thought has tumbled.



I'd rather leave the game until next year.



What would you do if this was proposed and the NIT said that we had to go to SLC to play. I'd probably tell them to pound salt, give us a home game or we're going to take all of our fans to another one of the tournaments. I would bet the NIT folks wouldn't even understand how putting us up at the Huntsman would be a major issue in light of the cancelled contract.


I would agree. I don't want to play Utah this year due to their cancelling the yearly game and due to that this team is a complete mental mess. Also, it's no guarantee that we make the NIT at all. The Portland game should be a win, the Gonzaga game will be a loss. A one-and-done in the conference tourney (at the quarter-finals stage) could do us in. I'm hoping we get 1 win in the conference tourney. Wow, LOL, how's that for realistic (and much different from the beginning of the season) expectations?
E
EM_Puma
I still think the NIT is about money and I still believe a 21-12 BYU team would make it, but what do I know. I can't remember the last time I was worried about even getting an NIT bid--that's how far we have sank this season.
Advertisement
B
BYULV
I would love to see a BYU v Utah matchup, simply to see it eat away at coach 80K/20k. Win or lose, it would just be an incredible irony to have this game thrown back in Utah's face.
B
BlueK
EM_Puma wrote:
http://www.nycbuckets.com/current-nit-bracketology/



You have to love this statement, "This is the official NIT Bracketology of the 2017 tournament by NYC Buckets. It was published on Feb. 20, 2017."



Not to be confused with the "unofficial" NIT Bracketology of the 2017 tournament by NYC Buckets." You have to watch out. There are so many impostor NYC Bucket lists out there! ;)



They have BYU as a 6th seed playing 3 seed Utah.


interesting site, but I've followed it the last few years and this guy's track record with NIT seedings isn't very good. The NIT committee is much harder to get a read on than the NCAA committee. In 2015 he had BYU completly out of the tournament but we got a 3 seed instead.



I also don't think Utah gets a 3 seed. They have fewer top 100 wins than we do, believe it or not. They only have one (USC). BYU has 4 (Princeton, CS Bakersfield, USF twice, with Colorado at #104 just outside the top 100. Utah also has a loss to USF, who we beat twice. Utah also has a loss to #291 Oregon State, who is ranked below any of our losses. True, we do have more outside the top 100 losses, but Utah's case over us if they have one is pretty weak. There certainly isn't a strong case for seeding them 3 spots higher.
B
BlueK
I think both BYU and Utah are in the NIT at this point. Neither has a particularly good case for a home game, maybe borderline 4 seed, IMO. It's possible one could be play the other as a 4 vs. 5, is my guess. BYU overall I think has an edge given that we have more top 100 wins and a stronger non-conference schedule, which is the only part of the schedule a team can control. Remember the NIT is owned by the NCAA now, and so their objectives are similar. They like to reward and punish teams based on their non-conference schedule.
Y
YNot
My prediction is #6 BYU at #3 Texas Tech. If we win, we play at #2 Houston.



Utah will be a #4 seed and host Colorado St. or SDSU, in #1 TCU's bracket.



BYU and Utah wouldn't meet until New York.
S
scott715
Our RPI just jumped 20 spots.
Advertisement
B
BlueK
YNot wrote:
My prediction is #6 BYU at #3 Texas Tech. If we win, we play at #2 Houston.



Utah will be a #4 seed and host Colorado St. or SDSU, in #1 TCU's bracket.



BYU and Utah wouldn't meet until New York.


everything changes now with BYU's win over Gonzaga.
E
EM_Puma
I see NYBuckets now has us as 5th seed playing Georgia Tech. Still, I would hope we get the home game. GT has capacity of 8,600 in their facility. Over the last 4 home games they have averaged 6,344 with a high of 8,600 (sell-out) and a low of 2,437,



I don't think I want any part of GT. They have beaten Notre Dame, North Carolina, and Florida State this season--all Top 25 teams.
B
BlueK
Believe it or not, there are multiple NIT projection sites out there. But with BYU they're all over the place right now. No sense in even looking at the ones that weren't updated since the Gonzaga game since that game should make a major difference in these. These projections have been updated since then:



http://nicktursisbestbracketperiod.weebly.com/

2 seed for BYU, 6 seed for Utah



http://www.nycbuckets.com/2017/02/ni...y-february-27/

5 seed for BYU, 2 seed for Utah.

This one is probably the best known NIT site, but he's been pretty far off on BYU the last couple of times. I think last year he had us as a 6 and we got a 2. The previous time he didn't even have us in the field at all and we got a 3. His blog covers college basketball in the northeast, so he's probably a little regionally biased.



http://bracketball.blogspot.com/2017...7-s-curve.html

4 seed for BYU, 4 seed for Utah



https://sportsentiment.com/

6 seed for BYU, 7 seed for Utah



https://carolinasportsthoughts.wordpress.com/

3 seed for BYU, 3 seed for Utah



http://www.dratings.com/predictor/bracketology/

4 seed for BYU, 5 seed for Utah
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
Mars wrote:
http://www.nycbuckets.com/current-nit-bracketology/



Now we're a 3 seed playing Texas A&M. At least we'd get a home game out of it.

Basketball postseason against Texas A&M? No thanks!


I know. I remember the last time we played them and we were a higher seed and they slapped us silly.



One positive from the NIT, if we get a good enough seed, is to get teams into the MC that we never seem to convince to come play us at home. Thankfully they have little choice.
E
EM_Puma
As of 3 A.M. EST, we're now a 3 seed playing Fresno State. The winner of that game plays the Cal/CS Bakersfield winner. There are a few games that will impact today as the "First Four Out" of the NCAA will be the top seeds.



This is all still speculation as to seedings, but I like BYU with a 3 seed and Utah with a 4. I will not support us going to a game at HC this season. I'd rather see us quit and end the season. Would be awful interesting though to see what would happen if, under this guy's scenario, BYU and Utah each won their 1st 2 games. This would cause Utah to travel to BYU for the 3rd game. Even though, in all honesty, I don't want to see us match up against Utah this season, it would be fitting that a game was played between the two in Provo after all that went down.



Honest truth, I'll be surprised to see BYU make it past 2 games with this years team.
S
scott715
We are #3 seed and we play UT-Arlington Wed 7pm ESPN2. Utah is a 3 in a different bracket.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.