Archived Topic

Spring Practice

by scott715 · 2/11/2017

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I want to watch the OL. Then the DL. Then I'll come back to the OL and return to the DL again. Then I'll finish by watching the OL and the DL.



With Tanner Mangum, I'm not concerned about QB. I'm not concerned about WR. I'm not concerned about RB. I think we have enough talent to be good enough at those last two positions.



But if we can't control the line of scrimmage, our RBs won't have anywhere to run. If we can't pass block, our WRs won't have enough time to get into routes for Tanner to find them. It all starts up front.



Same on defense. I'm sold on our LBs. They're all studs across the board. I'm even excited by our DBs, although we did lose Nacua. But if our DL can't stop the run or get pressure we'll be thrashed all day.



If the OL can't block, the defense comes back onto the field too quickly. If we can't pressure the QB, our offense won't see the field enough.



OL and DL.
F
frdbtr
It's all about the receivers and the Oline. The oline improved last year marginally in run blocking. I wasn't as impressed with their pass blocking. The receivers sucked last year and the best of the crappy receivers graduated and I don't see anyone that is going to improve them this year. I hope someone who was on the practice squad or a mission makes a difference because I am sick of losing to utah but IMO I don't see anyone who will be able to beat utah's press coverage.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
The receivers and O line have my interest for the spring.



I first found the light of BYU football when I moved to Utah in the summer of 2006. The fall football season beheld my bewilderment and wonder. I beheld an incredible passing game as well as its sacred protection.



Let us link hands brethren! Raise thy voice this offseason to an effective pass attack! May we rejoice in awe of the mighty pocket protection! May we tremble before the might of effective run AND pass blocking! May all line blocking assignments be met heretofore with great haste! And may the feet of thine receivers be swift! Oh blessed Cosmo, leave us not in this our hour of need!



And yea, thy line shall indeed hold true. For thus it is written, thy foe to the north shall tremble beneath thee.
B
BOID
SpiffCoug wrote:
I want to watch the OL. Then the DL. Then I'll come back to the OL and return to the DL again. Then I'll finish by watching the OL and the DL.



With Tanner Mangum, I'm not concerned about QB. I'm not concerned about WR. I'm not concerned about RB. I think we have enough talent to be good enough at those last two positions.



But if we can't control the line of scrimmage, our RBs won't have anywhere to run. If we can't pass block, our WRs won't have enough time to get into routes for Tanner to find them. It all starts up front.



Same on defense. I'm sold on our LBs. They're all studs across the board. I'm even excited by our DBs, although we did lose Nacua. But if our DL can't stop the run or get pressure we'll be thrashed all day.



If the OL can't block, the defense comes back onto the field too quickly. If we can't pressure the QB, our offense won't see the field enough.



OL and DL.


Excellent points. The 2017 class of signed recruits is heavily dominated by very promising linemen. Help is on the way. It's all good. 8)
Advertisement
F
Fido
831276328540180484

Spring camp starts Monday, February 27.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Oh blessed day! May this offseason be filled with prosperous growth of strength! And let thy servant Tanner time routes to utmost perfection with these thine receivers. May they practice each route even seven times seven.Yea, may our brethren of the line wax ever stronger.
F
Fido
834575656310550529

834576148998688768
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Official request for a podcast at the cave upon completion of spring practice.
F
Fido
834759407732916226
Advertisement
G
Guest
TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote:
Official request for a podcast at the cave upon completion of spring practice.

Okay, all star cast. Everyone is invited.
F
Fido
LoyalCougars now lists LB Scott Huntsman as retiring due to a career ending Achillies tendon injury. He looked good as a freshman prior to his injury. Too bad.
F
Fido
More walk-ons listed as "no longer in the program":

TE Sophomore David Weekes

LB Sophomore Sam Morell

RB Senior Colby Hansen
F
Fido
837007711241830400

836996304613998592

837008763957604352
Advertisement
S
scott715
These make me excited.
B
byufan4ever
So is the Spring Game scheduled for March 25? I plan on going! Anyone else? Any more details for the spring game? All I could find was a tentative date from a 3rd party site.
F
Fido
837073896348135424
F
Fido
byufan4ever wrote:
So is the Spring Game scheduled for March 25? I plan on going! Anyone else? Any more details for the spring game? All I could find was a tentative date from a 3rd party site.

836739460146548736

I'm hoping to make it down for the game....but we'll have to see. My schedule has been crazy lately.
G
Guest
I would like to personally invite all CougarCorner users to lunch after the spring game. Place: TBD.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.