Archived Topic

Going to the Holy Land - any suggestions?

by jvquarterback · 1/19/2017

Advertisement
J
jvquarterback
The wife and kids (and grandma) are leaving for 5 days in Jordan and 11 days in Israel the end of next month. We're self planning and we've got it mostly set. We're leaving a bunch of free time while we're in Galilee and Jerusalem - Jordan at the beginning will be a mad dash though. For those of you who've been before do you have any suggestions for stuff that isn't part of the guided tours. My wife did BYU Jerusalem 20 years ago which is some help, but it's been a while.



Everyone thinks we're crazy for going with small kids but I ran the numbers and it won't be much more than a church history tour in the US (I keep telling everyone it is a church history tour).



Anyway I'm totally stoked about going. If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them.



Thanks.
D
Ddawg
Don't hang out in corner coffee shops, don't go to any popular dance places where Jews and tourists hang out, and keep your head on a swivel for fast moving trucks - situational awareness! Good luck. It should be a great experience.
C
Cougarfan87
That sounds awesome. It will be a trip of a lifetime.
J
jvquarterback
Just to update the trip was incredible. I'd recommend it to everyone that can afford it - it isn't terrrebly expensive. The kids loved it (ages 8 months to 9 years) and everyone loved us because of the kids. It was safer than my trips to Chicago and Philadelphia.



Going to the places our Savior lived and walked was just amazing. I've had more spiritual experiences in my life at home but it really helped me understand how He lived and the scale of where he walked and taught and ministered.
C
Cougarfan87
jvquarterback wrote:
Just to update the trip was incredible. I'd recommend it to everyone that can afford it - it isn't terrrebly expensive. The kids loved it (ages 8 months to 9 years) and everyone loved us because of the kids. It was safer than my trips to Chicago and Philadelphia.



Going to the places our Savior lived and walked was just amazing. I've had more spiritual experiences in my life at home but it really helped me understand how He lived and the scale of where he walked and taught and ministered.


Thanks for updating. I hope to go someday too...but I know it won't be for a while.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Good thing Israel's mooching off of the US helped make it for a safe and enjoyable trip for you and your family.
S
snoscythe
SpiffCoug wrote:
Good thing Israel's mooching off of the US helped make it for a safe and enjoyable trip for you and your family.


http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj165/MrPing1000/buster_zps70920871.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
jvquarterback
SpiffCoug wrote:
Good thing Israel's mooching off of the US helped make it for a safe and enjoyable trip for you and your family.


If I cut off visiting all moochers I wouldn't be left with anywhere to go. Maybe I should use that as an excuse for home teaching.



I disagree that US sponsorship of Israel makes me more safe but even if you buy that madness, I've paid way more than my fair share for whatever pretend security you think I get from the mooching. I would argue US foreign policy, particularly it's sponsorship of Israel, makes me less safe at home and throughout the world. I certainly felt more safe in Jordan than Israel. Don't miss Jordan btw - a ton of Biblical events happened there that a lot of people skip out on if the don't go (Christ's baptism being #1 on that list).



That said, taxation in Israel is through the roof. It was kind of amazing the differences in cost when in Palestinian controlled areas compared to Israeli controlled areas and I definitely didn't feel any less safe in those areas though the Israelis try there best with the road signs right before you enter saying you may die (as if that weren't an issue in Israeli held territory).
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.