As everyone knows, Lavell Edwards was a great guy. I was lucky enough to get to know him, by accident. During my junior and senior years at BYU, I rented a room in the Oakhills 5th Ward. It turned out, both Lavell Edwards and Fred Whittingham were in that ward. For 2 years, nearly every Sunday, I got to sit in Elders Quorum and visit with Lavell Edwards and Fred Whittingham. Both men were great.
As a student attending BYU, I was in awe of Lavell Edwards. I can unequivocally state - Lavell Edwards was never distant, offish, arrogant, or unapproachable. He was so decent, kind and thoughtful. He was one of those guys that I looked forward to his comments, because they were always insightful and carried weight.
Although I would not say I was "friends" with Lavell, he always said hello and acknowledged an insignificant nobody like me - when he didn't have to. Lavell Edwards was a quiet giant who I admired and loved.