S
scott715Archived Topic
Changes to Utah's Staff
by scott715 · 12/30/2016
Advertisement
S
snoscytheI think Kyle will upgrade to three co-offensive coordinators. One and two haven't worked yet, so that's the only logical path.
G
Guest3 OCs is the charm. Isn't that how the saying goes?
A
ABYUFANYou guys think that BYU will hire Roderick again? And if so, then Utah offers him his job back?
F
frdbtrABYUFAN wrote:
You guys think that BYU will hire Roderick again? And if so, then Utah offers him his job back?
I hope not. He had a chance to come to BYU and turned it down to stay a ute, that makes him a ute IMO and I don't want him.
Advertisement
A
a1247frdbtr wrote:You guys think that BYU will hire Roderick again? And if so, then Utah offers him his job back?
I hope not. He had a chance to come to BYU and turned it down to stay a ute, that makes him a ute IMO and I don't want him.
I would take him only if he can help the wide receivers group.
H
HoosierCougara1247 wrote:ABYUFAN wrote:
You guys think that BYU will hire Roderick again? And if so, then Utah offers him his job back?
I hope not. He had a chance to come to BYU and turned it down to stay a ute, that makes him a ute IMO and I don't want him.
I would take him only if he can help the wide receivers group.
That's an area where he's had some success. But I gotta believe he doesn't have a lot of contacts in the coaching world. Twice he's taken a job, only to "re-think" it and go back to Utah.
F
frdbtrThe guy on utah's staff that can help our receivers is Guy Holladay.
A
a1247HoosierCougar wrote:frdbtr wrote:You guys think that BYU will hire Roderick again? And if so, then Utah offers him his job back?
I hope not. He had a chance to come to BYU and turned it down to stay a ute, that makes him a ute IMO and I don't want him.
I would take him only if he can help the wide receivers group.
That's an area where he's had some success. But I gotta believe he doesn't have a lot of contacts in the coaching world. Twice he's taken a job, only to "re-think" it and go back to Utah.
It wouldn't surprise me to see him at Weber State working with Jay Hill or even at Alabama working with his long time friend Steve Sarkisian. Who is also the man that tried to get him to leave Utah when he was the head coach at Wasington. I don't know why he didn't leave for Washington, there's that slim chance had he went to Washington and had success he could have had a shot at the head coaching job when Steve left for USC.
There's a lot to be said about being comfortable and maybe to a fault he was comfortable at Utah.
I personally don't think there's room or a need for him at BYU.
S
scott715Is he a good recruiter?
Advertisement
F
FidoBronco had tried to hire him last time. And Sitake has filled his staff. I don't see Roderick coming this way. Best of luck to him though.
S
SpiffCougI hope Sitake, unlike Bronco, is routinely hiring new coaches, not because he is replacing coaches who aren't succeeding, but because they're being hired away.
How many coaches did Bronco replace because they were hired away? Not enough. I'd love for BYU to return to the times of when our coaches were sought after.
How many coaches did Bronco replace because they were hired away? Not enough. I'd love for BYU to return to the times of when our coaches were sought after.
S
scott715Well Lavell hired young up and comers not former players who want to stay in Utah.
M
MarsWho here would take Roderick as WR coach over Cahoon, by the raise of hands?
S
scott715Hard to answer. I know nothing about the coaches abilities or their recruiting. What we do know is that our WRs had problems this year. Maybe that means that Cahoon is not a good coach. Maybe it is too soon to tell. I don't hear much about his recruiting abilities. Maybe Roderick would be better.
Advertisement
A
a1247scott715 wrote:
Hard to answer. I know nothing about the coaches abilities or their recruiting. What we do know is that our WRs had problems this year. Maybe that means that Cahoon is not a good coach. Maybe it is too soon to tell. I don't hear much about his recruiting abilities. Maybe Roderick would be better.
Cahoon receivers weren't impressive under Doman and they again weren't impressive this time in Detmers offense. I don't know if A-Rod could or would do better but I will definitely take his recruiting abilities.
G
GuestMars wrote:
Who here would take Roderick as WR coach over Cahoon, by the raise of hands?
I would, and I don't even like him. Supposedly he's an excellent recruiter as well.
S
SpiffCoug161 of Cody Hoffman's 260 career catches came under Cahoon's tutelage. Those two seasons were his two most productive as well.
A
AmmonCougar1It's possible I'm misremembering but I am almost positive that when Cahoon was hired the first time the receivers and their ability to run good routes and catch with higher consistency than the previous year went up a ton. Spiff, perhaps you have some stats that could shed some light on it. When Cahoon was let go did we get Guy right away or did we have someone else for a season. Again, it seemed like things dipped at least a season before our receivers improved again as a collective position group.
I think Cahoon knows what he is doing but just has players that aren't as skilled at gaining the separation as or have the natural ability (ie. height and hands re. Matthews & Hoffman most recently) and therefore he takes the heat the most.
Just my $.02.
Go Cougs!!!
J. Child
Ammon, ID
I think Cahoon knows what he is doing but just has players that aren't as skilled at gaining the separation as or have the natural ability (ie. height and hands re. Matthews & Hoffman most recently) and therefore he takes the heat the most.
Just my $.02.
Go Cougs!!!
J. Child
Ammon, ID
G
GuestI definitely remember there being a big drop with the receivers when Cahoon came in, that got worse as it went along under his control. Then he got let go and not a single college in the country offered him another job, which was really telling to me.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.

