Archived Topic

Looking at our guys as NBA prospects

by Qman · 12/10/2016

Advertisement
Q
Qman
While I am a big BYU fan, I am an even bigger NBA fan. So I thought it would be interesting to look at our guys like an NBA scout would.



Mika is clearly the best NBA prospect on the team right now.



NBA Strengths

-6'10" 240

-Rebounds out of his area on both offensive and defensive boards

-Great mobility for big guy lateral on switches

-Great ability to run the floor and finish with dunks

-Improved free stroke

-Good quick footwork in post and a couple of go to moves

-Good timing on weakside shotblocking



NBA Weaknesses

-Inability to hold position in the post without fouling. Could be due to a weak lower body or the inability to get low enough to gain leverage

-Bad use of hands on defense that results in a number of fouls

-What position can he guard? Not strong enough for 5's and not a diverse enough offensive game to be a 4.

-Undersized 5's need a jump shot as well



NBA Outlook

-His improved FT stroke needs to be developed further until he has a consistent 15 ft shot

-He needs to get much stronger so he can play without fouling in the post

-He is older than some prospects- is he a finished product?



Next I would put Childs.



NBA Strengths

-6'8" 230

-Great vertical explosion in traffic. Dunks almost everything and out jumps opponents for rebounds consistently.

-Great mobility for big guy lateral on switches

-Good consistent efforts on the boards

-Good instincts for interior passing

-Good basic post game with a right handed hook shoot and a fade over his left shoulder



NBA Weaknesses

-Rarely boxes out

-Needs to polish his off the ball movement on offense and defense

-What position can he guard? Right now his isn't comfortable on the perimeter and getting over screens so he can't be 3. He is too small to guard full-size NBA 4's.

-His jumper has a weird inconsistent hitch



NBA Outlook

-He needs to develop a smooth consistent 3 point stroke

-Good players his size can handle the ball-will he able to do that?

-Unless he grows a couple of inches he needs to learn how to guard on the perimeter



And finally TJ Haws



NBA Strengths

-Advanced complete offensive game for a guard

-NBA 3 pt range

-Excellent ball-handler in pick and roll

-good floater

-Can finish off the glass at surprising angles

-good step back jumper footwork

-Decent length and quickness for PG

-good passing vision

-good instincts in passing lanes



NBA Weaknesses

-He is rail thin and too weak for the NBA game right now

-His offensive decision making can be too aggressive and turnover prone

-Not a vertically explosive athlete



NBA Outlook

-He will be a below average NBA athlete - will his skill level overcome that?

-Can more experience improve his decision-making?

-He is older for a freshman? Why hasn't his body developed?





Seljaas gets an honorable mention with his size and shooting ability.
N
nuk13
I am no longer an NBA fan but I find your analysis interesting. I can think of reasons but I'd like to know why you left Emery out. You picked 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores. Seljaas is also a sophomore but has a year to go before he can play again. Anyway there is a lot of room for growth with the kids you featured.
S
SpiffCoug
If Mika continues playing like he is, we'll be hoping Yeoli Childs is ready to carry a very heavy load next year.
G
Gunk
If Mika keeps at his current clip, I would be shocked if he stays. I wouldn't...



Agree, though, he needs to round out his game with some shooting. He's added a turnaround jumper this season, which is looking pretty good. He'll get better coaching in the NBA, plus it's a more physical game so his fouling I don't think is such an issue.



Haws' biggest weakness and the reason he won't get drafted is his inability to defend. Yes, I know there isn't much defense played in the NBA, but a skinny white guy at guard is going to go in with some major stigmas against him and unless he can shut the critics up and keep his man in front of him he isn't going anywhere in the NBA.
Q
Qman
nuk13 wrote:
I am no longer an NBA fan but I find your analysis interesting. I can think of reasons but I'd like to know why you left Emery out. You picked 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores. Seljaas is also a sophomore but has a year to go before he can play again. Anyway there is a lot of room for growth with the kids you featured.


Emery simply put is too small, not a natural passer and isn't a dynamic enough driver. In other words he has to play PG based on size and his skillset is that of 6'7" swingman.
Advertisement
Q
Qman
Gunk wrote:
If Mika keeps at his current clip, I would be shocked if he stays. I wouldn't...



Agree, though, he needs to round out his game with some shooting. He's added a turnaround jumper this season, which is looking pretty good. He'll get better coaching in the NBA, plus it's a more physical game so his fouling I don't think is such an issue.



Haws' biggest weakness and the reason he won't get drafted is his inability to defend. Yes, I know there isn't much defense played in the NBA, but a skinny white guy at guard is going to go in with some major stigmas against him and unless he can shut the critics up and keep his man in front of him he isn't going anywhere in the NBA.


As our guys project to hopefully be role players at the next level the first question is who can they guard. Right now Mika is in between a 4 and 5 in the NBA. Because 4's have to guard guys like Lebron and Durant on perimeter-- Mika isn't there. Mika's best chance for a long NBA career is to get strong enough to guard NBA 5's in the post and at least a 15 ft jumper so he can provide a little spacing to go with his rebounding.



I have been surprised how well Haws has guarded in the last couple of games. Whether it is anticipation or just better lateral quickness he is keep guys in front. I also expect that with more strength he will become a much more dynamic driver.



On a side not Childs' body and movement really look like Tobias Harris of the Pistons. However Tobias can shoot the NBA 3 pt shot. Childs needs to develop his whole game but his size and athletic ability are there.
M
Mars
Childs plays a lot like Shaq- At the free throw line.
F
frdbtr
Mika is our only NBA prospect at this time. Childs looks promising but is way too small for his skillset. He will need to get bigger and more physical and develop a jump shot. Everyone needs to learn how to play defense to even sniff the NBA, even Mika.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.