Archived Topic

No consequences for bad shots?

by UCChris · 12/4/2016

Advertisement
U
UCChris
Wanted to get your thoughts on the three point shooting situation. The three point shooting last night against USC was absolutely terrible. I, for one, was absolutely disgusted by some of the shots that Emery lobbed up there. I don't see any consequences happening when players are consistently throwing up really poor shots.
B
BlueK
You mean except Haws sitting out for many minutes in the middle of the game before coming in close to the end only to play a lot better? I hear this comment a lot about Rose and players not being benched, yet we have a lot of examples of it over the years. Then fans complain when those players transfer.
G
Guest
BlueK wrote:
You mean except Haws sitting out for many minutes in the middle of the game before coming in close to the end only to play a lot better? I hear this comment a lot about Rose and players not being benched, yet we have a lot of examples of it over the years. Then fans complain when those players transfer.

I can't think of an excellent player who has transferred from BYU. Just a few mediocre to decent players.
U
UCChris
You have a good point BlueK. I guess my question is why isn't Emery being benched?
B
Brayden Green
Two words. Elijah Bryant. The guy came here with all the hype in the world, and after 5 games of Bryant playing some of the most selfish basketball I have ever seen in my life (churchball included) he is now likely a permanent fixture on the bench.



Rose gets it.



Why didn't Rose bench LJ Rose earlier, is what I wonder? When they went to a zone a big part of the reason that the cougars had trouble scoring is because the Trojans clearly left Rose unguarded and doubled Mika and Emery. Rose had 3 or 4 times a possession where the ball would come to him at the top of the key and there wouldn't be anyone within 6 feet of him. Rose just sat there with the ball until the defense adjusted right back to him. It was weirdest thing to watch. Even Matt Montague would take a wide open 16 foot jumper or 3. Rose did the right thing benching him, but it was too late. You'll notice when BYU went on the scoring streaks, it was with Haws or Guinn (or Beo) at point and Emery at the 2. Gotta shoot that open J. You just have to.



Why doesn't he bench Emery? Because he likes it when his guards score more than 7 or 8 points a night, which is not something anyone besides Emery or Haws are capable of doing on a nightly basis. Also, Emery is the single best defender we have on the arc.
Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
Honestly, I didn't think that we took that many bad shots. We just missed them. I thought we gave good effort for the most part, including D, but just lost to a better team. Can't say that about the other 2 losses.
G
Guest
byufan4ever wrote:
Honestly, I didn't think that we took that many bad shots. We just missed them. I thought we gave good effort for the most part, including D, but just lost to a better team. Can't say that about the other 2 losses.

Emery did take one 35' shot at the end of the game that we really should have tried for a closer 3 pointer. But the game was clearly over by that point.



Really though every shot looks like a bad shot when you're shooting reasonable 3 pointers and only making 10% of them.
B
BlueK
UCChris wrote:
You have a good point BlueK. I guess my question is why isn't Emery being benched?


I guess you can't bench everyone. Who do you bring in for him? Beo or Leifson? The players you could bring in for him are currently shooting even worse.
B
BlueK
hawkwing wrote:
You mean except Haws sitting out for many minutes in the middle of the game before coming in close to the end only to play a lot better? I hear this comment a lot about Rose and players not being benched, yet we have a lot of examples of it over the years. Then fans complain when those players transfer.

I can't think of an excellent player who has transferred from BYU. Just a few mediocre to decent players.


They transferred out in almost all cases because they thought they were benched too much. The idea that Rose doesn't bench players is just wrong.
S
SpiffCoug
Brayden Green wrote:
Two words. Elijah Bryant. The guy came here with all the hype in the world, and after 5 games of Bryant playing some of the most selfish basketball I have ever seen in my life (churchball included) he is now likely a permanent fixture on the bench.



Rose gets it.



Why didn't Rose bench LJ Rose earlier, is what I wonder? When they went to a zone a big part of the reason that the cougars had trouble scoring is because the Trojans clearly left Rose unguarded and doubled Mika and Emery. Rose had 3 or 4 times a possession where the ball would come to him at the top of the key and there wouldn't be anyone within 6 feet of him. Rose just sat there with the ball until the defense adjusted right back to him. It was weirdest thing to watch. Even Matt Montague would take a wide open 16 foot jumper or 3. Rose did the right thing benching him, but it was too late. You'll notice when BYU went on the scoring streaks, it was with Haws or Guinn (or Beo) at point and Emery at the 2. Gotta shoot that open J. You just have to.



Why doesn't he bench Emery? Because he likes it when his guards score more than 7 or 8 points a night, which is not something anyone besides Emery or Haws are capable of doing on a nightly basis. Also, Emery is the single best defender we have on the arc.

To be honest, I never got the hype surrounding Bryant. I think he'll continue to progress the next several years and become a decent player for us. But he was from ELON. That's not even a real word, let alone a basketball power that plays in some strong league.
Advertisement
N
nuk13
Really though every shot looks like a bad shot when you're shooting reasonable 3 pointers and only making 10% of them.[/quote]



Hawk, I think you've hit on something here. How many games were won last year and this with the 3 point shot? How many were lost because of it? I'd like to see stats on it. How many missed 3 pointers end up as points for the other team. The 3 point shooters seem to think the next one will go in. All too soon time has expired and BYU has lost the game.
B
BlueK
SpiffCoug wrote:
Two words. Elijah Bryant. The guy came here with all the hype in the world, and after 5 games of Bryant playing some of the most selfish basketball I have ever seen in my life (churchball included) he is now likely a permanent fixture on the bench.



Rose gets it.



Why didn't Rose bench LJ Rose earlier, is what I wonder? When they went to a zone a big part of the reason that the cougars had trouble scoring is because the Trojans clearly left Rose unguarded and doubled Mika and Emery. Rose had 3 or 4 times a possession where the ball would come to him at the top of the key and there wouldn't be anyone within 6 feet of him. Rose just sat there with the ball until the defense adjusted right back to him. It was weirdest thing to watch. Even Matt Montague would take a wide open 16 foot jumper or 3. Rose did the right thing benching him, but it was too late. You'll notice when BYU went on the scoring streaks, it was with Haws or Guinn (or Beo) at point and Emery at the 2. Gotta shoot that open J. You just have to.



Why doesn't he bench Emery? Because he likes it when his guards score more than 7 or 8 points a night, which is not something anyone besides Emery or Haws are capable of doing on a nightly basis. Also, Emery is the single best defender we have on the arc.

To be honest, I never got the hype surrounding Bryant. I think he'll continue to progress the next several years and become a decent player for us. But he was from ELON. That's not even a real word, let alone a basketball power that plays in some strong league.


BYU had to out-recruit some pretty good teams to get him though (all of which are playing better than we are right now). Maybe they were all wrong too. Or maybe he's never come back enough from his knee injury.
G
Gunk
Emery is a bit overrated IMO. His defense is keeping him on the court and we need every ounce of perimeter defense we can muster. That and he clearly isn't afraid to shoot it, which our PG is.



Bryant is/was a ball hog. A couple good games at the beginning of the season against softies likely got to Bryant's head.



LJ needs to shoot more. We can't have a PG that isn't some sort of scoring threat. The inside out game doesn't work if there is only one outside option. We can't afford to play 4 on 5.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.