Archived Topic

BYU may have no longer lost games against Notre Dame in 2012 and 2013

by hawkwing · 11/22/2016

Advertisement
G
Guest
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/notre-dame-forced-to-vacate-wins-from-2012-and-2013-due-to-ineligible-players-174729997.html


The NCAA said Notre Dame will have to vacate wins from its 2012 BCS Championship Game season and the 2013 season because a student trainer did classwork for two football players.



According to the NCAA’s statement released Tuesday, the trainer “completed coursework” for the two players. In addition to the improper assistance for the two unnamed players, the trainer also “provided impermissible academic assistance to six additional football student-athletes in a total of 18 classes.”


BYU lost to Notre Dame in their 2012 BCS winning season 14-17 and again lost in 2013 to Notre Dame 13-23.


byu-nd.jpg
F
frdbtr
It won't show that we won them though, I think there will just be asterisks next to those seasons and Notre Dame will show no wins those seasons.
S
SpiffCoug
Do opponents usually adjust their W/L records when teams vacate wins? I don't think BYU will adjust anything on their end.
C
Cougarfan87
I believe we had this discussion before and it still shows as a loss for the losing team,but not a win for the team that has to vacate wins. I guess the logic is that they don't want arguments about new national champions, bowl game winners, with associated arguments about payouts, rings, trophies etc. Also, there is no guarantee the opponent would have won even if the cheater had played straight up. Hence the phrase "vacate wins" rather than "change the losses" for the opponent. I don't like it, but I believe that is the case...which does not discourage cheating at all.
G
Guest
They will never count as wins for the opposing team, but it doesn't seem fair that they should continue to count as losses. BYU should just have 1 fewer loss those years in my opinion.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
hawkwing wrote:
They will never count as wins for the opposing team, but it doesn't seem fair that they should continue to count as losses. BYU should just have 1 fewer loss those years in my opinion.

That would be logical. If ND didn't win then BYU didn't lose. But I guess that makes too much sense for some people.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.