Archived Topic

Kai Nacua, best Polynesian football player?

by hawkwing · 11/22/2016

Advertisement
A
a1247
It's a nice that he's being mentioned and it's great for this staff and there future recruiting efforts with the poly kids. But this award will be going to Sefo Liufau. He and his Colorado teammates have had an insane year.
A
AmmonCougar1
Not gonna lie. I don't get why this type of award exists. Who on the team is up for Caucasian College Football Player of the year? I have nothing against any other races but why keep creating stuff to emphasize the difference in skin tone or heritage? Here in Idaho Falls there is a Latino Soccer League. Guess how well it would go over if some of us Caucasians started a Caucasian Soccer League. (Dont' start with the jokes about how bad we would be in comparison. That's not the point here) Go Kai. I hope he wins!



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
M
Mars
All religions are great, but Mormons love cheering on other Mormons. Same thing.
B
BroncoBot
Mars wrote:
All religions are great, but Mormons love cheering on other Mormons. Same thing.

Mars, I do NOT see it as the same thing.



I agree with you AmmonCougar1.
Advertisement
G
Guest
I have no problem with minority groups recognizing themselves. I think it helps bring them into the game which is a positive.
B
BroncoBot
hawkwing wrote:
I have no problem with minority groups recognizing themselves. I think it helps bring them into the game which is a positive.

By "bring them into the game", do you mean it makes admirers of these candidates more likely to get into football? Just what we need, more reason for kids to think they'll get into football, be lauded with fame and glory and ride into the retirement sunset after a nice long NFL career. I taught scouts in Pennsylvania and had 3 kids think they were going to the NFL or NBA. These were 15-16 year olds who could NOT dribble and didn't have a snowball's chance in hell at getting onto the high school team. But they assured me that the NFL/NBA would see how good they were.



Sports are great if you're not trying to make a living from it. It's why this whole paying the athletes thing strikes me as silly. I understand the argument that if a University is making millions that the sports team responsible for those profits could justify receiving some of those funds. But kids aren't in universities on full ride scholarships to simply make money by playing a game on Saturday, at least, if they're smart that shouldn't be their focus. If that's why they are in school (and again their banking on that first round signing bonus) they are as dumb as my scouts were in PA.



I appreciate Kai Nacua being on this list. But I think the list in unnecessary. It's another feel good award that one group of people can get away with giving to themselves. As AmmonCougar pointed out, can you imagine the outrage if there was a best white college player award? By having this award the polynesian community is segregating itself. If America and college sports is really committed to ending racial inequality, they need to get rid of this type of stuff. OR, they need to allow stuff like "best white player award" which would just be downright stupid, right? What % of white players are there in NCAA football? maybe 10%? Hey congrats kid, you were the best player of 10% of players.



I just don't see the point of having this award.
P
pikoi
"Y'all don't know what it's like, being male, middle-class, and white." SMH.
F
frdbtr
BroncoBot wrote:
I have no problem with minority groups recognizing themselves. I think it helps bring them into the game which is a positive.

By "bring them into the game", do you mean it makes admirers of these candidates more likely to get into football? Just what we need, more reason for kids to think they'll get into football, be lauded with fame and glory and ride into the retirement sunset after a nice long NFL career. I taught scouts in Pennsylvania and had 3 kids think they were going to the NFL or NBA. These were 15-16 year olds who could NOT dribble and didn't have a snowball's chance in hell at getting onto the high school team. But they assured me that the NFL/NBA would see how good they were.



Sports are great if you're not trying to make a living from it. It's why this whole paying the athletes thing strikes me as silly. I understand the argument that if a University is making millions that the sports team responsible for those profits could justify receiving some of those funds. But kids aren't in universities on full ride scholarships to simply make money by playing a game on Saturday, at least, if they're smart that shouldn't be their focus. If that's why they are in school (and again their banking on that first round signing bonus) they are as dumb as my scouts were in PA.



I appreciate Kai Nacua being on this list. But I think the list in unnecessary. It's another feel good award that one group of people can get away with giving to themselves. As AmmonCougar pointed out, can you imagine the outrage if there was a best white college player award? By having this award the polynesian community is segregating itself. If America and college sports is really committed to ending racial inequality, they need to get rid of this type of stuff. OR, they need to allow stuff like "best white player award" which would just be downright stupid, right? What % of white players are there in NCAA football? maybe 10%? Hey congrats kid, you were the best player of 10% of players.



I just don't see the point of having this award.


Even kids who are sure fire NFL players sometimes don't make it. Taysom Hill probably would have been a 1st round pick if he had not had so many injuries. 3 injuries and the 26 year old Hill will probably not get drafted.
G
Guest
I don't think the reason to play sports should be to get to the pros for any player. I think playing sports as a youth encourages fitness, teamwork, and a host of other skills and benefits that are important for young people. Anything that encourages more kids to play sports is a good thing in my opinion.



If that includes best Polynesian FB player awards, and best math major FB player awards, whatever appeals to more young people to get them off their couches and out learning life skills the better.
Advertisement
M
Mars
Sometimes some of us don't think about just how easy it is to be in the ethnic majority.
P
pikoi
Mars wrote:
Sometimes some of us don't think about just how easy it is to be in the ethnic majority.


Well said.
B
BroncoBot
Mars wrote:
Sometimes some of us don't think about just how easy it is to be in the ethnic majority.

who is this ethnic majority that you speak of?



I consider the ethnic majority here in America to be "American". It's not a popular opinion in some circles, but I find those same circles to be largely divisive and short sighted in their goals. instead of celebrating diversity of all nations, race, orientations and backgrounds they pander to one particular group and use victim mentality to push their agenda which doesn't accomplish much more than whining.



had you said " Sometimes some of us don't think about just how easy it is to be in the RACIAL majority." I have no argument as I have been part of the "evil" majority my entire life. I really have no idea what it is like to be part of the minority you speak of If you are talking about race. But, my children may know what that is like eventually, certainly a possibility if the world is still around be the time I have grandchildren. I will be slightly disappointed if they are whining about not being able to have a "best white dude football player award" when that becomes a reality.



I've learned awards are usually highly political and don't necessarily represent the "best" of anything, especially when any racial, ethnic or other modifier is used as criteria.
G
Gunk
Eh...I don't really care, but this day in age I feel race (genetics) oriented awards, programs, etc are more divisive than inclusive.



One has little to no control over their genetics. Yet, if you are born with a certain set of genetics you get to stand in a different line.



Now, many may say because of my genetic makeup I got to be in a better line. That may because of my genetics and that may not be. My grandparents that immigrated over here would argue it had more to do with work and sacrifice.



The difference with a "best Mormon" award versus "best [insert race/genetics]" award is one can choose their religion. One cannot choose their genetics.



Now, I have no idea what it's like to go through life with cells that produce more pigment than those of European dissent, but I do know what's like to be the only Mormon around - the jokes, the weird looks when people find out, the parents that don't let your children play with their kids anymore, the office whisperings about you, etc. It kinda sucks at times and makes you stick closer to "your own kind." If growing in America is anything like that for people with certain skin tones, well then, I can certainly empathize and don't really blame them for having their own award.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.