Archived Topic

Jerseys: Time for a change?

by Isola · 10/13/2016

Advertisement
I
Isola
Doug Robinson wrote an article in the Deseret News arguing that it is time for BYU to remake their jerseys and adopt the tons of alternate jerseys that some schools do. I wanted to see how other fans felt.



In my opinion the football programs with tradition stick pretty close to their traditional jerseys with only a couple alternate jerseys thrown in each year. Examples are Texas, USC, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan and so on.



The upstart programs make up for a lack of tradition with flair. A new edgy jersey every week for your band-wagon fans. Examples are Oregon, TCU, Utah, Maryland and so on.



BYU doesn't need to substitute flair because we have tradition. We don't need a gimmick. I love a royal blue uni once or twice year, and another alternate jersey each year, but at least 8 times per year I want to see the Cougs run out on the field looking like the Cougars I love.



And one final thought...if you want to convince a BYU fan to switch up their jerseys, don't use Utah as an example.
S
Sammich
I totally agree with you. Keep the tradition as the staple, then shake it up with something a couple times a year.
A
ABYUFAN
Doug Robinson's article made no sense. I immediately regretted reading it. His article boils down to "BYU should change their uniform, just not like last time, and not like most of the other schools that change for the sake of change" and "they are currently doing a good job of mixing their current colors, but they ought to think about changing that too."
F
frdbtr
they only change I want is to go back to royal and ditch the navy jerseys. Other than that, I don't want to become an advertisement for Nike's latest intern.
J
Jarhead
I was not prepared for how terrible the article was going to be.
Advertisement
B
BOID
Agreed. Doug's issues were poorly justified in the article. Also, the dark blue is not quite navy, but more of a dark ultramarine. I like it more than the navy that USU wears. I still like the old royal blue, for nostalgic reasons, but the new dark blue has grown on me. It's contrast with white is very sharp and looks classic. These traditional uni's with the classic stripes and half white, half blue combos have made several top ten lists of the best looking in the FBS. They're right up there with USC, Oklahoma, ND, and until recently, Michigan ( went weird lately with added white and all yellow). None of those would have made the list if they had gone for change after funky change until they lost their traditional look. Teams like Arizona, Oregon, and Utah have lost their visual identity. When you see them on TV, you can't tell who they are, until you find the score box where the school names are displayed.



Just my thoughts. Sorry for the rant.
I
Isola
Most of my fan experience has been with the darker blue and not the royal blue. I like the royal blue on the field, but when it comes to me wearing the gear, I prefer the dark blue. I like that basically we have both.



When a school goes with the modern wacky unis it just seems like a desperate cry for attention.
M
Mars
Terrible article.
H
HoosierCougar
navy

royal

white

black



add sailor coug to one of them on the sleeves.



maybe add a sailor coug helmet decal on the black helmet.



that is enough.
M
McY
I'm good with an occasional subtle change here and there, but for the most part love the traditional uniforms. Love royal blue. Also like the dark blue. The uniforms I love the most are the ones that the teams wears when it gets a W.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.