Archived Topic

Basketball Media Day

by byufan4ever · 9/30/2016

Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
Where's all the bball hype ya'll???



I watched BYU SN's 2 hour coverage. Here's what I got out of it:



Nick Emery has broken ribs. Elijah Bryant ran into him. But he's not resting it all. You gotta get healthy for the season dude!



Elijah Bryant is the strongest on the team (according to his teammates that were interviewed).



L.J. Rose has the best handles.



Kyle Davis looks leaner, but in a good way. Says he's working on his footwork and post moves!



Eric Mika says he's working on his FT and 15 ft jumpers!



TJ Haws is the Ginger Mambo!!



What do you guys have to share from the media day yesterday??
B
BlueK
Davis will be a lot more effective playing as the second option in the post when he's in the game instead of the only option.
N
nuk13
Thanks for posting this. I went into BYU Cougars and listened to Rose and a couple of players. I guess you always have optimism at the start of the season but this team looks very good. There are inside and outside players. There are both old and young. I agree that Davis will be more effective when he doesn't have to carry the load he did last year. He may be the first option perhaps, until the others get up to speed. I hope we don't have the gunner's attitude the team had last year. Our talented bigs shouldn't just be rebounding for the gunners.
Q
Qman
I am excited for the potential of an inside-out offense. I am concerned about our ability to defend on the perimeter.
B
byufan4ever
Here are some additional pre-season updates:



http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/college/byu/basketball/men/byu-men-s-hoops-bryant-will-miss-first-two-weeks/article_6c37d5f5-6620-5df7-a8c9-e602812d811c.html


Sophomore guard Elijah Bryant was not in attendance after undergoing a procedure on his knee. BYU head coach Dave Rose said Bryant was struggling with some “discomfort” in his knee and while there was an option to manage the pain through the season, they felt it would be a better idea to take care of it now. Bryant is expected to miss a couple of weeks.


Senior graduate transfer L.J. Rose was at practice but did not participate in drills. Rose said the player, who has a long history of injuries during his college career, sprained his ankle recently and is “close” to getting back to participation.


Another injured member of the team is assistant head coach Terry Nashif, who had his foot in a boot and was using a medical scooter to get around practice. Rose said Nashif completed the off-season conditioning program with the players – senior forward Kyle Davis said Nashif was “a beast” – but broke his foot a few weeks later playing church basketball.


Sophomore guard Nick Emery said the Cougars are learning a new offense that will better take advantage of their strength in the post. He said while BYU played with four guards at time last year the Cougars plan to take advantage of Davis, returned missionaries Eric Mika and Payton Dastrup and true freshman Yoeli Childs and get them more post touches.
Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
BlueK wrote:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/five-minute-season-preview-the-west-coast-conference-010648523.html



They pick us 3rd in WCC


The WCC is going to have three really good teams. This is a good thing. But I'm not convinced we finish third, although I know SMC was good last year and brings everyone back.


Would you agree that there's no way the WCC gets 3 teams in the tourney? Even if we go undefeated in our OOC games, I think we need to finish #1 or #2 in the conference or then it comes down to winning the conference tourney. Otherwise we're out.
G
Guest
I don't agree that there's no way the WCC gets 3 teams, but it's extremely unlikely. Best to be in the top 2.
S
scott715
I think there will be 3 teams and could be a 4th if they win the tourney (I doubt that happening). SMC and GU should start the season ranked.
Advertisement
B
BlueK
byufan4ever wrote:
scott715 wrote:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/five-minute-season-preview-the-west-coast-conference-010648523.html



They pick us 3rd in WCC


The WCC is going to have three really good teams. This is a good thing. But I'm not convinced we finish third, although I know SMC was good last year and brings everyone back.


Would you agree that there's no way the WCC gets 3 teams in the tourney? Even if we go undefeated in our OOC games, I think we need to finish #1 or #2 in the conference or then it comes down to winning the conference tourney. Otherwise we're out.


No, I wouldn't agree with that. They'll take as many teams as have the resume that deserves to get in. They are very consistent on this point over the years across all leagues.



Now there are reasons why it may be unlikely to happen, but I guarantee you if you have the situation this year where all three teams are really good and therefore totally beat up their non-conference schedules, pick up a few key wins from that, and then none of them lose to any of the other WCC teams, they will all get in .
M
Mars
IMO, BYU will be better this year than last year, but not "for sure in the Tourny" good. More likely "probably in the Tourny" good, with a smaller chance of being solidly on the bubble.
B
BlueK
Let's look at the players from last year compared to this year. These six are on both teams:

Nick Emery (espn top 100)

Kyle Davis

Corbin Kaufusi

Jamal Aytes

Braiden Shaw

Davin Guinn



So then here are the rest from last year from most important to least, IMO:

Kyle Collinsworth

Chase Fischer

Zac Seljaas

Nate Austin (after this it's hard to pull more names that had much, if any impact)

Jordan Chatman

Jakob Hartsock

Jake Toolson



The rest of the players this year:

Eric Mika (espn top 100)

TJ Haws (espn top 100)

Payton Dastrup (espn top 100)

Elijah Bryant

Yoeli Childs (espn top 100)

LJ Rose (espn top 100)

Steven Beo

Zach Frampton

Colby Leifson



The difference between lists 1 and 2 is pretty vast. Will it take some time for them to get the most out of their chemistry? Yes. Fortunately the non-conference schedule has a good mix of quality teams that are good enough to give us a resume building win while still being beatable by this team. Because of the vastly improved overall talent, I don't see that much of a problem for us getting to the tournament again. I really don't. St. Mary's actually has a more difficult road, IMO, by virtue of the fact that their non-conference schedule is terrible. They have Dayton on the road and Stanford on the road along with all the rest being really bad teams at home. If they don't get a win over Dayton they're going to struggle to have anything on their resume other than whatever they can get against Gonzaga and BYU.
N
nuk13
[quote="BlueK"]Let's look at the players from last year compared to this year. These six are on both teams:

Nick Emery (espn top 100)

Kyle Davis

Corbin Kaufusi

Jamal Aytes

Braiden Shaw

Davin Guinn



So then here are the rest from last year from most important to least, IMO:

Kyle Collinsworth

Chase Fischer

Zac Seljaas

Nate Austin (after this it's hard to pull more names that had much, if any impact)

Jordan Chatman

Jakob Hartsock

Jake Toolson



The rest of the players this year:

Eric Mika (espn top 100)

TJ Haws (espn top 100)

Payton Dastrup (espn top 100)

Elijah Bryant

Yoeli Childs (espn top 100)

LJ Rose (espn top 100)

Steven Beo

Zach Frampton

Colby Leifson



The difference between lists 1 and 2 is pretty vast.



Time will tell but I am optimistic about this statement.
G
Gunk
It will come down to defense, particularly perimeter defense. If you go back and look at Rose's best teams, they ranked well defensively. Rose knows how to score. It's defense.



I'm not worried so much about post defense. We have plenty of big bodies there that can guard the paint. I'm worried about covering the perimeter.
Advertisement
S
scott715
Boom Shakalaka Report http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=16786469



The team was broken up into three 5 man teams that round robin scrimmaged, so we saw about 10 mins of each player. I will break down what I saw from each player:



Emery - Acted like the number one scoring option. Hit a couple of threes, ran the offense. Pretty much what you expect from him, just with more confidence (is that possible?).



Davis - Played within himself more than last year. Had a nice tip in for a bucket, had a couple of post sequences where he got a decent shot, rather than forcing something up. Solid defense/rebounding.



Mika - Besides making me want to yell "I must break you!!!" every time I see him (don't worry, didn't say it out loud), he looks great. Best big man athlete since Plaisted? In his second scrimmage he had several nice plays near the basket. Big key for him will be playing smart and avoiding foul trouble.



Davin Guinn - active, doesn't dominate the ball, had a nice bucket on a little leaner in the lane. Will get reserve minutes but he's a good athlete.



Frampton/Lefison/Beo - All three freshman guards had nice moments. Not sure any of them will be a complete replacement for Seljaas. None have Zach's height, but all seems slightly more athletic. But can they shoot like Zach? Maybe not, but both Leifson and Beo looked promising.



TJ Haws - By the end of the year, he might be our best player. I have never seen him play in person, and I know he will struggle a bit by being so slender. But man, he is a ballplayer. Smart, cool, skilled, and has a killer instinct. Whereas Emery is a gunslinger, Haws is an assassin. Jumped passing lanes and created a few deflections. Can handle the ball too, was able to penetrate several times. I am trying to temper my expectations for him because of his post-mission status and his inexperience, but I'm having a hard time not being really excited about him.



Yoeli Childs - Better athlete than I expected (maybe my fault for the expectation?). Very confident taking medium range jumpers and jump hooks. Nice blend of athleticism and skill, and he played hard. He will be excellent coming off the bench as a #3/4 big. He will have to overcome a learning curve, and I wonder how he will fare against the improved athleticism of college basketball. But he is not a stiff, he will be a nice player.



Dastrup - Love this guy, bigger than I expected but also more athletic than reputed. He is a big man, very strong. Had no problem banging down low but also was clearly comfortable stepping out and shooting corner 3s in rhythm. Played hard too. And he has a good personality, shook a ton of the fans hands, played around with people, just looked like a really likable kid. Learning curve will be his issue too. I'm guessing that he will be the 1st big off the bench when Mika gets in foul trouble or the opposition has a good 5, I think Yoeli looks a little bit more like the guy who will get PT when we need a 4 on the court.



Braiden Shaw - more athletic than I appreciated. Played good defense, fronted the opposing bigs well and denied entry passes. Missed an easy layup. He will see minimal time unless there are injuries.



Aytes - First off, he is huge. Could play tackle on the football team. Pretty defined too. Not the most explosive leaper, but actually looked healthy. Had a few nifty moves and decent jumpers. I can see him getting time as the 5th big. Better than I thought he would be.



Bryant - Did not dress. Taller than TJ and Nick. Hopefully he gets well soon.



LJ Rose - Also did not dress.



Corbin Kaufusi - Obviously, did not dress. He's a big, big man.



Walkons - I don't know any of their names. As a group they took a ton more warm up shots than anyone else. Can't knock the hustle.



If I had to guess about the eventual rotation:



Guards: Emery, Bryant, Rose, Haws get the bulk of the minutes. Davin Guinn will play defense when needed. Whichever of the 3 freshmen shoot/defend the best may get some spot time.



Forwards: Mika and Davis will start. Disturb and Childs will each get minutes, probably matchup dependent. Aytes is the 5th big, Shaw is probably the last man to get time, especially when Corbin joins the team.



I don't know how we'll fare in the WCC as Gonzaga and St. Mary's are both supposed to be really good. But I feel like this will eventually be a very good team. Losing KC leaves huge shoes to fill, but I think we have the talent to eventually get there. I do think we'll be more balanced than last year's team.
S
SpiffCoug
Great report!
N
nuk13
Thanks Scott for this "great report"! There will be a learning curve but I remain optimistic especially after your report.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.