Archived Topic

More Enjoyable Fandom

by Cougarfan87 · 9/26/2016

Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
When my wife scolded me for being so vocally critical of the football team's performance last week I realized the bad example I was setting for my children when I would shout at the TV, which was very different from the example my Dad showed when he was still alive. Perhaps because he was older when I was born (45) he was mellow by the time I became aware of sports and did not let them upset him too much.



So, I made a conscious effort this week to only celebrate the successes and look at the failures objectively and not critically. Did the defense simply make a great play? Did the offense make a mistake? If so, we all make all kinds of mistakes, and I am sure the players want nothing more than to play perfectly, so why get upset about it? Instead, I would just point out to my son what I think went wrong in a calm voice, and that was it. However, I did shout in celebration at the good plays and clap often for the successes.



I can tell you, when you start watching the game as a spectator looking for entertainment, and not making your happiness dependent on the outcome of the game, it becomes much more fun to watch, and you become much less critical of the fine young men that represent BYU. I don't think that makes me less of a fan. I think it makes fandom more enjoyable.



#Maturity...it only took 38 years.
J
jvquarterback
Still working on it at 41. Although I made the same decision a week before after the first loss.
S
snoscythe
I haven't gotten that far yet in reading "Things Losers Say". ;)
M
McY
Good food for thought. Thanks for posting.
C
Cougarfan87
snoscythe wrote:
I haven't gotten that far yet in reading "Things Losers Say". ;)


:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :lol:
Advertisement
J
jvquarterback
snoscythe wrote:
I haven't gotten that far yet in reading "Things Losers Say". ;)


I think my 9-year-old said something like that after I told her to stop yelling at the umpire when she struck out. She and Kalani have a lot in common.
F
frdbtr
I've had to watch/listen (depending on tv coverage) at my work the last few years because my job is a graveyard job. Keeping my cool is essential because it would be inappropriate to lash out while at work. It has been a blessing because it allows me to take a step back and evaluate objectively what is going on. I have found it to be very liberating and has helped me to enjoy watching the game more. I can't say that I don't fist pump every now and then when I see things like Oldroyd's game winning FG though. :)
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.