Archived Topic

Countdown to the career rushing yards record

by Fido · 9/25/2016

Advertisement
F
Fido
Jamaal Williams needed 930 yards to break Harvey Unga's rushing record of 3,455 yards in a career.



Game 1 - Arizona: 162 yards, 768 yards to go.

Game 2 - Utah: 58 yards, 710 yards to go.

Game 3 - UCLA: 28 yards, 682 yards to go.

Game 4 - West Virginia: 169 yards, 513 yards to go.

Game 5 - Toledo: 286 yards, 227 yards to go.

Game 6 - Michigan State: 162 yards, 65 yards to go.

Game 7 - Mississippi State: 76 yards. RECORD SET!



Game 8 - Boise State:

BYE WEEK

Game 9 - Cincinnati:

Game 10 - Southern Utah:

Game 11 - UMass:

Game 12 - Utah State:

Poinsettia Bowl - ???:
F
Fido
One thing that has me concerned with the running game is how it is so focused only on Taysom and Jamaal--both seniors. Here is the rushing attempts so far this year:



Jamaal Williams - 79 attempts in 4 games, almost 20/game

Taysom Hill - 47 attempts in 4 games, almost 12/game



Other backs - 13 attempts in 4 games, just over 3/game

Squally Canada 6

Alge Brown (SR) 4

Brayden El-Bakri 2

Micah Hanneman 1



Do we really have no depth at the position or are other contributors just being overlooked. My concern is having Jamaal burn himself out and not have his legs later in the game or especially later in the season. I was just surprised at how few carries other backs get when the general feeling was a deep RB corps leading into training camp. It could leave us with a #1 back whose experience is running less than 4 carries a game. That frightens me.
C
Cougarfan87
Fido wrote:
One thing that has me concerned with the running game is how it is so focused only on Taysom and Jamaal--both seniors. Here is the rushing attempts so far this year:



Jamaal Williams - 79 attempts in 4 games, almost 20/game

Taysom Hill - 47 attempts in 4 games, almost 12/game



Other backs - 13 attempts in 4 games, just over 3/game

Squally Canada 6

Alge Brown (SR) 4

Brayden El-Bakri 2

Micah Hanneman 1



Do we really have no depth at the position or are other contributors just being overlooked. My concern is having Jamaal burn himself out and not have his legs later in the game or especially later in the season. I was just surprised at how few carries other backs get when the general feeling was a deep RB corps leading into training camp. It could leave us with a #1 back whose experience is running less than 4 carries a game. That frightens me.


Yes, there is a significant drop off after Williams. Hopefully, some of the other backs get some experience in the softer part of the schedule. Didn't Riley Burt redshirt? I think he may be good.
B
BroncoBot
I'd love to see more Algie brown. guy has been solid last few years.
F
Fido
Updated with the yards from the Toledo game. It would be nice to have Jamaal set the record at home vs Mississippi State rather than on the road in Cincinnati.
Advertisement
G
Guest
I'm excited for him to shatter this record.
B
byufan4ever
I was disappointed when watching ESPN Goaline today and the top right of the screen was showing the top rushers for the day and Williams was not up there. It really needs to be top rushers for the week!
F
Fido
With his 162 yard performance against Michigan State, Jamaal should break the career rushing record next week at home against Mississippi State assuming he rushes near his average. He needs 65 yards.
M
Mars
You could countdown to the single season rushing record and the career rushing TD record as well!



P.S. Squally Canada is starting to look much better as well. Thanks o-line!
S
scott715
Could Squally threaten the record after Jamaal? I don't think so but it would be nice if he made a run at it.
Advertisement
G
Guest
scott715 wrote:
Could Squally threaten the record after Jamaal? I don't think so but it would be nice if he made a run at it.

No.
M
Mars
hawkwing wrote:
Could Squally threaten the record after Jamaal? I don't think so but it would be nice if he made a run at it.
No.

Uh-uh.
S
snoscythe
Mars wrote:
scott715 wrote:
Could Squally threaten the record after Jamaal? I don't think so but it would be nice if he made a run at it.
No.

Uh-uh.


Could he? Anything is possible, but he'd have to do in this season and then the next two years as the premier back what Jamaal did in four seasons as the #1.
E
EM_Puma
It's not much of a countdown at this point as unless he's injured this week, he should get it next game, or even if it's the one following, it's not much in doubt.



I lived through Luke Staley, Curtis Brown and Harvey Unga here since I moved to Utah the week of 911. Is it just me, or does it seem to anyone else that it seemed like Staley and unga were more prominent? I don't know how to explain better what I am saying, but it's been great to have Jamaal, but maybe because his career was chopped up and at the same time Taysom was a rushing force as well.
S
SkystheLimit
EM_Puma wrote:
I lived through Luke Staley, Curtis Brown and Harvey Unga here since I moved to Utah the week of 911. Is it just me, or does it seem to anyone else that it seemed like Staley and unga were more prominent? I don't know how to explain better what I am saying, but it's been great to have Jamaal, but maybe because his career was chopped up and at the same time Taysom was a rushing force as well.


I don't think so, I think he is a big-time fan favorite.
Advertisement
S
scott715
Staley won the Doak Walker award his last year. Jamaal will be hard pushed to do that.
S
SpiffCoug
scott715 wrote:
Staley won the Doak Walker award his last year. Jamaal will be hard pushed to do that.

Maybe not. There really isn't any great RBs from P5 teams that are putting up monstrous numbers. This time last year, Leonard Fournette and Derrick Henry were tearing up SEC teams. Jamaal's biggest competition at this point might only be Dalvin Cook from Florida St. But if Jamaal can stay ahead of him on yards, yards per attempt and touch downs he should be a finalist.



Right now, I think Jamaal is at least a finalist and stands as good a chance at winning it as any RB.
S
scott715
He needs to light up MSU this week.
H
HoosierCougar
He's getting some Heisman chatter. Haven't seen him higher than 8 on any list, but consider where he is in national totals at the half-way point and the fact that he'll likely gain more yards in the second half of the season.
F
Fido
Record set. Congrats Jamaal! This game was less about him but a great team win. Way to grind guys. Boise State on the blue turf is next up!
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.