Archived Topic

Toledo Preview 2016

by scott715 · 9/24/2016

Advertisement
S
scott715
3-0 with a bye this week. Game is Friday 8:15pm on ESPN2. This is their bowl game on national TV. We have to win this game.
F
frdbtr
This one is a must win if BYU wants to go bowling. If they lose this one it may be a while (like the SUU game) before they get the next one. Win it and the confidence could carry into the next difficult stretch.
M
McY
At least BYU showed signs of life on the offensive side of the ball, which is encouraging. Would be tough to go in to the next game after a blowout or if the offense still looked so stagnant like the weeks before. Home game up next. Hopefully, the progress/improvement continues and provides a W.
F
Fido
It doesn't look like Toledo has really been tested yet this season:

Week 1: Win @ Arkansas State 31-10

Week 2: Win vs Maine (FCS) 45-3

Week 3: Win vs Fresno State 52-17

Week 4: BYE



Toledo has a new head coach, but junior QB Logan Woodside has thrown for 11 TDs to 6 different receivers with only 1 INT. They had 2 rushers break out for 100 yard games against Fresno State (Kareem Hunt, Art Thompkins).



Defensively Toledo allows an average of 131 yards passing and 121 rushing and has 1 interception so far.



It has been a few years since Toledo has traveled out west, so hopefully a road trip to the west with a late start time also works in BYU's favor. But yes, this is pretty much a must win game with Michigan State, Mississippi State, and Boise State all coming up on the schedule after them.
G
Guest
I expect Toledo to be a tough team, but one that will have 2 or 3 guys with elite speed and athleticism, whereas the teams we've played have had 6 to 10 guys at that level. It should be an easier matchup for the Cougars.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
if those players with elite speed are in the receiving corps, They will still destroy BYU if we can't get pressure on their QB like last week.
Y
YNot
frdbtr wrote:
if those players with elite speed are in the receiving corps, They will still destroy BYU if we can't get pressure on their QB like last week.


I agree, but WVU has a legit Oline - as do the Ewetes and UCLA.



Toledo's Oline is nothing like the last 3 we have gone up against...
G
Guest
The biggest thing BYU needs to worry about is if the defense has figured out yet that it's legal for the RB to release to the flat and catch a pass. For whatever reason BYU could not figure that out against WVU.
S
snoscythe
hawkwing wrote:
The biggest thing BYU needs to worry about is if the defense has figured out yet that it's legal for the RB to release to the flat and catch a pass. For whatever reason BYU could not figure that out against WVU.


I felt like I was watching a Bronco defense "defend" wheel-routes all over again....
F
frdbtr
snoscythe wrote:
The biggest thing BYU needs to worry about is if the defense has figured out yet that it's legal for the RB to release to the flat and catch a pass. For whatever reason BYU could not figure that out against WVU.


I felt like I was watching a Bronco defense "defend" wheel-routes all over again....


I don't remember the last time a Bronco defense gave up 3 drives for TD's that went for more than 80 yards in 1 game (at BYU). In fact Bronco's defenses rarely gave up TD drives where the team had to drive the entire field.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
frdbtr wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
The biggest thing BYU needs to worry about is if the defense has figured out yet that it's legal for the RB to release to the flat and catch a pass. For whatever reason BYU could not figure that out against WVU.


I felt like I was watching a Bronco defense "defend" wheel-routes all over again....


I don't remember the last time a Bronco defense gave up 3 drives for TD's that went for more than 80 yards in 1 game (at BYU). In fact Bronco's defenses rarely gave up TD drives where the team had to drive the entire field.


I actually had a specific game in mind when I posted that --- BYU at TCU, 2009 -- I was in the stands for that debacle.



TCU had drives of 73, 80, 84, and 92 yards, all resulting in touchdowns....a lot of those yards coming on the good old wheel routes.



It was a re-run of the TCU beat-down the year before when they had touchdown drives of 72, 76, and 94 yards against the then #9 Cougars.
F
frdbtr
snoscythe wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
The biggest thing BYU needs to worry about is if the defense has figured out yet that it's legal for the RB to release to the flat and catch a pass. For whatever reason BYU could not figure that out against WVU.


I felt like I was watching a Bronco defense "defend" wheel-routes all over again....


I don't remember the last time a Bronco defense gave up 3 drives for TD's that went for more than 80 yards in 1 game (at BYU). In fact Bronco's defenses rarely gave up TD drives where the team had to drive the entire field.


I actually had a specific game in mind when I posted that --- BYU at TCU, 2009 -- I was in the stands for that debacle.



TCU had drives of 73, 80, 84, and 92 yards, all resulting in touchdowns....a lot of those yards coming on the good old wheel routes.



It was a re-run of the TCU beat-down the year before when they had touchdown drives of 72, 76, and 94 yards against the then #9 Cougars.


So basically 7 years ago. I would contend that the 2009 TCU team was as good as any team BYU has ever played and the Andy Dalton led offenses were as good of offenses as BYU has every played against. Not to give the defense a pass though, just to express that those offenses were better than the one we faced yesterday.
S
snoscythe
Not saying anything about how good/bad any given team was---all I ever said was that watching the RBs release to the flats for a dump pass they would turn into 15+ yard gains over-and-over-and-over had that same feeling of repeated futility as watching TCU use wheel-routes against Bronco time after time. Wasn't saying anyone was better than anyone else--just saying it had that same exasperating helpless feeling. You challenged me to refresh your memory, and I did.



Sorry if it's controversial to be reminded of games 7+ years ago (coached by coaches with a few years under their belts) by games this year (by a noob coaching staff). I'll avoid refreshing memories more than 3 years old.
B
BroncoBot
After studying up on Toledo a bit, they are a well built football team. This one has "struggle" written all over it for BYU. Toledo knows this is their chance to get on the road and make a lot of noise with a W.



BYU either wins a close one or Toledo rolls BYU. That's how I see this playing out.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
BroncoBot wrote:
After studying up on Toledo a bit, they are a well built football team. This one has "struggle" written all over it for BYU. Toledo knows this is their chance to get on the road and make a lot of noise with a W.



BYU either wins a close one or Toledo rolls BYU. That's how I see this playing out.


I agree which means another week of complaining about BYU or in particular Taysom Hill whether BYU wins or not because fans have looked at Toledo as something equal to a FBS team all through the off season. I've looked at this as a tough team from the beginning, they won 10 games last year and are 3-0 this year. They know how to win, they are well coached and BYU is going to have to play better on both sides of the ball than they have so far this year in order to win this game.
B
BroncoBot
frdbtr wrote:
After studying up on Toledo a bit, they are a well built football team. This one has "struggle" written all over it for BYU. Toledo knows this is their chance to get on the road and make a lot of noise with a W.



BYU either wins a close one or Toledo rolls BYU. That's how I see this playing out.


I agree which means another week of complaining about BYU or in particular Taysom Hill whether BYU wins or not because fans have looked at Toledo as something equal to a FBS team all through the off season. I've looked at this as a tough team from the beginning, they won 10 games last year and are 3-0 this year. They know how to win, they are well coached and BYU is going to have to play better on both sides of the ball than they have so far this year in order to win this game.

They have an excellent QB. Which as spiff always points out... is a good thing if you want to win.



Really hoping for a W on Friday. If anyone has a spare ticket I could buy, let me know. I may drive out.
M
Mars
Toledo is in the Top 10 in every major category currently.
B
BroncoBot
Mars wrote:
Toledo is in the Top 10 in every major category currently.

they remind me a lot of BYU from 06 to heaps.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.