Archived Topic

One Thing Kalani Learned From Kwhitt?

by snoscythe · 9/18/2016

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
How to pick offensive coordinators. :sulk:
G
Gunk
snoscythe wrote:
How to pick offensive coordinators. :sulk:

LOL!



Not looking good for Detmer.
K
KingCoug
He's a 1st year OC in a coaching overhaul against possibly BYU's toughest schedule ever. Give him time.



And put him on the booth!
T
TheDean
Gunk wrote:
How to pick offensive coordinators. :sulk:

LOL!



Not looking good for Detmer.


Detmer is not the problem the O-line is problem as it is pathetic. :angry:
B
BroncoBot
TheDean wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
How to pick offensive coordinators. :sulk:

LOL!



Not looking good for Detmer.


Detmer is not the problem the O-line is problem as it is pathetic. :angry:

I don't think there is a magic bullet for the offense.

detmer

hill

o - line



there are a lot of problems
Advertisement
G
Gunk
BroncoBot wrote:
Gunk wrote:
How to pick offensive coordinators. :sulk:

LOL!



Not looking good for Detmer.


Detmer is not the problem the O-line is problem as it is pathetic. :angry:

I don't think there is a magic bullet for the offense.

detmer

hill

o - line



there are a lot of problems


It's a mixed bag of issues. Detmer himself said it's on him, though. Whether it's his fault or not, he doesn't look good.
B
BroncoBot
Gunk wrote:
TheDean wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
How to pick offensive coordinators. :sulk:

LOL!



Not looking good for Detmer.


Detmer is not the problem the O-line is problem as it is pathetic. :angry:

I don't think there is a magic bullet for the offense.

detmer

hill

o - line



there are a lot of problems


It's a mixed bag of issues. Detmer himself said it's on him, though. Whether it's his fault or not, he doesn't look good.

to his credit, he's done enough to lose by a combined 4 points to legit pac12 teams. BUT, those losses were on the offense. couldn't ask the defense to do more the last 2 games. butch pau'u has been fun to watch all year.
F
frdbtr
Detmer is not the overall problem. The offensive line, IMO, is the main problem. The receivers are the second biggest problem, the play calling is 3rd and Taysom simply does not look comfortable (do you blame him when he gets pressure on every play). I still believe that Detmer can be very good, lets give this offense some time. I don't want to see any big changes quite yet.
M
McY
frdbtr wrote:
Detmer is not the overall problem. The offensive line, IMO, is the main problem. The receivers are the second biggest problem, the play calling is 3rd and Taysom simply does not look comfortable (do you blame him when he gets pressure on every play). I still believe that Detmer can be very good, lets give this offense some time. I don't want to see any big changes quite yet.

I don't at all claim to be a football expert, but I love BYU sports, especially football and my perspective is that while the O line is not doing Hill any favors, it seemed like there were a handful of plays tonight against UCLA where Hill actually did have time to make a throw, and had a wide open receiver, but his throw was not even in the same County as the open receiver. The TD pass at the end of the game was nice to see, but UCLA's D was playing soft and as though it didn't much care what we did on that drive.
F
frdbtr
McY wrote:
Detmer is not the overall problem. The offensive line, IMO, is the main problem. The receivers are the second biggest problem, the play calling is 3rd and Taysom simply does not look comfortable (do you blame him when he gets pressure on every play). I still believe that Detmer can be very good, lets give this offense some time. I don't want to see any big changes quite yet.

I don't at all claim to be a football expert, but I love BYU sports, especially football and my perspective is that while the O line is not doing Hill any favors, it seemed like there were a handful of plays tonight against UCLA where Hill actually did have time to make a throw, and had a wide open receiver, but his throw was not even in the same County as the open receiver. The TD pass at the end of the game was nice to see, but UCLA's D was playing soft and as though it didn't much care what we did on that drive.


Hill was being harassed all night, when you are running for your life, it gets into your head. I feel like his timing was off even when he had time because the UCLA defense was in his head. I think Taysom hill is still a special player. He has not looked comfortable this year for some reason, it will be up to the coaches to make the decision on a Qb change and I will support them if they make that decision. If they do, I hope it works, if it doesn't we will be screwed.
Advertisement
M
McY
frdbtr wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
Detmer is not the overall problem. The offensive line, IMO, is the main problem. The receivers are the second biggest problem, the play calling is 3rd and Taysom simply does not look comfortable (do you blame him when he gets pressure on every play). I still believe that Detmer can be very good, lets give this offense some time. I don't want to see any big changes quite yet.

I don't at all claim to be a football expert, but I love BYU sports, especially football and my perspective is that while the O line is not doing Hill any favors, it seemed like there were a handful of plays tonight against UCLA where Hill actually did have time to make a throw, and had a wide open receiver, but his throw was not even in the same County as the open receiver. The TD pass at the end of the game was nice to see, but UCLA's D was playing soft and as though it didn't much care what we did on that drive.


Hill was being harassed all night, when you are running for your life, it gets into your head. I feel like his timing was off even when he had time because the UCLA defense was in his head. I think Taysom hill is still a special player. He has not looked comfortable this year for some reason, it will be up to the coaches to make the decision on a Qb change and I will support them if they make that decision. If they do, I hope it works, if it doesn't we will be screwed.

True, he was harassed all night, which I'm guessing didn't help him feel settled in the moments when he actually had an open receiver and a second to pass. I still was hoping for much better. Hill's confidence, demeanor, facial expressions, all look somewhat defeated. Hope that changes, for him and all of offense. Even Williams did not seem as pumped up as usual. I still think things will improve a lot, no matter which QB gets the call and I will excited either way.
M
McY
And I agree that if a change in QB is made, and doesn't work, that is a major problem. Fo rizzle. :bug:
C
Cougs_Rule
Old Taysom is > Tanner; but only when Taysom can run like old Taysom.

Old Taysom >> Current Taysom. Sad as it is.

Current Taysom being two steps slower and unable to get the edge-- even when the old Taysom offense--Read Option--was called vs ucla, is not getting the job done.

Oline inconsistent to mediocre.

WRs are NOT good. But soft.

Current Taysom without the old Taysom run threat is NOT good.

Taysom is a read option qb. Not. West coast O QB.

Sad to conclude it, but this is bad in top of bad. The O woes are not even close to all his fault, but he is not getting the job done.

Coaches have a very hard decision.. But they can't wait much longer or the season will be tanked.
B
Brayden Green
There is only so much you can do with a miserable offensive line and Riley Nelson version 2.0.
F
Fido
I know people love Taysom Hill and call him special and everything. But he has been subpar all season. So has the offensive line. So has the WR crew. So has the play calling. Things need to get better all the way around or this season will definitely be a down one.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Old Taysom is > Tanner; but only when Taysom can run like old Taysom.

Old Taysom >> Current Taysom. Sad as it is.

Current Taysom being two steps slower and unable to get the edge-- even when the old Taysom offense--Read Option--was called vs ucla, is not getting the job done.

Oline inconsistent to mediocre.

WRs are NOT good. But soft.

Current Taysom without the old Taysom run threat is NOT good.

Taysom is a read option qb. Not. West coast O QB.

Sad to conclude it, but this is bad in top of bad. The O woes are not even close to all his fault, but he is not getting the job done.

Coaches have a very hard decision.. But they can't wait much longer or the season will be tanked.

I'd expect the guy who is always beating the "schedule is too difficult" dead horse to at least defend the qb facing the toughest opening 3 game stretch in what, 20 years?
S
snoscythe
For those saying Ty will be fine and he just needs time---where's your evidence to support that hope? I've just watched an offense get progressively worse in three successive weeks. There's not one facet of it that's working anymore. Jamaal Williams was a lone bright spot, but even he has been rendered ineffective.



Those pinning their hope on a QB change are hoarding fool's gold--even if Tanner can make better passes with the complete lack of pass protection, he won't survive more than a week or two with the shots he'll take in this "pocket".
M
mtnradio
I believe Ty will be fine ... I believe that because of his knowledge of football and experience. He's watching the wheels come off with an O line riddled with injuries and inconsistent play; the receivers are soft, and not making the same reads as the qb; Williams was questionable health wise; hill is slow, tentative, throws too hard, and I think he's full of doubt. This year's schedule is brutal, but with all the problems we see some good too.



Hill plays better when the tempo picks up, the rhythm of the game flows better for hill with some speed to it. I think Ty works with that. I think the last 2 weeks the opposing D has had a better plan, but that will change ... not all D's will be that tough.



I've got blue goggles on ... and I'm keeping it that way.!
B
Brayden Green
Ty doesn't need time. His play calling is on point. He needs to pull his struggling starter. One small piece of evidence (out of nearly a dozen) is that he called a hb screen (or maybe just a hb out), which would have went for huge yards - at least 20 yards of open field - to counter the blitz deep in our territory, and taysom flat out missed the lob pass from like 10 feet away and threw it way behind the running back.



There is only so much you can do when your qb is throwing and making decisions line Taysom. If Taysom were the Sophomore and Tanner the senior Taysom would have been pulled at the half (at the very least). But this isn't a video game or fantasy football, you can't just pull out your failing senior starter without it being a huge morale shift in the locker room.



Reports are that pulling Taysom was discussed at the half between the coaching staff, but they wanted to give Taysom "more chances.". Tanner would immediately make things better because defenses would have to respect his arm on midfield throws and deep, and that would open up lanes for Jamal, who really is the only saving grace of this offense. Jamal gets like 5 carries in the second half of the Utah and UCLA games, because teams are making us one dimensional.



That is a personnel problem. Taysom has to play better, or he spends the rest of the year holding a clipboard. Period.
G
Gunk
This isn't the season for a floundering offense. We're trying to court the Big 12. Offense needs to become dynamic and pronto.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.