Archived Topic

Are BYU fans stuck in a ground hog day?

by frdbtr · 9/14/2016

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
I am having flashbacks to 2009 when BYU fans were calling for the benching of Max Hall in order to start Riley Nelson of all people, all because Max had thrown a few interceptions to start the season. Now don't misunderstand me, I am not saying that Tanner is in any way comparable to Riley Nelson, my point is in the absurdity of calling for the Sr QB to be benched at this point in the season. Back then Bronco came to the defense of his starting QB by calling the fans ignorant. Apparently Kalani has learned that lesson.
K
KingCoug
frdbtr wrote:
I am having flashbacks to 2009 when BYU fans were calling for the benching of Max Hall in order to start Riley Nelson of all people, all because Max had thrown a few interceptions to start the season. Now don't misunderstand me, I am not saying that Tanner is in any way comparable to Riley Nelson, my point is in the absurdity of calling for the Sr QB to be benched at this point in the season. Back then Bronco came to the defense of his starting QB by calling the fans ignorant. Apparently Kalani has learned that lesson.


I just hope Detmer and Taysom get this offense going. I know Detmer is a first time OC and we have a very tough 8 game stretch but that's why Taysom needs to step up and be the senior QB we've all been expecting to see.
F
frdbtr
KingCoug wrote:
I am having flashbacks to 2009 when BYU fans were calling for the benching of Max Hall in order to start Riley Nelson of all people, all because Max had thrown a few interceptions to start the season. Now don't misunderstand me, I am not saying that Tanner is in any way comparable to Riley Nelson, my point is in the absurdity of calling for the Sr QB to be benched at this point in the season. Back then Bronco came to the defense of his starting QB by calling the fans ignorant. Apparently Kalani has learned that lesson.


I just hope Detmer and Taysom get this offense going. I know Detmer is a first time OC and we have a very tough 8 game stretch but that's why Taysom needs to step up and be the senior QB we've all been expecting to see.


I also expected to see a bit more aggression than we have. Detmer's offense has been vanilla, and Taysom looks tentative running it. Having said that, I feel like the offensive line and the poor/soft receiver play has more to do with the offense struggling than the QB. I also feel like the play calling will get less vanilla once the offensive line gives the plays more time to develop.
S
SpiffCoug
What's the saying in business, you have to spend money to make money.



I wonder if the offense could benefit from a similar mantra this week, in order to make chances for big plays you have to take chances for big plays.



Sure, the OL is struggling and may not be blocking long enough for deep routes to develop, but maybe we need to start calling those plays to start loosening up the defense.



Take chances to make chances!
F
frdbtr
SpiffCoug wrote:
What's the saying in business, you have to spend money to make money.



I wonder if the offense could benefit from a similar mantra this week, in order to make chances for big plays you have to take chances for big plays.



Sure, the OL is struggling and may not be blocking long enough for deep routes to develop, but maybe we need to start calling those plays to start loosening up the defense.



Take chances to make chances!


They are either going to have to start blocking better or start moving the pocket around which, of course, then removes half the field for the play. Taysom has literally had guys in his face as soon as the ball touches his hands after the snap, including the 2 point conversion play. The oline really needs to step up.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
SpiffCoug wrote:
What's the saying in business, you have to spend money to make money.



I wonder if the offense could benefit from a similar mantra this week, in order to make chances for big plays you have to take chances for big plays.



Sure, the OL is struggling and may not be blocking long enough for deep routes to develop, but maybe we need to start calling those plays to start loosening up the defense.



Take chances to make chances!

This was my biggest beef with the Utah game. There wasn't a lot of aggression from the offense. I definitely seemed we were playing into the defenses hands. Should have been able to go "over the top" a little more with how tight the CBs were playing.
F
frdbtr
BroncoBot wrote:
What's the saying in business, you have to spend money to make money.



I wonder if the offense could benefit from a similar mantra this week, in order to make chances for big plays you have to take chances for big plays.



Sure, the OL is struggling and may not be blocking long enough for deep routes to develop, but maybe we need to start calling those plays to start loosening up the defense.



Take chances to make chances!

This was my biggest beef with the Utah game. There wasn't a lot of aggression from the offense. I definitely seemed we were playing into the defenses hands. Should have been able to go "over the top" a little more with how tight the CBs were playing.


Should have, other than the fact that the receivers were being bumped right at the line and then not getting open afterwards, plus Taysom was usually running for his life by then and wasn't seeing anyone open even if they were. There is a lot wrong right now and IMO, it all starts with the offensive line which has frankly been playing terrible.
B
BoiseBYU
Haha I saw the topic and thought you were talking about the Big 12
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.