YNot wrote:
The ball was thrown way past the receiver. It was a poorly thrown ball. First play of the game.
Course, if Detmer called a run play for the 1st play of the game, we wouldn't have spotted Utah 7 points in the first 30 seconds of the game.
I get your point. Plenty of mistakes were made all around. There are plenty of shoulda's woulda's and coulda's. The fact of the matter is, though, the QB has his hands on the ball the vaste majority of the game. It's his job to direct the football. So the microscope on Taysom isn't particularly uncalled for.
You can touch it, you can catch it. Poorly thrown ball or not. But the ball CLEARLY hits Hifo in the hands and it is the volleyball bump by Hifo that enables the Ewete DB to make the pick-6 play.
I do blame the receiver Hifo on that play...but I'm not calling for his head.
In my opinion, the most surprising thing about this play is that for the very first play call of the rivalry game on the road, Detmer dialed up a pass play to a FRESHMAN receiver....
I don't particularly agree with the whole "if you can touch it you can catch it" mantra. And I certainly don't agree that said mantra therefore means the QB is free from any blame.
A ball thrown at the ankles of a WRs is a poorly thrown ball. A ball thrown past or behind a WR is also a poorly thrown ball. A ball thrown over the head of a WR is a poorly thrown ball. A WR may get a finger or two on the ball in anyone of those situations, but it's hard to pull in a ball when only a finger digit or two can get to it. To say, "Oh, the WR touched it, it's the WR's fault the ball wasn't catched" is to ignore up to 50% of what goes into completing a pass.
I agree, the real error in this scenario was the play call. It should have been a hand off to Jamal.
Again, while I have always thought Tanner should have been the starting QB, that ship has sailed. I'm not calling for Taysom's head. I am calling for improvement. The question we should be asking ourselves is whether we're going to get it.