S
SpiffCougWeek 2!
I believe I posted before the game that I was excited to see what new and humiliating way BYU would find this year to lose to Utah. A pick 6 on the first play, coupled with a poorly designed 2-point conversion play coupled with even worse execution was about what I expected.
So here some of my observations including the weekly RER numbers.
Here are the Receiver Efficiency Rating (RER) with season RER in parentheses.
RER
Kaufusi, DL, 175.60
Williams, RB, 121.40 (127.09)
Laulu-Pututau, WR, 112.08 (124.73)
Trinnaman, WR, 106.70 (130.76)
Juergens, WR, 95.14 (95.14)
Pearson, WR, 94.67 (165.60)
Kurtz, WR, 78.80 (81.37)
Hifo, WR, -20.60 (-20.60)
RBs, 121.40 (134.63)
WRs, 89.40 (113.47)
I believe I posted before the game that I was excited to see what new and humiliating way BYU would find this year to lose to Utah. A pick 6 on the first play, coupled with a poorly designed 2-point conversion play coupled with even worse execution was about what I expected.
So here some of my observations including the weekly RER numbers.
- This was the third game since 2006 that a BYU opponent turned the ball over six times. The combined score of the two previous games was BYU 96 Opponents 7.
- Through two games, BYU has just three plays of 20 or more yards. Since 2006, BYU only has three such stretched (two in 2010 and on e in 2007).
- While BYU is struggling being explosive, they do have 25 plays between 10-19 yards. It took three games last year before BYU hit that number.
- BYU's 387 yards passing are the fewest through two games since 2014 when BYU totaled just 304.
- Through two games BYU is giving up 4.2 yards per rush. It's the first time since 2010 the defense yielded 4 yards per rush to open the season.
- After four targets resulted in four catches for the tight ends, they dropped their only target against the Utes.
- The Cougars are playing quite well in the blue zone this year. They've scored on all their blue zone possessions this year with three TDs and 2 FGs.
- The team with the better Passer Efficiency Rating (PER) has won both games this year, 12 in a row and 22 of the last 25 (.880).
- Utah has had a better PER in five straight games.
- Coach Sitake is now 1-1 (.500) against teams in a red helmet.
- BYU covered the 1.5 point spread. It was the first try in five games that BYU covered the spread against the Utes.
Here are the Receiver Efficiency Rating (RER) with season RER in parentheses.
RER
Kaufusi, DL, 175.60
Williams, RB, 121.40 (127.09)
Laulu-Pututau, WR, 112.08 (124.73)
Trinnaman, WR, 106.70 (130.76)
Juergens, WR, 95.14 (95.14)
Pearson, WR, 94.67 (165.60)
Kurtz, WR, 78.80 (81.37)
Hifo, WR, -20.60 (-20.60)
RBs, 121.40 (134.63)
WRs, 89.40 (113.47)

