Archived Topic

55% in Glendale, 15% in Pasadena, 5% in SLC.

by jvquarterback · 9/12/2016

Advertisement
J
jvquarterback
I know tickets were more expensive to the game but why doesn't BYU havea stonger presence @Utah? And tickets were no more expensive than for the LVB.



Are the Ute fans really that scary? If I lived in Utah I'd pay for tickets. I'd even buy season tickets and sell the rest if that's what it took. I might draw the line at a donation to the athletic department but I'd even consider that if that's what it took.



Give me some perspective here. ASU-UA, USC-UCLA, Stanford-Cal -- they all have a pretty decent contingent of away fans at the rivalry game. Why doesn't that happen for BYU-Utah?
B
BroncoBot
puzzling. makes me wonder if utah byu fans are just a little spoiled due to proximity and the game being in TV at the same time. I would have gone (5 hours away) if I could have made it work.
G
Guest
Utah actually had an agreement to allot so many tickets to BYU as part of the contract for the game. They decided however to only give BYU half of that allotment and sell the other half to Utah fans and pay the contracted penalty for doing so. It was a classless move by a classless organization.
H
HoosierCougar
Couple things, the group that bought our tickets spend way more than face value to get them... like 7X more. The price on the face isn't what the tix were going for.



Limited capacity. The announced attendance was 46K, and that's with SRO, which is probably 2K at least. Utah does a lot of things right at their game and brings 40K+ each week. The tickets are hard to come by if you aren't MUSS or season ticket holder.



I suspect if their stadium held 50K, you'd start seeing larger visiting crowds.
B
byufan4ever
hawkwing wrote:
Utah actually had an agreement to allot so many tickets to BYU as part of the contract for the game. They decided however to only give BYU half of that allotment and sell the other half to Utah fans and pay the contracted penalty for doing so. It was a classless move by a classless organization.


Is there proof of this? I don't doubt that they would do something like this, but before I share this with others I would like some links or other evidence that it is true.
Advertisement
B
billbillbillbill
775391077196926976

I would assume the marching band took up a chunk of them.
J
jvquarterback
billbillbillbill wrote:
775391077196926976

I would assume the marching band took up a chunk of them.


That's pretty smart. I hope BYU follows suit. I think Utah fans will behave better if they are separated.



BYU fans could buy half the stadium in SLC if they wanted. I'm surprised that doesn't happen. It should be viewed as another home game for BYU just like ND@Purdue.
E
EM_Puma
In all honesty, I can't see myself ever going to a game there. I don't feel safe. Last time there we were threatened by a guy in his 30's-40's and I was with children and my mother--yeah--very threatening. What with so many individuals with gun permits in Utah, I don't want to be anywhere around there. I still go to BB games at Huntsman, and I have had no bad experiences there, but RES is a different story.
S
SpiffCoug
How about we just stop playing Utah. If they can't treat us with respect, then let's drop them.
S
stuckinbig10country
To answer the original question:



55% in Glendale - 60k+ seat stadium, U of A doesn't travel well even in state, large Mormon population right up the road, memorial day weekend, 10 hour drive for most of the fan base max.



15% in Pasadena - 90k+ seat stadium (used to be over 100k), large Mormon population in So Cal, not a conference game or rival so fans more willing to sell their tickets.



5% in SLC - 45k seat stadium, rivalry game, apparent ticket issues.



Stadium size and care factor of home teams are the biggest factor.
Advertisement
J
jvquarterback
EM_Puma wrote:
In all honesty, I can't see myself ever going to a game there. I don't feel safe. Last time there we were threatened by a guy in his 30's-40's and I was with children and my mother--yeah--very threatening. What with so many individuals with gun permits in Utah, I don't want to be anywhere around there. I still go to BB games at Huntsman, and I have had no bad experiences there, but RES is a different story.


If BYU had 20,000 fans there I'm sure you'd feel safer. We need a campaign to buy up the seats there in 2018. They have home games against Oregon and USC that year so you should be able to make most of your money back selling on stubhub. I can't make it Thanksgiving weekend or I'd already be planning on going.
B
byufan4ever
It's against my religion to go there. We've been told to "stand ye in holy places." 8)
B
BOID
byufan4ever wrote:
It's against my religion to go there. We've been told to "stand ye in holy places." 8)


:lol:
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.