Archived Topic

Questions and observations

by KingCoug · 9/11/2016

Advertisement
K
KingCoug
1. Looking at the rest of the schedule it's not unrealistic to think this team could go 8-4, provided we stay healthy.



2. People need to stay on the Detmer bandwagon. He's got a great football mind but still has a learning curve. I have high expectations for him and Mangum in the future.



3. Why is Bernard on D? If memory serves, he was one of our most promising running backs. Who is waiting in wings after Williams leaves?



4. Speaking of Williams, will he be ready to go for the UCLA game? What about Tuiloma?



5. Will this coaching staff do better at learning from their mistakes and not repeat them?



6. Even if it takes a few years will the coaching change bring us better O and D lines?



7. Given all the Poly coaches on staff, will the "Poly Pipeline" swing to BYU?



8. I'll say it again. If that was a PAC 12 crew last night, I blame BYU for agreeing to it. It's common sense that all non-conference games should have a neutral officiating crew. Especially considering the reputation PAC 12 refs have.



9. BYU absolutely needs to sell all of Utah's tickets for the game next year. Give those jerks a taste of there own medicine.



10. If we don't beat Utah in Provo next year, I wonder if it will take Kyle retiring to get us another win.



11. The Utes still suck and if there's any justice in the world Whittingham will succumb to lower intestinal disease.
F
frdbtr
I'm not off the Detmer bandwagon. I am confident that once he gets it figured out the offense can be very explosive, he has only been the Ocoordinator for 2 games. I am off the Cahoon bandwagon though. Our soft receivers look even softer again this year. Watching other teams and the ESPN highlights, our receivers simply look soft, and they aren't catching the ball. There was absolutely no reason not to have kept Holiday. I am disappointed in our offensive line. BYU simply has not had a decent Oline coach since Grimes left and before that French.
F
Fido
I saw a tweet early this morning from Jamal Williams where he said not to worry, he is fine and will be ready for UCLA. I'll post it if I can find it again.



Edit: Here it is:
774828118095691776
F
Fido
On RBs, here is the depth chart:

- Jamal Williams, SR

- Squally Canada, SO

- Trey Dye, JR

- Riley Burt, SO



There are no RBs on the missionary list that will be returning for 2017. In 2018, Sione Finau out of Kearns will be back. I fully expect that the new coaching staff will be looking to recruit more talent at RB this next year.
B
BroncoBot
KingCoug wrote:
1. Looking at the rest of the schedule it's not unrealistic to think this team could go 8-4, provided we stay healthy.



2. People need to stay on the Detmer bandwagon. He's got a great football mind but still has a learning curve. I have high expectations for him and Mangum in the future.



3. Why is Bernard on D? If memory serves, he was one of our most promising running backs. Who is waiting in wings after Williams leaves?



4. Speaking of Williams, will he be ready to go for the UCLA game? What about Tuiloma?



5. Will this coaching staff do better at learning from their mistakes and not repeat them?



6. Even if it takes a few years will the coaching change bring us better O and D lines?



7. Given all the Poly coaches on staff, will the "Poly Pipeline" swing to BYU?



8. I'll say it again. If that was a PAC 12 crew last night, I blame BYU for agreeing to it. It's common sense that all non-conference games should have a neutral officiating crew. Especially considering the reputation PAC 12 refs have.



9. BYU absolutely needs to sell all of Utah's tickets for the game next year. Give those jerks a taste of there own medicine.



10. If we don't beat Utah in Provo next year, I wonder if it will take Kyle retiring to get us another win.



11. The Utes still suck and if there's any justice in the world Whittingham will succumb to lower intestinal disease.

tuiloma will be out for at least 2 more weeks based on the last report. I'd honestly be surprised if he comes back and stays healthy if he does.



yes, sell ALL utah tickets next year. I'll buy 10 if needed.

our band needs to be as loud as possible for as long as possible every time utah is on the field. Ever since 2005 Sr night (and loss to utah) I've hated their dumbass band who played through the entire Sr night ceremony at LES. just downright intolerable.



It was a big xii crew, not pac.



based on recent history, our best shot at beating the utes is at rice eccles.
Advertisement
M
mtnradio
According to players, including one who is now on offense because Bernard moved to D ... the depth at running back is huge. In addition to those listed above, there are another 3 or 4 solid RB's ... not world-beaters, but solid. FB is more shallow with only 2 backing up Brown. Bernard spent a lot of time talking to the new staff and felt he would get more playing time and contribute better if he moved to D. Right now, looks like it is paying off for him.



8-4 is realistic ... and I'd be happy with it this year.



I'm still on the Detmer bandwagon. He has shown some growth already ... but I'm hoping for some more excitement from him. The game yesterday was very vanilla.



I do believe this staff will learn from their mistakes. Everything I hear about the coaches is good. Ed Lamb is a huge gain. I LOVE Sitake's fire and love of his team. Tuiaki has been quietly great and Detmer ... well, I"m still on his bandwagon, love the guy and looking forward to success. On the topic of learning from mistakes: is it just me, or does Taysom seem to do better when the pace of the offense is increased a bit. Both 2 minute drills, the team was breaking to the line a little faster, TH quicker with the count and seemed sharper to me. I wish we'd use those quick outs, slants, etc more ... both games we moved the ball easily when we went to that.
S
scott715
Riley Burt is redshirting. I would had put in Bernard for the 2 point conversion.
J
Jarhead
scott715 wrote:
Riley Burt is redshirting. I would had put in Bernard for the 2 point conversion.

Interesting idea. Utah may have called a timeout on that one.
F
Fido
I think they would have liked to redshirt Wilcox but after McChesney's ejection Wilcox had to take the field.
G
Gunk
I do think Taysom does better at a more uptempo pace. He's a fast paced, rythem kind of guy. I'd sprinkle in some more 2 min drill type scenarios if I'm Detmer. I don't believe in go fast go hard all the time, but when used strategically uptempo can be very effective.



Our receivers are soft. Holiday should not have been let go.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Gunk wrote:
I do think Taysom does better at a more uptempo pace. He's a fast paced, rythem kind of guy. I'd sprinkle in some more 2 min drill type scenarios if I'm Detmer. I don't believe in go fast go hard all the time, but when used strategically uptempo can be very effective.



Our receivers are soft. Holiday should not have been let go.

Agreed. Would rather have Holiday than "pillows and feathers".
S
Stirfry
BroncoBot wrote:
I do think Taysom does better at a more uptempo pace. He's a fast paced, rythem kind of guy. I'd sprinkle in some more 2 min drill type scenarios if I'm Detmer. I don't believe in go fast go hard all the time, but when used strategically uptempo can be very effective.



Our receivers are soft. Holiday should not have been let go.

Agreed. Would rather have Holiday than "pillows and feathers".

Was he let go or did we just get outbid? I realize it can be both but did we not bid a market rate of did they overpay?

(I do hate it that he's gone)
F
frdbtr
Stirfry wrote:
Gunk wrote:
I do think Taysom does better at a more uptempo pace. He's a fast paced, rythem kind of guy. I'd sprinkle in some more 2 min drill type scenarios if I'm Detmer. I don't believe in go fast go hard all the time, but when used strategically uptempo can be very effective.



Our receivers are soft. Holiday should not have been let go.

Agreed. Would rather have Holiday than "pillows and feathers".

Was he let go or did we just get outbid? I realize it can be both but did we not bid a market rate of did they overpay?

(I do hate it that he's gone)


He was informed that he was not going to be retained and went to utah.
M
McY
KingCoug wrote:



9. BYU absolutely needs to sell all of Utah's tickets for the game next year. Give those jerks a taste of there own medicine.


Television coverage showed a ton of Ute fans there, but I guess I missed the ticketgate controversy? Someone please fill me in here. Did the U sell BYU's allotment of tickets? If that's the case, then instead of sell the U's allotment next year, why don't we just limit their allotment to something near zero for next year's game? Or is BYU obligated to let the opposing team buy a minimum number?
B
BOID
Some of the reasons for success in the two minute drill, are situational. That is, the opposing defense is in a prevent mode, trying to cover a deep field until the clock runs out. Then the short slants, sideline posts, and screens become easier to complete.



Still, I also noticed a more crisp execution in the short drill moments.



Detmer's game plan was good. He needed to keep it simple until this team gets more live game experience. He will advance the playbook when the team is ready for it.



On another subject, I want to know if the targeting calls are being appealed. Without going into details again, I think it is wrong for those two DB's to have to miss the next half game.
Advertisement
S
Stirfry
McY wrote:



9. BYU absolutely needs to sell all of Utah's tickets for the game next year. Give those jerks a taste of there own medicine.


Television coverage showed a ton of Ute fans there, but I guess I missed the ticketgate controversy? Someone please fill me in here. Did the U sell BYU's allotment of tickets? If that's the case, then instead of sell the U's allotment next year, why don't we just limit their allotment to something near zero for next year's game? Or is BYU obligated to let the opposing team buy a minimum number?

Ive seen this referenced twice that somehow they didn't give us an allotment but I haven't heard the story
S
Stirfry
BOID wrote:
On another subject, I want to know if the targeting calls are being appealed. Without going into details again, I think it is wrong for those two DB's to have to miss the next half game.

I think once the pac12 review booth reviewed it it was a done deal. We lose them for half of our next pac12 game as well.
B
BroncoBot
Stirfry wrote:
On another subject, I want to know if the targeting calls are being appealed. Without going into details again, I think it is wrong for those two DB's to have to miss the next half game.

I think once the pac12 review booth reviewed it it was a done deal. We lose them for half of our next pac12 game as well.

Why did the pac12 review it? It was a bigxii crew?



Honest question.
S
Stirfry
BroncoBot wrote:
BOID wrote:
On another subject, I want to know if the targeting calls are being appealed. Without going into details again, I think it is wrong for those two DB's to have to miss the next half game.

I think once the pac12 review booth reviewed it it was a done deal. We lose them for half of our next pac12 game as well.

Why did the pac12 review it? It was a bigxii crew?



Honest question.

Suposedly the review crew was pac12
B
BoiseBYU
Stirfry wrote:
Stirfry wrote:
On another subject, I want to know if the targeting calls are being appealed. Without going into details again, I think it is wrong for those two DB's to have to miss the next half game.

I think once the pac12 review booth reviewed it it was a done deal. We lose them for half of our next pac12 game as well.

Why did the pac12 review it? It was a bigxii crew?



Honest question.

Suposedly the review crew was pac12


That is my understanding too. The call on the field was wrong, but those things happen so suddenly that the error and the egregiousness of it all rests with the Punk12 review squad who should have had the time and film to see how wrong the ejection was. Shame on them
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.