Archived Topic

Right decision - Wrong Call?

by mtnradio · 9/11/2016

Advertisement
M
mtnradio
I'd like to know your thoughts now that you have had a night to think and dream and dream and think about the game.



I think the decision to go for 2 was the right decision. The play call was wrong.



JSwag was out, injured. 2 starting safeties were ejected. Utah had been moving the ball against a defense that was getting tired. And BYU's offense had just engineered a great drive. So capitalize on that and go for 2. BUT, it was a tempo offense with quicker passes that moved the ball. I think the call should have been for a pass ... different formation should have been used to protect TH (Utah had been able to disrupt the passing game with a rush for much of the night).



I can't and won't complain about going for 2; I was cheering and hoping for it ... despite memories of the BSU game flooding my mind at that time. BUT, I think, and thought, the situations were very different. I'm proud of our team. I'm proud of our coaches ... I"m disappointed in the outcome. I think Ty has some growing to do as an OC, but generally I like what I'm seeing.
A
a1247
In the paper today Hill said when they went empty back field the Utes had been defending them completely different, but on that one play Utah brought everyone. So it probably was the right call Utah just made a better one. I still love going for it!
J
JayDogg
Right decision for sure. If we go into OT against the Utes we lose that game. Sitake knew that and made the right call. But........



The play call was wrong. We just marched down the field passing the ball, and scored a TD when Taysom ran the scramble drill. They should have called for quick outs, slants, or a roll out pass with a run option. Once I saw that it was a QB draw I knew the play would not work.



However though, overall I am encouraged by this new coaching staff. Much hope and optimism for the future of BYU football.
B
BoiseBYU
Sometimes the skill of a player overtakes all. Given Taysom's abilities and that he just scored, it is not a surprise that you say we will give it to Taysom and see if the fifth year senior can take it in. BUT everyone knew that and UT was prepared. That doesn't mean Taysom could not have done it. Better blocking would've helped. BUT we were too predictable and UT too sure what the call would be.
S
snoscythe
It's always the wrong call when it doesn't work. Duh.



I think it was the wrong decision. The time to go for two was the first touchdown when we were down 12-14. At least if you gamble and lose then you still have the entire second half to recover.



As for emptying the backfield--that worked on long fields when you were motioning Jamaal out of the backfield. It's a completely different situation on a two-point conversion from 3 yards away when the back you are motioning out is Algie instead of Jamaal.



Bad decision, bad call.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
I would have lived for another play. Get the one and see what UT puts together.



I see why they went for it, though.



Wrong call.



Detmer will get better. With a mind like his, he'll add it to the memory bank. Fans need to temper their expectations of Detmer.
M
mormonrasta
I wouldn't have gone for 2. The Yewts weren't very good in the red zone, or Blue zone, or whatever we want to call it. I think we would have had an excellent chance to win.



I thought the play call was fine. Either Koroma messed up the line call or Norman went the wrong way leaving the LT to have to block 2 guys. That ultimately was the downfall of the play.
M
Mars
Bad decision, bad call. Go to OT, force a turnover.
J
Jarhead
I was begging them not to go for two before I saw them line up to go for two, so for me it was the wrong decision in general.



Also, it was obvious to me that when we spread out five wide that Taysom was more than likely going to try to run it. Utah thought so too.



Knowing now that Taysom was surprised to see Utah line up the way they did, BYU should have taken the delay of game penalty and gone back with something different, possibly even just kicking the extra point. That's ridiculous that you would go ahead and just run your do or die play anyway when it looked like the defense has sniffed you out.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
When I watch the replay, I'm only so-so on the call. I dunno.



What gets me is the blocking numbers favoring Utah, and the open field to Taysom's left. He loves going north-south, which is typically the best to do, but in this case I think extending the play a little coulda/shoulda/woulda opened up some more opportunity to get the 3 yards.



This was a weird loss that still feels like a win, for some reason. I know a loss is a loss, but whatever. I've never felt like it like this before. It reminds me of Marcus Paige's off balance 3 to tie the game in the bball national championship game for UNC too.
Advertisement
J
Jarhead
Based on limited online research, it looks like, on average, the success rate of the 2 point conversion in college football is about 42%. So unless you feel like your team is at a significant disadvantage compared to the other team, the odds favor taking a game to overtime, which theoretically is a 50-50 proposition for equal teams.
S
SpiffCoug
I'm ok going for two on the play to win the game then and there.



The problems I had with the play:

- You kept Taysom in the middle of the field.

- Taysom supposedly had a "run/pass" option. But this implies that 1) Taysom looked to pass and 2) that WRs actually ran routes anticipating a potential pass.

- Whittingham knew Taysom was going to keep the ball and was probably ecstatic when BYU decided to run him especially since he had 7 defenders in the box & within 3 yards of the LOS.

- The BYU WRs knew Taysom was going to run which is why they never really looked back for the ball.



I would have rather seen BYU set the ball on one hash and then roll Taysom out of the pocket to the strong side of the field giving him time, space and options to either find a receiver or try to run the 3 yards needed against a DB instead of a DL.
J
Jarhead
I think Taysom may still have bad memories of trying to roll right going for two against Boise St, which may have influenced his decision to take it straight ahead.
S
Stirfry
SpiffCoug wrote:
I'm ok going for two on the play to win the game then and there.



The problems I had with the play:

- You kept Taysom in the middle of the field.

- Taysom supposedly had a "run/pass" option. But this implies that 1) Taysom looked to pass and 2) that WRs actually ran routes anticipating a potential pass.

- Whittingham knew Taysom was going to keep the ball and was probably ecstatic when BYU decided to run him especially since he had 7 defenders in the box & within 3 yards of the LOS.

- The BYU WRs knew Taysom was going to run which is why they never really looked back for the ball.



I would have rather seen BYU set the ball on one hash and then roll Taysom out of the pocket to the strong side of the field giving him time, space and options to either find a receiver or try to run the 3 yards needed against a DB instead of a DL.

My thoughts exactly. Give him a play with options. This play was over before the snap. It had one option and utah showed they guessed right before it even started.

The decision was absolutely correct. They were getting yards right up the middle every play by then and would've continued to do so.

Their lines are just better than ours.
Advertisement
I
Isola
I liked the call to go for 2. I hate to say it, but Utah had the better team, especially after we lost Williams, Nicua and McChesney. We were losing the battle at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Plus, I had had enough anxiety, and I wanted the game to be decided once and for all.



I don't like the play call though. The longer the play the better in my opinion. A play long enough for players to make reads and react. Enough time for receivers to lose their defender. Enough time for the play to break down and let Taysom make a play. Give me Beck to Harline. Or Vince Young against USC. Or Joe Montana to Dwight Clark. Rothlesburger to Santonio Holmes. Eli Manning helmet catch.



This was Seahawks-Patriots. The play was over before it began.
A
ABYUFAN
I agree with the decision to go for 2. It was probably also a good call to have it originally called to Taysom's number. Unfortunately he probably should have checked out of that particular call when we shifted the back from that side to the other and the person there didn't follow. The blocking numbers were on the other side of the field.
J
jvquarterback
ABYUFAN wrote:
I agree with the decision to go for 2. It was probably also a good call to have it originally called to Taysom's number. Unfortunately he probably should have checked out of that particular call when we shifted the back from that side to the other and the person there didn't follow. The blocking numbers were on the other side of the field.


No reason to check out of the call - they had the matchup they wanted. If Eide had made his block we'd all be celebrating. It was a good call, just a poor block by our LT. Taysom still almost made it work.
S
stuckinbig10country
I was definitely fine going for 2, until BYU called their TO.



The most disappointing thing to me right now is how long it's taking to get plays called.
F
frdbtr
Patience guys. Detmer hasn't been a college play caller, ever. It is going to take time. If we had played the utes at the end of the season rather than now, the offense would have scored more points.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.