Archived Topic

Why BYU will win - and it WON'T BE CLOSE!

by Yzzazz · 9/10/2016

Advertisement
Y
Yzzazz
I know this is going to sound wildly optimistic, but I just spent an hour watching the first three drives of the Las Vegas bowl game and I have formed what I think is a sound opinion: Tanner Mangum lost that game for BYU.



Perhaps a more accurate way of saying it is, Utah's defensive line, with a healthy dose of help from Utah's offensive line, won the game, but when you consider how the remaining three quarters played out, I think the diagnosis sits squarely on Tanner, more than on the Utes admittedly stellar performance taking advantage of his mistakes.



The short of it is that Tanner made a rookie mistake in underestimating Utah's pressure defense which led to his first fumble/turnover. If he doesn't try to play the hero and pass to avoid a sack, Utah doesn't recover a fumble on the first drive. Second drive (pick six from a bounced ball off Blackmon's pads) we'll call a fluke. You can credit the coverage, sure, but you couldn't duplicate that outcome in 10 more plays. On the third drive Tanner parked his eyes on the intended receiver from almost before the snap and never checked down. Utah's DE noticeably backed off his rush and sat on the passing lane with the express intention of batting the ball down. He tipped it and the rest is history.



How often does a D-lineman KNOW he is going to get a good chance to bat a ball down with a good three seconds before it happens? Very rarely. That underscores how bad Mangum's error was in his technique. Likely he was a bit rattled and desperate, but regardless, that error cost BYU the game.



There's more that can be said, but that's enough. Those two coachable errors are enough to turn the tide in the game. If BYU punts on that first drive, and if BYU punts on its third drive also, neither of those scores take place, and the game is different (all Utah's scores were short field).



Make no mistake I"m not dumping on Tanner. He is on track to have the greatest success of any BYU quarterback in history. In some ways I wish he were starting today because I doubt he'd let Utah get the better of him again. All the same, he is THE guy we want in place if Taysom goes down.



But imagine that same game with Taysom at the helm. Taysom's arm strength alone prevents that first drive fumble. The possibility of a Taysom run nullifies the kind of pressure the Utes brought to Mangum. At a minimum the first and third drives don't yield points to Utah, and BYU wins that game.



And of course, Jamaal Williams. Just sayin.



Adding Taysom and Jamaal into the game isn't just a slight tweak, it's an enormous swing. My point in harping on Tanner's errors is to show that strange as it may seem, the Utah game last year was actually very close. VERY close. Even a slight swing would make the difference. BYU won't have just a slight swing in their favor, they will have a 150 yards rushing and 70+ percent passing efforts by the equivalent of 5th year seniors making their statement games of their career.



The only question mark will be BYU's defense. If Utah scores easily on BYU's defense, then this game could become something unexpected by most pundits: a track meet. There is almost 0 chance that this game will play out exactly like last week. The teams and circumstances are just too different. Remember what Ty Detmer's seasons where like? The first game was underwhelming, but the second game BYU would roll. That could happen here.



It's a different era, a different team, I know. But I'm imagining that the reason BYU looked so conservative last week was because the WERE conservative. Having proven (especially in the last minute of the game) that they are easily capable of playing a full speed against a Power 5 opponent with little discernible daylight in skill and talent, BYU will enter the game confident. All it will take will be a little success early on, and the divide between experience at the skill positions will translate into a growing gap.



By the middle of the fourth quarter I predict it will be BYU 27 Utah 17. But the margin could be much wider than that if Utah gets unlucky.



BYU should have been blown out last year, but the weren't. The game was surprisingly close and actually hinged on Utah's ability to captialize on some luck. I doubt it will happen again.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
I'm optimistic abut this one too. I think the big plays will come for both teams, but BYU will have more of them. Taysom will break loose in this one. And the offensive attack will wear down the Ute D by the 4th quarter and really open it up.
B
BOID
I've said a lot about the edge BYU will have with T Hill, J Williams, and Detmer's game planning. But I was thinking over the AZ game again, and I came up with another significant winning factor:



BYU will win over the Utes because they finally have, once again, real production from not one, but two big tight ends. Think about it. When were the last three BYU victories over the Utes? That's right, when skilled and reliable TE's were catching passes and barreling down field for YAC. That was 2006, 2007, and 2009. Utah had trouble with Harline, Pitta, and George. There were excellent WR's, RB's, and QB's as well, but the TE's added more variety in the passing attack, which then became a three headed monster (WR-RB-TE). Also note, that Anae never replaced those dominant TE's, and a losing streak ensued in the rivalry.



Tanner Balderee and Hunter Marshall are not yet as experienced as the above mentioned former TE's, but------ they both looked surprisingly good last week against AZ. Too good to be ignored (credit Steve Clark here). Now Utah has a three headed monster to manage in their pass coverage.



Detmer is a master at analyzing opposing defenses and devising ways to exploit their weaknesses. It's what he does. He does it pre-game, and he keeps doing it during game time. These new TE's last Saturday never dropped a pass, they plowed into defenders with momentum, and never fumbled. They surpassed expectations, and they will provide Detmer with further options for offensive adjustments during the game.



I'm excited. I think we'll see an end to the curse tomorrow.
Y
Ygridiron4ever
3/4 of the ESPN College College Gameday prognosticators gree with you. Lee Corso is the only guy who picked against the Cougs.
S
SpiffCoug
BYU hasn't had a QB play well against Utah since John Beck 10 years ago. If Taysom doesn't play well, BYU will lose and likely lose handily.
Advertisement
B
BOID
Ute comments seem to indicate that their confidence stems from the fact that Taysom historically wilts in their mighty presence. Uh' Uh. Not this time. He will be cool as ice.
B
BroncoBot
Well, it was close, and BYU lost. damn.
Y
Yzzazz
Ouch. Jamaal's absence made a big difference down the stretch.
B
BroncoBot
They did have a sustained drive for a TD, which I don't think they accomplished WITH JW. Strange, right? IIRC, the only drive JW missed was the TD drive at the end...
M
Mars
Well, Taysom lost this game for BYU. I prefer Tanner's stats in Vegas, honestly.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Mars wrote:
Well, Taysom lost this game for BYU. I prefer Tanner's stats in Vegas, honestly.


Apples and oranges. Taysom was playing under an entirely different coaching staff than the one that was calling plays for Tanner in Vegas.
M
mtnradio
Mars wrote:
Well, Taysom lost this game for BYU. I prefer Tanner's stats in Vegas, honestly.



Taysom didn't lose the game for BYU. He played a generally lack-luster game, and threw the ball too hard (and was inaccurate at some very inopportune times), BUT, there were plenty of mistakes to go around. How about a TE dropping a pass that hit him in the hands in front of his chest ... would have had a first down and moved the chains, instead punt that lead to the game winning FG. How about a LT that didn't just block his guy down, and that lead to a tackle on the try for 2. LOTS of mistakes.



But, having said that, Tanner played a great game in Vegas and I have to believe he'll handle this new scheme with the same kind of class and success that he stepped into last year with. Taysom's legs added very little as an extra dimension last night ... though he did force the pressure to slow down by running a few times. Still, it will be TH this year ...
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.