Archived Topic

Need Help With A Conference Talk

by byufan4ever · 9/9/2016

Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
I've been asked to speak (on 9/18) in my ward on the talk "Standing with the Leaders of the Church" by Elder Rasband from the April 2016 conference. The help I need is: how can I incorporate BYU football into this talk? Because every good talk should at least mention BYU football! Does anyone know of any stories of the BYU football staff or players about sustaining/listening to prophets? Is this too much of a stretch or inappropriate?
B
billbillbillbill
First thought that came to mind:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/qq8pZs98Zrw[/youtube]



good luck with the talk!
C
Cougarfan87
byufan4ever wrote:
I've been asked to speak (on 9/18) in my ward on the talk "Standing with the Leaders of the Church" by Elder Rasband from the April 2016 conference. The help I need is: how can I incorporate BYU football into this talk? Because every good talk should at least mention BYU football! Does anyone know of any stories of the BYU football staff or players about sustaining/listening to prophets? Is this too much of a stretch or inappropriate?


How about when President Hinkley encouraged the football team not to lose the last game LaVell Edwards was coaching against Utah in 2000...and BYU won!
G
Guest
Cougarfan87 wrote:
I've been asked to speak (on 9/18) in my ward on the talk "Standing with the Leaders of the Church" by Elder Rasband from the April 2016 conference. The help I need is: how can I incorporate BYU football into this talk? Because every good talk should at least mention BYU football! Does anyone know of any stories of the BYU football staff or players about sustaining/listening to prophets? Is this too much of a stretch or inappropriate?


How about when President Hinkley encouraged the football team not to lose the last game LaVell Edwards was coaching against Utah in 2000...and BYU won!


That's what came to my mind too.
N
nuk13
How about the player That was drafted in the first round by the raiders and refused to play I think because he didn't want to play on Sunday? Was it Evan Pilgrim?



Thanks 4xBill for showing my favorite Ute play. I wish that kid was still playing for them. I miss him.
Advertisement
S
scott715
That was Eli Herring.
C
Cougarfan87
I didn't think he ever was drafted. I though he was a draft prospect, but sent a letter to the NFL saying he would not play on Sunday.
S
snoscythe
Cougarfan87 wrote:
I didn't think he ever was drafted. I though he was a draft prospect, but sent a letter to the NFL saying he would not play on Sunday.


Raiders took him in the 6th.
S
scott715
Correct, was drafted but turned it down.
C
Cougarfan87
snoscythe wrote:
I didn't think he ever was drafted. I though he was a draft prospect, but sent a letter to the NFL saying he would not play on Sunday.


Raiders took him in the 6th.

I didn't realize that. That is just crazy to waste a pick.
Advertisement
S
scott715
He was 1st round material, they took a crap shoot and lost.
B
byufan4ever
Thanks for everyone's suggestions! It turns out that we are having a bishopric change this Sunday so I'm off the hook for giving the talk! But if I ever need sacrament talk help I know where to come!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.