Archived Topic

When Do You Play Mangum?

by snoscythe · 8/23/2016

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Taysom is #1. Tanner is, well, this guy:



http://www.aveleyman.com/Gallery/ActorsW/17761-23275.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



So, if you're the OC/QB coach, what is your plan for using your #2?
F
frdbtr
If Taysom Hill gets hurt.
S
snoscythe
...and FWIW, Detmer is on record as disliking the idea of 2QB systems.
A
ABYUFAN
After Utah State takes Hill out again
S
Stirfry
ABYUFAN wrote:
After Utah State takes Hill out again


TM should just start that game
Advertisement
J
Jarhead
Only if Taysom gets hurt. Though I agree with others it may be worth starting Tanner against Utah State....
M
mormonrasta
2017-2019
S
SpiffCoug
As the backup, I want to congratulate Tanner on becoming the most popular player on the team.
S
SpiffCoug
Stirfry wrote:
After Utah State takes Hill out again


TM should just start that game

Last 9.5 quarters of of quarterback play against Utah State by Tanner Mangum and Taysom Hill:

41 of 72 for 661 yards with 8 TDs and 1 INT for 167.95 PER. 31 rushes for 95 yards and 1 TD.
G
Gunk
First game. IMO Tanner should be the starter. Hill can't and shouldn't run like he did, negating his biggest strength. Tanner has the better arm. Start Tanner.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Gunk wrote:
First game. IMO Tanner should be the starter. Hill can't and shouldn't run like he did, negating his biggest strength. Tanner has the better arm. Start Tanner.


You must have been reading different practice reports than I have, because everything I read coming out of camp was that Taysom was passing just as well as, if not better than, Mangum.
B
BroncoBot
the few videos I've seen of hill show him throwing VERY well. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people this year with his passing. I think he'll be able to run just as well as he did in years past. Hill looked like a different qb last year @neb, I'm sure he's improved since then.
Y
YNot
If Tanner is as good as I think he is and can be, he will not be at BYU for 2019 season regardless, so why in the world would we NOT play him as the full-fledged backup in 2016?
S
SpiffCoug
I could see Tanner playing 2016, 2017, and 2018. I could see him red shirting 2016 and then playing 2017-2019. The fact that he delayed his mission so he could grey shirt at BYU, IMO, shows that while football is important he isn't in a hurry to get through college.
G
Gunk
snoscythe wrote:
First game. IMO Tanner should be the starter. Hill can't and shouldn't run like he did, negating his biggest strength. Tanner has the better arm. Start Tanner.


You must have been reading different practice reports than I have, because everything I read coming out of camp was that Taysom was passing just as well as, if not better than, Mangum.


Until I see his performance on the field, I take any reports of his ability to throw the ball during practice with a huge grain of salt.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
SpiffCoug wrote:
I could see him red shirting 2016 and then playing 2017-2019.


Detmer said yesterday there is no plan to redshirt Mangum this season.
F
frdbtr
Gunk wrote:
Gunk wrote:
First game. IMO Tanner should be the starter. Hill can't and shouldn't run like he did, negating his biggest strength. Tanner has the better arm. Start Tanner.


You must have been reading different practice reports than I have, because everything I read coming out of camp was that Taysom was passing just as well as, if not better than, Mangum.


Until I see his performance on the field, I take any reports of his ability to throw the ball during practice with a huge grain of salt.


I saw his performance on the field last year against Nebraska. Taysom was clearly the better thrower on the field with only 1 foot. I love Tanner Mangum and his potential. Taysom is the better guy right now. Not playing him would be like Clemson benching Deshaun Watson because his backup was a "better thrower".
M
Mars
snoscythe wrote:
First game. IMO Tanner should be the starter. Hill can't and shouldn't run like he did, negating his biggest strength. Tanner has the better arm. Start Tanner.


You must have been reading different practice reports than I have, because everything I read coming out of camp was that Taysom was passing just as well as, if not better than, Mangum.

I must have missed those.
G
golong
Playing Mangum occasionally doesn't mean you are running a two QB system. If Mangum is definitely not going to redshirt then you play if every game if you can to give him some live action and hone his skills too. I think Detmer will play Mangum when he can, afterall, Mangum is Detmer's future for 2017 and 2018,
H
hypercoug
As soon as Taysom gets hurt. This question will be moot in a matter of a few short weeks. I just have this bad feeling he will get hurt at Rice-Chex stadium, ending his career. Foot fracture. Or a tweaked knee.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.