Archived Topic

Pillows and feathers?

by BroncoBot · 8/15/2016

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Is this why cahoon got canned last time around. I loved having a guy like Holiday on the staff. And it's too bad that utah got him.


765247190222512128
G
Guest
So Holiday is too tough on the guys?
B
BYULV
If Cahoon can get our guys to play anywhere near the level he played at I'll be happy with his technique.
F
frdbtr
Until Holiday came, our receivers were all pillows and feathers.
E
EM_Puma
I've got to see the proof in the pudding before I'll say that pillow and feathers is better than fire and brimstone. There had to be some reason BM didn't bring him back and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because of his playing career, but that's doesn't make him a good coach. On the other hand, I don't think yelling at players is proper motivation either. We'll see. Kalani will hold him accountable to certain results.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
I really doubt his abilities, because he's not Polynesian.
M
Mars
All Cahoon did was make his guys run good routes and actually catch the ball.



He didn't make them magically run faster though. Or learn how to shuck blocks at the line to throw off timing routes.
S
SpiffCoug
Mars wrote:
All Cahoon did was make his guys run good routes and actually catch the ball.

Cody Hoffman, BYU's greatest statistical wide receiver, caught 161 of his 267 career catches under Cahoon's tutelage.



21 of Hoffman's 33 receiving TDs came in Cahoon's two years in Provo. 2,191 of his 3,612 receiving yards came then as well. And this was with QBs like Jake Heaps and Riley Nelson throwing to him.



Imagine the numbers he could have put up with Tanner throwing to him.
F
frdbtr
Last year was the first year since 96 that I thought our receivers played with any kind of physicality at all with the exception of Austin Collie and IMO that was just his style. I credit Holiday with that. Mitch Matthews was a 100% marshmallow until last year when he would fight for balls down field. If you don't believe me, watch some replays of 2013 and then watch replays of last year. The difference is stark.
B
BroncoBot
frdbtr wrote:
Last year was the first year since 96 that I thought our receivers played with any kind of physicality at all with the exception of Austin Collie and IMO that was just his style. I credit Holiday with that. Mitch Matthews was a 100% marshmallow until last year when he would fight for balls down field. If you don't believe me, watch some replays of 2013 and then watch replays of last year. The difference is stark.

AGreed. I though Holiday (minus the Michigan game) made a huge difference for the receivers last year. The receivers can't get by with "good route running and good hands" anymore. Teams with Michiganesque DBs will shut that down all day, as we saw.
Advertisement
M
Mars
Mitch was most physical with referees and opposing players AFTER the play was already over. Also, illegal hand-hitting during the play.



I liked Holliday's attitude, but Michigan was a big question mark as to just what he had actually accomplished.
S
Stirfry
I wonder what butler bird could do with pillows a feathers instead of 2x4s and hellfire and damnation?



Too soon?
F
frdbtr
Mars wrote:
Mitch was most physical with referees and opposing players AFTER the play was already over. Also, illegal hand-hitting during the play.



I liked Holliday's attitude, but Michigan was a big question mark as to just what he had actually accomplished.


Hmmm, interesting. I don't remember any offensive pass interference calls on Matthews last year. I love how we take the worst game the receivers had all year and let that be the judge of a coach's complete body of work. Also I enjoy the personal attacks that this person has against players he doesn't like. I seem to remember you calling Austin Collie a douche as well along with wishing injury on him simply because he left school a year early to turn pro(do you feel smugly correct in that one?). But I guess that is what I come to expect from some posters. Oh well, I guess reality is too much to ask. I hope our receivers play with fire and are physical this year. I got sick and tired of feeling like BYU's receivers were the only one's I watched on Saturdays who would lose on jump ball situations more often than not up until last year. I guess we are going to see how this coaching staff turns out. I am hoping I am wrong about them and we win a ton of games. Until that happens, I feel like BYU was much more concerned about hiring former players than hiring the best coaches available.
S
stuckinbig10country
Anae got total control over offensive staff hires when he came back. He cleaned house. I think he and Cahoon got into it verbally in the offices on campus, and he was gone.
M
Mars
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Anae got total control over offensive staff hires when he came back. He cleaned house. I think he and Cahoon got into it verbally in the offices on campus, and he was gone.

I never heard that one. I always figured the biggest knock against Cahoon was that he didn't like to recruit.
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
Mars wrote:
Anae got total control over offensive staff hires when he came back. He cleaned house. I think he and Cahoon got into it verbally in the offices on campus, and he was gone.

I never heard that one. I always figured the biggest knock against Cahoon was that he didn't like to recruit.


Well, it would be nice to have one guy out of the bunch that can coach better than he can recruit...cause that description doesn't match our head coach.
B
BroncoBot
stuckinbig10country wrote:
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Anae got total control over offensive staff hires when he came back. He cleaned house. I think he and Cahoon got into it verbally in the offices on campus, and he was gone.

I never heard that one. I always figured the biggest knock against Cahoon was that he didn't like to recruit.


Well, it would be nice to have one guy out of the bunch that can coach better than he can recruit...cause that description doesn't match our head coach.

Could go either way. Seems the new staff are "player's coaches". We've all seen these types of coaches succeed and bomb. Off the top of my head I can't think of too many lasted more than a couple years...



I'm not trying to create a division, but why no complaining of closed practices this year? It seems like that's all we heard about in the past. Bronco being such a prude and not allowing press and fans to watch all the practices. I'm all for closing it down, just interesting that I haven't heard a single complaint this year...
S
Schmoe
BroncoBot wrote:
Mars wrote:
Anae got total control over offensive staff hires when he came back. He cleaned house. I think he and Cahoon got into it verbally in the offices on campus, and he was gone.

I never heard that one. I always figured the biggest knock against Cahoon was that he didn't like to recruit.


Well, it would be nice to have one guy out of the bunch that can coach better than he can recruit...cause that description doesn't match our head coach.

Could go either way. Seems the new staff are "player's coaches". We've all seen these types of coaches succeed and bomb. Off the top of my head I can't think of too many lasted more than a couple years...



I'm not trying to create a division, but why no complaining of closed practices this year? It seems like that's all we heard about in the past. Bronco being such a prude and not allowing press and fans to watch all the practices. I'm all for closing it down, just interesting that I haven't heard a single complaint this year...


Don't forget all the complaints about not using every single allotted practice. Not a single one of those this year, even though we're not using all of our practices.
S
Stirfry
BroncoBot wrote:
Mars wrote:
Anae got total control over offensive staff hires when he came back. He cleaned house. I think he and Cahoon got into it verbally in the offices on campus, and he was gone.

I never heard that one. I always figured the biggest knock against Cahoon was that he didn't like to recruit.


Well, it would be nice to have one guy out of the bunch that can coach better than he can recruit...cause that description doesn't match our head coach.

Could go either way. Seems the new staff are "player's coaches". We've all seen these types of coaches succeed and bomb. Off the top of my head I can't think of too many lasted more than a couple years...



I'm not trying to create a division, but why no complaining of closed practices this year? It seems like that's all we heard about in the past. Bronco being such a prude and not allowing press and fans to watch all the practices. I'm all for closing it down, just interesting that I haven't heard a single complaint this year...

I would imagine that lack of complaints for closed practices is because with having a first time ever oc and all new other staff it's much more advantages to be secretive this year than it is most years.

Other coaches literally have no idea what our offense will be and other then knowing we're now a 4-3 our d is unknown



And.....half the fans were tired of bronco so they overstated his weaknesses and understated his strengths
B
BroncoBot
Schmoe wrote:
stuckinbig10country wrote:
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Anae got total control over offensive staff hires when he came back. He cleaned house. I think he and Cahoon got into it verbally in the offices on campus, and he was gone.

I never heard that one. I always figured the biggest knock against Cahoon was that he didn't like to recruit.


Well, it would be nice to have one guy out of the bunch that can coach better than he can recruit...cause that description doesn't match our head coach.

Could go either way. Seems the new staff are "player's coaches". We've all seen these types of coaches succeed and bomb. Off the top of my head I can't think of too many lasted more than a couple years...



I'm not trying to create a division, but why no complaining of closed practices this year? It seems like that's all we heard about in the past. Bronco being such a prude and not allowing press and fans to watch all the practices. I'm all for closing it down, just interesting that I haven't heard a single complaint this year...


Don't forget all the complaints about not using every single allotted practice. Not a single one of those this year, even though we're not using all of our practices.

Tune could change if BYU gets blown out by AZ? Who knows.



I think a lot of people bought into the whole "I know how to run this team better than Bronco" philosphy. Seems everyone is SOOOOO good at EVERYTHING these days that they have to tell experts (like Bronco and church leaders) how things should be run. I'm fine with how Bronco ran the team, and how Kalani has run it so far. We'll see if the double standard is still around in 2-3 years.
Page 1 of 4
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.