Archived Topic

What if BYU does not get into BIG 12?

by cougarapologist · 8/12/2016

Advertisement
C
cougarapologist
Seems time for a discussion of contingency plans.



If we don't get in to the Big 12, we really only have two options: (1) stick it out as an Independent; or (2) go back to the Mountain West.



As much as I hate the idea of going back to the MW, the truth is that our access to New Year's Bowl Games, and possibly playoff would improve over independence. Downside would be revenue decrease over what we get now from ESPN.



Thoughts?
S
Schmoe
100% stay independent--not even a question. We've increased our money, exposure, and we control everything for ourselves. There was no contingency or timeline on independence that says that we should return to a conference. We're doing fine.



As other have stated here before, going back to the MWC is like a dog returning to its vomit.
A
ABYUFAN
If we join any conference it would be the AAC. But honestly we stay independent. The WCC is a far far far improvement over the MWC as far as athletic partners for our Olympic sports goes. And as we've seen, our basketball team has been treated better in the WCC than it ever was in the MWC post season seeding wise. I have no reason to believe that our football team's NY6 bowl chances won't as well.
R
redneckjedi
What would be really nice is if we could get independents included in the "best of G5" qualifier for a NY6 bowl. The Big XII got the rules changed to be able to have their CCG with or without expansion; we should either be in a P5 conference because everyone recognizes us as such, or, if nobody will take us, we should get the same access to the NY6 as any other G5. Then the MW would never again be a temptation.
S
scott715
Stay indy and wait to see what happens in 2024. Get a raise in our ESPN contract.
Advertisement
D
dsmith1212
Independence!
M
mormonrasta
If the money is similar we should join a conference. Better bowl prospects that way. Otherwise we should stay indy.
N
nuk13
I see that I am going against the grain. I believe in capitalism but money/position is making college sports less interesting to me. Win at any cost does not create a good atmosphere. When coaches are making millions it looks more and more like a professional sport. Do universities exist to teach their students to make a living or do they exist to win a national championship or at least get in the top 25. If our old rivals would have us back I'd like to see all of us work for a better conference than the MWC was. If that can't happen I am for independence. I do think the WCC has been good for us.
S
stuckinbig10country
BYU won't go back to the MWC. Independence is better than a G5 conference. All of the P5 conferences (except, coincidentally, the Big 12) consider BYU a P5 school for scheduling purposes.



Money is better. If ESPN want to cut back, FOX would out bid them for BYU's games, so the money is going up regardless after 2019.
B
BOID
Hey Jedi, I agree that we should at least have access equal to the best of G5. However, it would not be good to seek for, or to be awarded that association/label. BYU has worked hard to rise above the "Mid Major" label, and shouldn't do anything that would give jealous detractors any excuse to stick that label back on. I would prefer the present status quo with poor access, rather than be considered among the best of the Mid Majors.



Now, a legitimate argument can be made, that BYU deserves the same CFP rules of access that Notre Dame has. Just need to keep scheduling more P5 teams than G5 teams, and avoid any temptation of joining a G5 conference. If BYU keeps on that high road, then everything that is hoped for will eventually come.
Advertisement
S
Stirfry
If we went back to the mtn west I'd probably stop buying season tickets. Why give up 7-8 really good opponents/games per year (mostly road games though) so you can have access to the consolation ny6 games?



I'd save my money and go to the ny6 game if it ever happened. And free up 6 Saturday's a year and watch the games on the dvr....



I agree college football is turning is getting closer and closer to just bring a poor version of the nfl but if we're basically playing division 2 I think I'd lose interest.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.