Archived Topic

Tanner Mangum to redshirt?

by Fido · 8/11/2016

Advertisement
F
Fido
2017 QB Depth chart:

Tanner Mangum (So)

Beau Hoge (Jr)

Koy Detmer (Jr)

Kody Wilstead (Fr)



Hayden Livingston has mission plans and could also redshirt in 2016 to come back as a Freshman.
F
frdbtr
If Taysom wins the job (and I think he will), the coaches should do everything in their power to keep Tanner off the field so he can save a year of eligibility.
G
Guest
I would love to have Tanner redshirt and then have 3 years to play 3.
S
snoscythe
No. Go back to the best way to develop your next QB. Let him play in the 4th quarter when the outcome is certain and get game-time better for his Jr and Sr seasons. Develop your talent in game situations so the adjustment to starter is a smoother transfer.



I'm not keen on the idea of having your starting quarterback taking over after not playing in a real game for 20 months.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
snoscythe wrote:
No. Go back to the best way to develop your next QB. Let him play in the 4th quarter when the outcome is certain and get game-time better for his Jr and Sr seasons. Develop your talent in game situations so the adjustment to starter is a smoother transfer.



I'm not keen on the idea of having your starting quarterback taking over after not playing in a real game for 20 months.


It wouldn't help Tanner to come in and waste eligibility in the 4th quarter of blowouts (with this schedule I don't see many of those anyway). Max Hall did fine after redshirting, and Tanner did great last year after only being in the program for fall camp after returning from a mission. Redshirt to save eligibility is the best option.
S
stuckinbig10country
Tanner is going to the league after next year anyway, at the latest, so play him this year if you need to.
B
BOID
That would have to be the most amazing sophomore season ever, to have big NFL draft stock. No, Tanner would need to finish a junior season, and an exceptional one at that. Even then, I would bet on him staying for his senior season if BYU was on the cusp of something special at that time.
F
Fido
I'll caveat my original post with IF Hill can stay healthy--because it has been quite a while since he has been able to. The season is a long one for the injury prone. I'm betting that Mangum will be pressed into duty at some point--though it would be nice to be able to redshirt him should they get all the way through the tough games without using him.
S
snoscythe
Sure, he was good as a frosh, and Hall was good as a sophomore, but I don't see how that means redshirting is better. Mangum didn't have a choice but to play last year, and Hall didn't have the option of playing the season before he won the starting job--he had to sit out as an ASU transfer. I believe both would have been better if they had mop-up time to develop.



I believe the ideal formula for developing a QB is to get mop up time as a Freshman and Sophomore, and then start for the final two seasons. Redshirts should be saved for instances where injury or transfers affect your succession plan and you need to delay that optimal development pattern. Planning on redshirting your next season's starter is fools gold unless you have another starter-quality QB in the wings who can be your backup. You run the risk of sitting the guy out the whole season, and then burning the redshirt in November when the starter goes down, meaning you lost all opportunities to help develop the kid in games over the first two months and still lost the season of eligibility.



I don't have enough faith in Hoge or Detmer Jr. to plan on redshirting Mangum.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
snoscythe wrote:

I don't have enough faith in Hoge or Detmer Jr. to plan on redshirting Mangum.


This hits the nail on the head. Unless one, or both, of them has come a LONG way since we last saw them play, I don't think you can rely on them in the backup role. It would be fine if it were just putting them in to spell Taysom at the end of a blowout, but what happens if Hill tweaks something and we need a QB in on the next play in a pivotal part of the game?
M
mormonrasta
Tanner should be the backup if we actually need a backup. But if all we need him to do is hand the ball off to Algie Brown in the 4th quarter, then he should just redshirt. Hoge is perfectly suited for mop up duty.
C
Cougarfan87
I think a lot of this depends on Tanner. The coaches should talk with him if he doesn't win the starting job, and ask him what his plans are. If he is gone in three years regardless, then play him when the opportunity presents itself. Returned missionary QBs get the age thing thrown at them more so than others. I recall that was one of the knocks on John Beck. So, two solid years starting after this year is probably all he needs for his best NFL chance. Most of our really good QBs in the factory years only had two years starting and were back-ups the other years. Detmer really was the first to break the mold and start three years. But, he didn't serve a mission, so there wasn't the age knock that RM QBs have to deal with.
S
stuckinbig10country
BOID wrote:
That would have to be the most amazing sophomore season ever, to have big NFL draft stock. No, Tanner would need to finish a junior season, and an exceptional one at that. Even then, I would bet on him staying for his senior season if BYU was on the cusp of something special at that time.


Mangum would have been drafted last year had he decided to go into the draft. And yes, he could have because it had been 3 years since he graduated from high school. Not saying it would have been a high draft pick, but likely would have been 4th round.



He's gone after next year, at the latest, mostly because he's good enough, but partially because of his age.
F
frdbtr
You can have a guy suited up standing on the sideline and still redshirt him if he never plays. If Taysom gets injured he is there to play and will not redshirt. All I am saying is try to keep him on the sideline, if he has to come in because of injury so be it, if he doesn't play get him a year back. Simple as that.
Advertisement
S
scott715
Might be a problem with road games. Isn't there a limit on how many players travel?
H
hypercoug
It's a moot point. I hate to say it but Taysom is going to be injured by the time the season is half over. I hope not, but I'll be holding my breath on every play he is still healthy.
S
snoscythe
frdbtr wrote:
You can have a guy suited up standing on the sideline and still redshirt him if he never plays. If Taysom gets injured he is there to play and will not redshirt. All I am saying is try to keep him on the sideline, if he has to come in because of injury so be it, if he doesn't play get him a year back. Simple as that.


What do you do if the injury happens in the last three games of the season? Do you take a full year of eligibility for just those three games, meaning you lost the opportunity to get him game-speed reps the first 9 games?
S
SpiffCoug
Schmoe wrote:

I don't have enough faith in Hoge or Detmer Jr. to plan on redshirting Mangum.


This hits the nail on the head. Unless one, or both, of them has come a LONG way since we last saw them play, I don't think you can rely on them in the backup role. It would be fine if it were just putting them in to spell Taysom at the end of a blowout, but what happens if Hill tweaks something and we need a QB in on the next play in a pivotal part of the game?

I thought Hoge looked much improved at the Spring game over where he was last year. Koy Jr continued to fail to look the part of an FBS caliber QB.
S
Schmoe
SpiffCoug wrote:
snoscythe wrote:

I don't have enough faith in Hoge or Detmer Jr. to plan on redshirting Mangum.


This hits the nail on the head. Unless one, or both, of them has come a LONG way since we last saw them play, I don't think you can rely on them in the backup role. It would be fine if it were just putting them in to spell Taysom at the end of a blowout, but what happens if Hill tweaks something and we need a QB in on the next play in a pivotal part of the game?

I thought Hoge looked much improved at the Spring game over where he was last year. Koy Jr continued to fail to look the part of an FBS caliber QB.


This is good to know. I think an advantage of having Hoge backup Taysom is that he has a similar skill set as far as being a physical, athletic type of QB who can run the ball, so you don't have to mess with the play calling.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.