Archived Topic

Did BYU sign an agreement last night?

by hawkwing · 8/4/2016

Advertisement
G
Guest
I heard a vague rumor that BYU signed a Big 12 agreement last night and that a few very high level donors are quietly being told right now and that the announcement is forthcoming.



Don't get your hopes up.
S
snoscythe
No.



The Big XII is in the voting process right now, and the latest is that BYU has only 6 votes (they need eight), but may pick up the other two today or tomorrow. Baylor, TTech, WVU, and Iowa State are supposedly the four schools who have not voted for BYU yet.
S
stuckinbig10country
I'm going to say no...



I believe the longer this goes on, the chances for inclusion into the Big 12 get less and less.



The Big 12 has 3 voting blocs: The Texas 4, the Oklahoma 2, and the smaller 4. (Hence why Oklahoma, the most consistent of all Big 12 teams is always the most frustrated-and also why they relate well with BYU.)



Texas wants Houston, and they will force Tech to vote that way and remind TCU why they're in the conference to begin with. Baylor won't be causing any waves in this whole thing. They're gonna go with the popular vote.



ISU, KU, and KSU don't want BYU because they know BYU instantly becomes more valuable across the board except for KU basketball. WVU may actually want BYU because of the large LDS population around DC, but they'll likely vote with the other 3. I would assume those teams want Cincy.



OU wants BYU and probably can convince OSU to come along, despide what T Boone Pickens says.



Given preference, I would assume the Texas bloc would vote for BYU and Houston. Oklahoma bloc votes BYU and Cincinnati. Other 4 vote Cincy and ?



So the votes would be BYU 6, Cincy 6, Houston 4 without the other schools selecting a 2nd team specifically. Oklahoma is against Houston being added, and Texas would prefer BYU over Cincy, but I bet they're willing to push their votes to Cincy in exchange for votes for Houston.



2nd round of voting, UC 10, Hou 8, BYU 2. Game over.
B
byufan4ever
hawkwing wrote:
I heard a vague rumor that BYU signed a Big 12 agreement last night and that a few very high level donors are quietly being told right now and that the announcement is forthcoming.


<gets hope up> 8)


hawkwing wrote:
Don't get your hopes up.


:angry:
E
EM_Puma
Honestly, after all this time, I don't think those that would know would leak a thing until the deal was sealed and a presser was in the works. I doubt anything was signed.



We better hope as well that this happens because there are so many Cougar fans stirred to high levels of frenzy, like the last time. If it doesn't happen, there will be a serious wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
hawkwing wrote:
I heard a vague rumor that BYU signed a Big 12 agreement last night and that a few very high level donors are quietly being told right now and that the announcement is forthcoming.



Don't get your hopes up.


I thought YOU were a high level donor..... ;)
G
Guest
BoiseBYU wrote:
I heard a vague rumor that BYU signed a Big 12 agreement last night and that a few very high level donors are quietly being told right now and that the announcement is forthcoming.



Don't get your hopes up.


I thought YOU were a high level donor..... ;)


Yeah, that's where the rumor originated, when Chad Lewis called me!
G
Guest
espn960-byu-big12.PNG
H
Hookem
I haven't been here for a while, so forgive me if I interject. You guys have been kind to me in the past and so I'd thought I'd share.



I was given some second hand information early this week that surprised me considering the original source. It doesn't get any higher than where this came from, but apparently top Texas brass have been fairly candid with who they believe it is, or at least who they think it should be - Houston and BYU.



Take that for what it's worth...



I hope my friend is accurate in his interpretation of what was said (he was pretty adamant about it). That said, I hope he's right, BYU deserves it.
U
Ungoy
Hookem wrote:
I haven't been here for a while, so forgive me if I interject. You guys have been kind to me in the past and so I'd thought I'd share.



I was given some second hand information early this week that surprised me considering the original source. It doesn't get any higher than where this came from, but apparently top Texas brass have been fairly candid with who they believe it is, or at least who they think it should be - Houston and BYU.



Take that for what it's worth...



I hope my friend is accurate in his interpretation of what was said (he was pretty adamant about it). That said, I hope he's right, BYU deserves it.


Welcome back! I certainly hope that's the case, and that BYU can get the 8 votes needed to join. I would love to play regular games against Texas. Aside from the recent Taysom Hill factor, I just love the idea of BYU competing in the Big 12.
Advertisement
H
Hookem
Ungoy wrote:
Welcome back! I certainly hope that's the case, and that BYU can get the 8 votes needed to join. I would love to play regular games against Texas. Aside from the recent Taysom Hill factor, I just love the idea of BYU competing in the Big 12.


Thanks. Let me just say, I was hesitant to say anything, but considering who said it gave me pause. I honestly didn't believe UH was getting in, I've been told that the UH lobbying by Texas was a facade. Texas just wants the satellite campus in Houston and that UH wouldn't block it anymore if Texas lobbied for them. I had heard that the tweets by McCraven, Fenves and Abbot were done after they knew that UH didn't have the votes.



When however, I heard what I heard on Monday, that changed somewhat because there was no reason for the original source to state UH and BYU just for the sake of it, to the guy who relayed this to me. Like I said, take it for what's worth. Negotiations are very fluid and can change on a dime, so we'll see. An annual game would be nice, once Taysom graduates of course...
B
BOID
I'm curious to know how Gordon Gee votes. There may be pressure on him to prioritize Cincy over BYU.



Hookem, that's good to hear that Texas wants the stronger programs, at least in football. The vote may be 50 percent political and 50 percent about shoring up the conference. Gary Patterson said something about the latter, that the new schools should strengthen the conference, and not the other way around.



But, anyhow, it's good to hear from you again, and thanks for the info!
H
Hookem
BOID wrote:
I'm curious to know how Gordon Gee votes. There may be pressure on him to prioritize Cincy over BYU.



Hookem, that good to hear that Texas wants the stronger programs, at least in football. The vote may be 50 percent political and 50 percent about shoring up the conference. Gary Patterson said something about the latter, that the new schools should strengthen the conference, and not the other way around.



But, anyhow, it's good to hear from you again, and thanks for the info!


You bet. Hopefully it pans out.
S
Schmoe
As long as BYU is one of the two (or four) teams in, we're good (except, maybe, if the other team is a burning pile of garbage, like Memphis).
B
BOID
Schmoe wrote:
As long as BYU is one of the two (or four) teams in, we're good (except, maybe, if the other team is a burning pile of garbage, like Memphis).


I second that!



Who said it? "The :utard:s of the AAC." That was priceless.
Advertisement
S
scott715
Great news Hookem, I hope it pans out. There are so many angles to this decision.
J
Jarhead
BYU in big12 would give Hookem reasons to continue to stay on the site. It's win win.
M
Mars
1. Houston. 2. Cincy. 3. BYU.

4. UConn/Memphis/Colorado State?



Possible B12 news leaks tomorrow?



Aug. 22 is the day after the Olympics (a Monday). A good day for a media presser, if deals are done.
H
Hookem
Mars wrote:
1. Houston. 2. Cincy. 3. BYU.

4. UConn/Memphis/Colorado State?



Possible B12 news leaks tomorrow?



Aug. 22 is the day after the Olympics (a Monday). A good day for a media presser, if deals are done.


As of Monday, the original source believed that only two teams were being taken.
M
Mars
Hookem wrote:
As of Monday, the original source believed that only two teams were being taken.

That's a little scary, because Houston is a political add for Texas/Texas Tech, and Cincy is a geographical add for WVU that OU supports. BYU is supported 2nd by Texas, and 1st by OU, or so I hear, but something has to give if just 2 are added. Though I think Fox would want us and ESPN would enjoy more Texas-BYU and BYU-Oklahoma type of match-ups in the future.



I think it will have to be 4 teams to get 8 schools out of 10 to agree though, personally.
Page 1 of 4
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.