Archived Topic

SMU Ups the Big XII Ante

by snoscythe · 8/4/2016

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
SMU's donors have stepped up and allowed SMU to make an offer to the Big XII that is shaking things up--SMU won't take any TV money for the first five years, and then will ease its way into full $$ membership over the following five years--in other words, pay nothing down, and we don't take our full share for a decade. I've heard from someone else that they've even hinted that they might be able to pay the Big XII a joining fee as well.



This could explain why Gary Patterson was suddenly vocal yesterday about wanting teams that make the conference better instead of teams who are looking for conference affiliation to make them better--I doubt he likes the idea of his next door neighbor (40 miles away) joining the club.



http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2016/08/03/gary-patterson-expanding-big-12-conferences-job-make-university-better



If SMU is offering no-money down or actually offering to buy into the Big XII, I don't think BYU can or will match that incentive.
S
Schmoe
snoscythe wrote:
I don't think BYU can or will match that incentive.


If the Big XII was honest about what they were looking for in a team/university, then BYU shouldn't have to.



Also, with all the bad press recently, do you really want a school that's had MAJOR sanctions against both money sports?
B
BOID
SMU is just too far-fetched. Too many Texas schools, and too much of a losing record. BYU strengthens and shores up the conference's survival against the next round of GOR's negotiations. If the networks are really concerned about watering down the conference, then BYU would be in. I don't see how SMU could buy their way in.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.