Archived Topic

Coaches Poll and AP Rankings are out...

by GolfDiveNCougs · 1/4/2010

Advertisement
G
GolfDiveNCougs
And we're finally ranked, coming in at #23 in the Coaches. Meh. Good news is, the rankings don't really matter! ANY team in the nation, by ending the season on a 10 game winning streak, IS the National Champion! Still, nice to be recognized. Attention DOES influence seeding.



http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/usatpoll.htm
C
craigoscarson
GolfDiveNCougs wrote:
And we're finally ranked, coming in at #23. Meh. Good news is, the rankings don't really matter! ANY team in the nation, by ending the season on a 10 game winning streak, IS the National Champion! Still, nice to be recognized. Attention DOES influence seeding.



http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/usatpoll.htm


25 in the AP
S
SpiffCoug
Only have to end on a six game win streak. These next two games are huge. BYU must win both of them to stay ranked. By staying ranked we stay relevant and in the national discussion. It will also allow us to suffer a loss without dropping from the rankings. If BYU can stay ranked from now until the end of the year, they stand a much betetr chance of getting a good seed.
G
gmj81
New Mexico, BYU and UNLV are #5, #6, and #8 seeds respectively in Lunardi's Bracketology. I fully expect BYU to finish the year with no more than three losses (but I'll hedge my bet by saying it'll be two losses as they'll drop just one somewhere on the road in conference), which I believe should be good for a #4 seed at the very least.
C
craigoscarson
gmj81 wrote:
New Mexico, BYU and UNLV are #5, #6, and #8 seeds respectively in Lunardi's Bracketology. I fully expect BYU to finish the year with no more than three losses (but I'll hedge my bet by saying it'll be two losses as they'll drop just one somewhere on the road in conference), which I believe should be good for a #4 seed at the very least.


This conference is going to be a bit of a gauntlet on the road. There are no gimmees. I wouldn't be surprised to drop one on the road to SDSU, TCU, Wyoming, or gasp Utah.



I do agree with Lunardi, it appears that we're headed to our 1st sub 8 seed... I think we'll learn a lot about this team with UNLV and Utep. Dave Rose has always done a comendable job in the conference regular season and our non-con thus far has been near sterling (utah state being the obvious exception) but not just the w-l but the way in which we're beating opponents, especially on the road. Our SOS leaves little to desire but our conference RPI is strong enough to make up for that if we can win 90%+ of those games.
Advertisement
M
Mars
craigoscarson wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised to drop one on the road to SDSU, TCU, Wyoming, or gasp Utah.

Really? I would be surprised if we dropped one on the road to TCU or Wyoming...
C
craigoscarson
Mars wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised to drop one on the road to SDSU, TCU, Wyoming, or gasp Utah.

Really? I would be surprised if we dropped one on the road to TCU or Wyoming...


That's the reason I named all 4 teams. I was saying that of those 4 road games, I wouldn't be surprised if we lose one in spite of the fact that we outclass all of them.
M
Mars
craigoscarson wrote:
That's the reason I named all 4 teams. I was saying that of those 4 road games, I wouldn't be surprised if we lose one in spite of the fact that we outclass all of them.
Interesting. Not logical, but interesting. Let me try:



@ UNLV, @ New Mexico, at home vs. CSU, at home vs. Air Force. We could definitely lose one or more of those 4 games!
C
craigoscarson
Mars wrote:
That's the reason I named all 4 teams. I was saying that of those 4 road games, I wouldn't be surprised if we lose one in spite of the fact that we outclass all of them.
Interesting. Not logical, but interesting. Let me try:



@ UNLV, @ New Mexico, at home vs. CSU, at home vs. Air Force. We could definitely lose one or more of those 4 games!


I think those 4 games ( at sdsu, at tcu, at wyoming and at utah) will all be within 4 points by Vegas's standards... and yes depending on what Cougar team shows up, at wyoming and at tcu will not be easy games. TCU has some talented players, as does Wyoming; the road is not an easy place to win.. Dave Rose has said as much in the last MWC conference call, if you bother to listen to them.



We have the potential to blow them all out, but one bad night on the road and we could lose any of those games.
E
EM_Puma
kitic77 wrote:
Only have to end on a six game win streak. These next two games are huge. BYU must win both of them to stay ranked. By staying ranked we stay relevant and in the national discussion. It will also allow us to suffer a loss without dropping from the rankings. If BYU can stay ranked from now until the end of the year, they stand a much betetr chance of getting a good seed.


Well, yea. If BYU goes undefeated from this point on, I would expect them to be ranked at least in the top 8 and be looking at a 2-4 range of seeding, hopefully no lower than a 3.



The sad thing about reality is that I believe BYU can win all the rest of their games, but rarely do you see a team do that. I'm just not sure what we have with New Mexico.
Advertisement
M
Mars
craigoscarson wrote:
I think those 4 games ( at sdsu, at tcu, at wyoming and at utah) will all be within 4 points by Vegas's standards...
I'm willing to take that bet. Wyoming is 5-7, with an RPI of 230. They've lost AT HOME to South Dakota State by 16 (RPI 208), Monmouth (RPI 303), Hampton by 11 (RPI 292), and Akron by 9 (RPI 167) already this season.



How about for a "I Agree With Max" shirt?
C
craigoscarson
Mars wrote:
I think those 4 games ( at sdsu, at tcu, at wyoming and at utah) will all be within 4 points by Vegas's standards...
I'm willing to take that bet. Wyoming is 5-7, with an RPI of 230. They've lost AT HOME to South Dakota State by 16 (RPI 208), Monmouth (RPI 303), Hampton by 11 (RPI 292), and Akron by 9 (RPI 167) already this season.



How about for a "I Agree With Max" shirt?


If BYU doesn't lose any of those 4 games, I will happily buy you a tshirt. In fact I have 4 tickets promised to me right behind the BYU bench in SLC for the Utah game; you can tell Hartsock and Abouo that they're garbage face to face.
C
clemdiggitydog1
IF we can get past the first round[big hurdle given our tourney record of late]with a decent seed being very important to that eventuality,and we could somehow get to the sweet 16,wouldn't it be epic for us to play that game in SLC,given where Lunardi has us positioned at the moment? looks like it's up to us if we can get that high seed.
S
SpiffCoug
EM_Puma wrote:
Well, yea. If BYU goes undefeated from this point on, I would expect them to be ranked at least in the top 8 and be looking at a 2-4 range of seeding, hopefully no lower than a 3.



The sad thing about reality is that I believe BYU can win all the rest of their games, but rarely do you see a team do that. I'm just not sure what we have with New Mexico.

If BYU went undefeated from here on out they would be 34-1 entering the NCAA tournament and having won the MWC tournament. I would bet a 34-1 BYU team would be in the Top 5 and be knocking on the door of a #1 seed.
C
craigoscarson
kitic77 wrote:
Well, yea. If BYU goes undefeated from this point on, I would expect them to be ranked at least in the top 8 and be looking at a 2-4 range of seeding, hopefully no lower than a 3.



The sad thing about reality is that I believe BYU can win all the rest of their games, but rarely do you see a team do that. I'm just not sure what we have with New Mexico.

If BYU went undefeated from here on out they would be 34-1 entering the NCAA tournament and having won the MWC tournament. I would bet a 34-1 BYU team would be in the Top 5 and be knocking on the door of a #1 seed.


We're still on for March 3 Kitic, I already have primo tickets promised to me. We'll know a lot more about this team that day.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
craigoscarson wrote:
EM_Puma wrote:
Well, yea. If BYU goes undefeated from this point on, I would expect them to be ranked at least in the top 8 and be looking at a 2-4 range of seeding, hopefully no lower than a 3.



The sad thing about reality is that I believe BYU can win all the rest of their games, but rarely do you see a team do that. I'm just not sure what we have with New Mexico.

If BYU went undefeated from here on out they would be 34-1 entering the NCAA tournament and having won the MWC tournament. I would bet a 34-1 BYU team would be in the Top 5 and be knocking on the door of a #1 seed.


We're still on for March 3 Kitic, I already have primo tickets promised to me. We'll know a lot more about this team that day.

Shazamalama. I finished my documentary project with my editing software and am pretty good with it. I think it's going to be a lot of fun.
M
Mars


BYU is ranked now for part of the season for the 4th year in a row, a new BYU record.



Here are the All-Time Cougar rankings:

Year Highest Rank Coach

1950-51 11 Stan Watts

1953-54 19 Stan Watts

1955-56 5 Stan Watts

1964-65 9 Stan Watts

1965-66 6 Stan Watts

1966-67 7 Stan Watts

1970-71 20 Stan Watts

1971-72 6 Stan Watts

1972-73 12 Glen Potter

1979-80 12 Frank Arnold

1980-81 15 Frank Arnold

1981-82 15 Frank Arnold

1987-88 3 Ladell Andersen

1992-93 21 Roger Reid

2006-07 21 Dave Rose

2007-08 20 Dave Rose

2008-09 25 Dave Rose

2009-10 25 Dave Rose

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=272&sid=9227539



And our current computer profile:

Ken Pomeroy: 5th

Jeff Sagarin: 13th

Jerry Palm RPI: 42nd

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=498&sid=9224497
G
GolfDiveNCougs
kitic77 wrote:
Only have to end on a six game win streak.
Well, yes. Not to nitpick, but what I was inferring was that any* team, to get into the tournament, needs a maximum 4 wins in a row in their conference tourney to get INTO the NCAA Tourney, and from there it's 6** more before you're National Champion. So for the prohibitive majority of teams, 10 wins to end the season will guarantee you a National Championship.



*A very select few conferences don't include the worst-record teams in their conference tourney bracket, so a team from one of those conferences would need to get at least enough conference wins to be included in their own tourney.



**It could be 7 games if the team was bracketed into the play-in game, as would likely be the case if a team went, oh, 0-27 to start, then somehow miraculously went on a 3-game tear in their tourney. I'm sure it's happened before...
S
SpiffCoug
Got it.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.