Archived Topic

Of the Position Groups listed, in which do you have the LEAST amount of confidence?

by SpiffCoug · 8/2/2016

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
We left the world of majority and went to unanimity! I'm not sure if there has ever been a unanimous poll here on Cougar Corner.



I'm going with the LBs this poll as there some changes of position and a whole new scheme to the 4-3.





Here's how it is so far:

1. ???

2. ???

3. ???

4. DB (100%)

5. WR/TE (53%)

6. ST (52%)

7. DL (57%)

8. OL (61%)
S
Schmoe
Shoot, I voted LB because I'm concerned about every aspect of the defense, but RB may actually be a more concerning group: Who knows how JSwag will be after coming back, Brown had fumble issues, Canada is green, and our best RB from last season is playing LB.
C
Cougs_Rule
Lbs will rock this D. Jswag's health is a ? And Algies ability to catch the ball in this O is pretty important.
S
SpiffCoug
Schmoe wrote:
Shoot, I voted LB because I'm concerned about every aspect of the defense, but RB may actually be a more concerning group: Who knows how JSwag will be after coming back, Brown had fumble issues, Canada is green, and our best RB from last season is playing LB.


Great points. But I agree more with these points.


Cougs_Rule wrote:
Lbs will rock this D. Jswag's health is a ? And Algies ability to catch the ball in this O is pretty important.
S
snoscythe
QB for me. They have the most new stuff to pick up as far as implementing new schemes go (i.e. moving from a spread offense to a pre-snap read, audible- and timing-based offense). The QB is the pinch-point on whether or not Detmer's offense can click in its first season.



Also, QB2 will be a very real temptation if things start to go sideways. The cupboard might be too full, if that makes sense.



RBs just do what they always do, but may be called on to catch more passes out of the backfield, and the LBs' roles could actually be simplified under the 4-3.
Advertisement
R
redneckjedi
I picked LB. We've got some serious potential there. On paper, they should be better than the group we had in 2006. However, I saw some lapses in fundamentals (missed tackles, over pursuit) that I don't remember from 10 years ago. Hopefully that goes away.
A
ABYUFAN
I don't know that Taysom is 100% After Mangum there is a big drop off in depth. In my mind, the LBs and RBs have more depth; and therefore I went with QB's also... that said, I'm not THAT concerned about any of these three groups.
B
BroncoBot
ABYUFAN wrote:
I don't know that Taysom is 100% After Mangum there is a big drop off in depth. In my mind, the LBs and RBs have more depth; and therefore I went with QB's also... that said, I'm not THAT concerned about any of these three groups.

Why would you think Taysom isn't 100%? Just wondering if you know something.
A
ABYUFAN
BroncoBot wrote:
I don't know that Taysom is 100% After Mangum there is a big drop off in depth. In my mind, the LBs and RBs have more depth; and therefore I went with QB's also... that said, I'm not THAT concerned about any of these three groups.

Why would you think Taysom isn't 100%? Just wondering if you know something.

No I know nothing about Taysom, I just remembered this story http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865649191/Scientific-study-suggests-Taysom-Hills-recovery-should-be-complete-in-due-time.html?pg=all and I haven't heard any updates lately (Although I might have missed one) That's the entire basis of my concern
M
mormonrasta
ABYUFAN wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:
I don't know that Taysom is 100% After Mangum there is a big drop off in depth. In my mind, the LBs and RBs have more depth; and therefore I went with QB's also... that said, I'm not THAT concerned about any of these three groups.

Why would you think Taysom isn't 100%? Just wondering if you know something.

No I know nothing about Taysom, I just remembered this story http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865649191/Scientific-study-suggests-Taysom-Hills-recovery-should-be-complete-in-due-time.html?pg=all and I haven't heard any updates lately (Although I might have missed one) That's the entire basis of my concern


Here's an updated article. He's squatting 500 and benching 340. I would say he seems to be OK.



http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865657419/Taysom-Hills-recovery-on-track-trainers-keep-holding-him-back.html?pg=all
Advertisement
S
scott715
Taysom says he is now 100%.
S
SenorCougar
Refresh my memory. After Williams and Brown, who are the RB's? A little concerned about the coaching experience at this position. I selected RB's.
S
SpiffCoug
SenorCougar wrote:
Refresh my memory. After Williams and Brown, who are the RB's? A little concerned about the coaching experience at this position. I selected RB's.

Good point about coaching. BYU/Sitake hired a non-coach to coach the RBs. He hired a funny, go-lucky personality to be an FBS position coach in Reno Mahe. He hired an un-serious, friend for one of the few coaching positions.
S
snoscythe
SenorCougar wrote:
Refresh my memory. After Williams and Brown, who are the RB's? A little concerned about the coaching experience at this position. I selected RB's.


Squalls Canada and Riley Burt? Those two aren't slouches by any means. I liked Burt better than Brown last season.
B
BroncoBot
mormonrasta wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
I don't know that Taysom is 100% After Mangum there is a big drop off in depth. In my mind, the LBs and RBs have more depth; and therefore I went with QB's also... that said, I'm not THAT concerned about any of these three groups.

Why would you think Taysom isn't 100%? Just wondering if you know something.

No I know nothing about Taysom, I just remembered this story http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865649191/Scientific-study-suggests-Taysom-Hills-recovery-should-be-complete-in-due-time.html?pg=all and I haven't heard any updates lately (Although I might have missed one) That's the entire basis of my concern


Here's an updated article. He's squatting 500 and benching 340. I would say he seems to be OK.



http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865657419/Taysom-Hills-recovery-on-track-trainers-keep-holding-him-back.html?pg=all

OK, seems he's been ready to go (according to him) for quite some time. I think he'll have no problem coming back. as someone who deals with these injuries frequently I can say they are unpredictable. But, like Hill's ankle fracture, there is a lot of research suggesting that outcomes can be very favorable. Would love to read the operative report/see some radiographs. I wonder what they did with his foot.
Advertisement
S
SenorCougar
Medical question .... From all that has been said about Taysom, he is a freak athlete with crazy workouts. If the workouts build muscle and strength, is it possible that his muscular strength becomes so strong that his joints/bones cannot tolerate the torque of his muscular strength, which can then break or crack joints/bones when he cuts while running, etc? I guess it like strengthening the power of the muscles without strengthening the bones/joints...
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.