Archived Topic

BYU has formally notified the Big 12 of interest, believe issues can be worked out

by Fido · 7/22/2016

Advertisement
F
Fido
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/17127391/byu-notifies-big-12-interest-joining-conference-open-discussing-football-only-option



BYU has formally notified the Big 12 of its interest in joining the conference and would be open to discussing a football-only option to get into the league, Cougars athletic director Tom Holmoe told ESPN.com.



Interesting items in the story:

- Full membership with the Big 12 is BYU's goal

- On no-Sunday play: "I believe that's something that can be worked out," he said. "We've been in a lot of leagues through the years, and we've been able to work it out. "There would be a difference in the Big 12 because that would be a Power 5 conference. They're going to ask questions. We'll have our solutions, creative ideas of what we can do. We're going to do everything we can."

- BYU would be willing to take partial distribution initially to join the Big 12.



No shockers there, but interesting to note that the discussions are going on and BYU is prepared for discussion on these fronts.
S
scott715
Get the foot in the door and we could add our other sports later. I am okay with football only.
S
snoscythe
Problem with football only is that it makes it easier to marginalize/exclude you down the road.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
I just have a plain gut hunch that all sports will go. BYU is pretty good all around, competition would be on par with the conference.



I get that Sunday play is a hassle to work around, but cmon.



Travel is travel, it just comes with D-1 athletics.
J
Jarhead
snoscythe wrote:
Problem with football only is that it makes it easier to marginalize/exclude you down the road.


I agree that it's a lesser option, but it's better than being left out completely. BYU is making it clear what they prefer, but that may not align with what the Big 12 wants in the end.
Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
It doesn't have to be football only. It can be football, men's basketball and a few other sports as well that do not participate on Sunday at all. The rest of our teams can remain in wcc, mpsf, or Indy with a scheduling agreement with the Big Xii.



Win, win, win. I win because I advocated the idea, and surely Tom hasn't thought of it yet. ;)
S
SpiffCoug
Earlier in the week, Holmoe mentioned he would follow the instructions he was given. My guess is this is part of the instructions - express interest.
S
scott715
Cougbib has chimed in. http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=16189481



Inside Sources are saying BYU to Big 12 2017 is a done deal. In order to protect the innocent, let me make it clear to those that know me: This did not come from any of my relatives. I never ask them anything and they would not tell me if I did ask.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.