Archived Topic

Preferred Expansion Candidates

by TulaneVandyRiceCoug · 7/22/2016

Advertisement
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
My vote for first 4 in is Houston, Cincy, Memphis, and that school in Provo.



What's yours?



And how did Tulane even enter the conversation? I mean, just what in the world even is that? Back in the dinosaur age they were SEC, and they have academics, but just don't belong. (Although I do think the superdome is awesome and New Orleans is one of the funnest towns on earth).



And UConn? Come on. Too small. They would add good basketball though.



Florida schools are just Florida schools.



Donkey State is my first one out.
V
vancouvercougar
BYU, Cincy, Houston, BSU in that order
S
StatsCougar
Houston, Cincy, BYU, and Memphis. That is the order Ii think the Big 12 will select them. If there are only two teams are taken, BYU is out; unless they are taken as football only (then it's BYU and Cincy.)



Other thoughts:

I wonder if other Power 5 schools are talking to the Big 12. I could see some schools (Colorado, Arizona for example) seeing benefit in leaving the Pac-12 and their network for a chance to own their own teir-3 rights.

I also wonder if the big 12 could trade schools with another conference. I.E trade West Virginia to the ACC for Louisville. That would help both leagues since Louisville is far away from everyone else in the ACC and West Virginia is a rival to Pitt. That would help solve some of the travel issue.
S
Schmoe
Who I want them to take: BYU, BSU, Cincy, UConn



What I think the list looks like: Houston, BYU, Cincy, UConn



So, I think 3 of 4's not bad. I want us to have a travel partner, but I don't think BSU offers a big enough market and I don't think CSU is big enough in their market. I'd really not like to be in a conference with the :utard: of the east -- Memphis.
S
SpiffCoug
Who I want them to take: BYU.



I don't care about any other team enough to want them to join as well.
Advertisement
S
Screamineagle
SpiffCoug wrote:
Who I want them to take: BYU.



I don't care about any other team enough to want them to join as well.

I agree with SpiffCoug. Although if I were a betting person I would saw we have a 30 % chance of getting in were gonna get screwed again somehow.I hope I am wrong but I know how political this will get.
S
Screamineagle
I will say that I think the quicker this happens the better our odds of getting in.
M
Mars
BYU and Colorado State. That makes the Pac12 an option if the Big12 dies.
B
BOID
I do not understand how Memphis warrants this much consideration. The Fed Ex bribe does not measure up, in my opinion.



They had one big FB season in which they barely won a lesser bowl game against BYU's third string QB, and then provoked a brawl. Also curious, is that the sports news media seems to remember only BYU's role in the fight that Memphis started.



Those Memphis thugs are way less qualified than other second tier candidates such as Houston, Cincy, or Boise State. Outside of ACC or PAC leaders unlikely to bolt from their conferences, Byu stands out as the lone first tier candidate.



Memphis brings nothing of value other than prime geography.

Memphis is unsavory.

Memphis is unqualified.
B
BOID
I think that my 2nd choice would be Boise State. Unfortunately though, their small local TV market, mediocre athletics outside of FB, and their academics will likely keep them out.



I agree that BYU's chances will be enhanced by a faster, shorter process. The knee-jerk response would be, "OK, BYU is the best option that's still available, so let's grab that no-brainer and then we'll figure out the rest." Prolongation of the research phase will give detractors more time to criticize, and will give regional politics more influence. For example, the Texas people that want Houston will have more time to twist arms or to offer quid pro quo deals.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Sports Illustrated's Campus Rush lists BYU as the third choice behind Cincy and Houston.
E
EM_Puma
Screamineagle wrote:
Who I want them to take: BYU.



I don't care about any other team enough to want them to join as well.

I agree with SpiffCoug. Although if I were a betting person I would saw we have a 30 % chance of getting in were gonna get screwed again somehow.I hope I am wrong but I know how political this will get.


My feelings exactly. Too many people getting too hyped on this expansion talk with people that don't know seeming to be factual sources. I'm keeping my wits about me this time. If it happens, it will be good, but I believe, after seeing things like the NBA pull an all-star game from Charlottsville because of certain individuals rights, there will be people all over the exclusion of BYU on the same grounds. There is currently too much power in the hands of that minority group that I would be totally shocked. Yet, the Big 12 is about the only conference where there would be any possibility of getting through that mine field.
B
BroncoBot
snoscythe wrote:
Sports Illustrated's Campus Rush lists BYU as the third choice behind Cincy and Houston.

This seems most logical when you look at endorsements of UH lately as well as getting another team that is considered "eastern".



Hate to say it, but I think byu gets left out of the initial expanion (as dumb/illogical as that would be for the big 12). BYU might have a shot if they go to 14. My bet would be along with CSU.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.