Archived Topic

Greg Wrubell's Cougar Quiz #6

by hawkwing · 6/22/2016

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
I got 90% and I talked myself out of the correct answer for the only question I missed. (who ended BYU's 25 game winning streak).
B
BOID
I got 90 percent also. I missed the one about Cody Hoffman exceeding 5000 yards. Thought it was Harvey Unga.
B
BOID
I remember, UCLA needed a pick 6 to get by BYU then. It's too bad that BYU didn't hold on.



Also, Ohio St needed a BYU TD nullified by officials to get by BYU in the bowl game that year. Vai Sikahema fumbled AFTER breaking the plane of the goal line. It was clearly a TD, and would have put BYU over OSU 14 to 10. OSU also needed a pick six in that one to win, since their offense was held to only 3 points.



That 1985 team was a legitimate national contender. If Bosco's shoulder hadn't gotten compromised, maybe they would have gone undefeated again. I still don't know how they managed to lose to the UTEP Miners, however.
F
frdbtr
BOID wrote:
I remember, UCLA needed a pick 6 to get by BYU then. It's too bad that BYU didn't hold on.



Also, Ohio St needed a BYU TD nullified by officials to get by BYU in the bowl game that year. Vai Sikahema fumbled AFTER breaking the plane of the goal line. It was clearly a TD, and would have put BYU over OSU 14 to 10. OSU also needed a pick six in that one to win, since their offense was held to only 3 points.



That 1985 team was a legitimate national contender. If Bosco's shoulder hadn't gotten compromised, maybe they would have gone undefeated again. I still don't know how they managed to lose to the UTEP Miners, however.


Unfortunately for me, I didn't pay attention to BYU sports during the Bosco years. I remember my uncle being excited about the national championship but it didn't really register with me about the importance of that. I was into motorcycle riding and didn't care about sports in general and watching it on TV held no interest for me. I got into BYU football during the Ty Detmer years. So any question I answer before then is a bonus for me.
Advertisement
B
BOID
It sounds like some great years that you had. Team sports are not all there is, for sure.
F
frdbtr
BOID wrote:
It sounds like some great years that you had. Team sports are not all there is, for sure.


I still love riding motorcycles. Added BYU football to it. Made life even better. 8)
S
Schmoe
BOID wrote:
I still don't know how they managed to lose to the UTEP Miners, however.


UTEP cheated.
F
frdbtr
Schmoe wrote:
I still don't know how they managed to lose to the UTEP Miners, however.


UTEP cheated.


I've heard interviews from guys on the 85 team who lost to utep and all of them said that there was no cheating. They said that utep had planned to stop the pass at all costs and BYU was so arrogant that they were going to throw on them anyway and it backfired. They could have adjusted the game plan and ran on utep until they stopped it but they were arrogant and wanted to throw on them to prove that they could and lost.
E
EM_Puma
1 got an 80%, which is my highest score this season. tough questions, but finally this week not so obscure.
Advertisement
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
60% here.



I can't believe we have never played Arkansas. Growing up in the South, I see them as a middle-of-the-pack SEC team, who we can contend with regularly. They are on par with Miss St, Ole Miss, and Tennessee. BYU would match up well with any of these.



Can't wait for the Miss St game. I think we can beat the hell out of them and make a nice statement on national tv.
B
BOID
I agree. This is one game that I especially look forward to. A win against an SEC team will look good, and it's very reachable. Also, has an SEC team ever come to Provo? Texas A/M may have, 1996? But those Aggies were still Big 12 then.



The other big game is UCLA, in Provo. Especially since the media already has Josh Rosen as a top five QB, while down-grading Mangum/Hill, just because of coaching changes. Personally, I would rather have Mangum/Hill, either one of which will be very comfortable playing at home. I put Mangum first because I think there is a high probability of Hill's foot not being 100 percent happy. However, I think that UCLA will be in even bigger trouble if Hill is at full steam.



Actually, I'm not fully confident against UCLA. I place them in a group of three contests that are the most threatening for BYU, the other two being MSU and WVU. I wouldn't be that worried about WVU if it did not involve such a long trip.



I think BYU will most likely go 9/3, but could possibly end up anywhere between 6/6 and 10/2. I'll be drop-jaw surprised if these Cougars lose more than six games in the regular season. One thing I'll go out on a limb for: The Runnin' Utes run out of luck against BYU this year.
S
Schmoe
frdbtr wrote:
BOID wrote:
I still don't know how they managed to lose to the UTEP Miners, however.


UTEP cheated.


I've heard interviews from guys on the 85 team who lost to utep and all of them said that there was no cheating. They said that utep had planned to stop the pass at all costs and BYU was so arrogant that they were going to throw on them anyway and it backfired. They could have adjusted the game plan and ran on utep until they stopped it but they were arrogant and wanted to throw on them to prove that they could and lost.


I've heard plenty to the contrary, but to each their own.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.