Archived Topic

Jordan Chatman to transfer.

by SpiffCoug · 6/10/2016

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I wonder if he stays in state.



Is this Rose make more room available on the roster? Is he helping move a kid along who he didn't think was really going to fully contribute?



He was fairly inconsistent, but I thought he was going to be a kid who continue to develop in to a solid, solid player.
G
Guest
That's surprising to me. I remember there being a lot of early hype around him.
F
Fido
D-News says he graduated and is a graduate transfer with 3 years of eligibility left. He has already been accepted to BYU law school--but I wonder if he is looking at law school elsewhere.



That leaves 2 scholarships available though I wonder if all will get filled (or maybe just for 1 year) because there is only 1 senior on the team and 3 guys coming off their missions for scholarships next season in Andrus, Nixon, and Worthington.
G
Guest
Dave Noriega said he could transfer to UVU and still attend BYU Law, I'm not exactly sure how that would work though.
F
frdbtr
Too bad, I thought he was starting to show signs of being a solid player. Not sure what happened, but it does smell like he was sat down and told he wasn't going to fit on the team.
Advertisement
F
Fido
With the lack of guards, I'm not sure Rose would have sent him off--unless there is someone else waiting for a spot that we all don't know about.
Q
Qman
This is not good news. I wonder if this is about Rose not being willing to promise playing time to Chatman even though Chatman put in the time into the program.
E
EM_Puma
It sucks.
N
nuk13
I thought he was one of the better players with a lot of upside. While he shot 3s he didn't seem to be one to fling them up as soon as he crossed the mid stripe. To me he was one of the better team players rather than one looking to pump up his stats. I will miss him.
A
ABYUFAN
Looks like BYU Law school is forcing his hand on this. Based on Twitter (and when has that ever been a bad idea) The law school will not allow him to be on the hoops team, so now the team lost a solid player AND the Law School lost a loyal student. Interesting (especially given that the Law School granted a very big accommodation to Steve Young.)
Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
This makes zero sense. Just by default of lack of guards he was going to get playing time. Did he think he deserved starter 30+ minutes ahead of Haws/Emery?? There's got to be more to this...
G
Guest
His dad said on Twitter that it was BYU Law said that first year law students are not allowed to have extra-curricular activities outside of the law school, so he couldn't play on the team and stay enrolled.
B
BroncoBot
Awful. I don't understand the law school decision. WHY? If he fails out, that's on him, right?



This is ridiculous.
C
Cougarfan87
It's pretty typical of law school...no work or other extra curriculars for the first year. After that, you control your schedule.
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
Maybe he could score some extra credit by suing the Law School and getting them to back off.... :)
B
BlueK
hawkwing wrote:
Dave Noriega said he could transfer to UVU and still attend BYU Law, I'm not exactly sure how that would work though.


I find it really hard to believe the NCAA would let someone play basketball at a school they're not attending.
B
BlueK
ABYUFAN wrote:
Looks like BYU Law school is forcing his hand on this. Based on Twitter (and when has that ever been a bad idea) The law school will not allow him to be on the hoops team, so now the team lost a solid player AND the Law School lost a loyal student. Interesting (especially given that the Law School granted a very big accommodation to Steve Young.)


Steve Young wasn't taking classes at all during football season. Jordan Chatman can't do that because of NCAA rules. You have to be attending class to play.
G
Guest
BlueK wrote:
Dave Noriega said he could transfer to UVU and still attend BYU Law, I'm not exactly sure how that would work though.


I find it really hard to believe the NCAA would let someone play basketball at a school they're not attending.


Same here, I don't know how he expected that to work.
A
ABYUFAN
BlueK wrote:
Looks like BYU Law school is forcing his hand on this. Based on Twitter (and when has that ever been a bad idea) The law school will not allow him to be on the hoops team, so now the team lost a solid player AND the Law School lost a loyal student. Interesting (especially given that the Law School granted a very big accommodation to Steve Young.)


Steve Young wasn't taking classes at all during football season. Jordan Chatman can't do that because of NCAA rules. You have to be attending class to play.

Right, allowing a student to take semesters off is a very big accommodation. The Law school could have allowed Jordan to do the same thing (but chose not to).
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.