Archived Topic

How Badly Will TCU Beat Boise State?

by Mars · 1/2/2010

Advertisement
M
Mars


How Badly Will Gary Patterson's TCU Horned Frogs (#3, 12-0, MWC) Beat Chris Petersen's Boise State Broncos (#6, 13-0, WAC) in the Fiesta Bowl BCS Bowl Game on Monday, January 4th, 2010?



http://media.al.com/birmingham-news-sports/photo/tcuboise-1209jpg-5f59cb5f4695ca64_large.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



I originally saw this as just a 9 point TCU victory (BSU beat Oregon by 11, Oregon beat Utah by 7, TCU beat Utah by 27), even though they only won by 1 point last season. But now I'm thinking more like a 21 point Horned Frog win. Your thoughts?
G
Guest
If TCU can jump on Boise early I expect a lot of Boise turnovers as they struggle to play from behind, and could easily see that leading to 3-4 td win.
S
SpiffCoug
hawkwing wrote:
If TCU can jump on Boise early I expect a lot of Boise turnovers as they struggle to play from behind, and could easily see that leading to 3-4 td win.

Excellent point. Boise hasn't been behind in a game in a LONG time. I can see them really starting to press and simply not knowing how to react.
B
byutx
BSU can't defend well, especially the run. TCU has a top-10 offense.

BSU can't run the ball very well but they do throw it well. TCU has the best defense in the country. They'll contain the run and get plenty of pressure with their front 4. They won't blitz much-they haven't much all season. They'll drop 7 and pick BSU's QB off. It'll look a lot like the FL/Cin Sugar Bowl. TCU will score almost at will. BSU will get some insignificant jabs in and maybe a couple trick plays.
S
SpiffCoug
Boise shut down Oregon's run quite well early in the season. But other teams have had running success against them (Nevada, etc). I think Boise's defense is pretty good. But so were BYU's and Utah's and the Horny Toads score 37 and 58 against them.



TCU 51

Boise 17
Advertisement
B
bigbluepuma
TCU is a whole lot better than Oklohoma was a few years ago. I am from Boise, so I was a BSU fan before I became a BYU fan, but not only am I for the MWC in this one, but I don't think that BSU has a chance.
B
byutx
kitic77 wrote:
Boise shut down Oregon's run quite well early in the season. But other teams have had running success against them (Nevada, etc). I think Boise's defense is pretty good. But so were BYU's and Utah's and the Horny Toads score 37 and 58 against them.



TCU 51

Boise 17

That was much more Oregon's ineptitude, they couldn't run or throw it at all, than because of BSU's defense. I remember thinking that was the worst execution by two teams that I could remember. After a full season of FB watching, it is still the worst performance by a pair of teams of the year (of all the games I watched-which included nearly every game available on Directv).



I like your score prediction.
S
SpiffCoug
Good points. Despite not getting a 1st down until the middle of the third quarter, Oregon was still in the game and even had a chance to win. Three teams rushed for more than 200 yards on Boise and one had more than 300. I still think Boise has a solid defense, but they have yet to play a team as complete as TCU. The Horny Toads can score on offense, defense and special teams. And I wouldn't be surprised if they do.
F
frdbtr
I picked 15-21. I expect a 2-3 touchdown win. This is me being conservative because BSU is a pretty good team. It would not suprise me to see a score similar to what they did to us in Provo though.
J
jonnylingo
BSU 3



TCU 107



Biggest win in the history of college football afterwich they are voted number one in the ap poll.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
jonnylingo wrote:
BSU 3



TCU 107



Biggest win in the history of college football afterwich they are voted number one in the ap poll.


What makes you so confident that BSU will put up 3?
S
SpiffCoug
Clearly you have forgotten about the Tim Tebow effect. I fully expect TCU to move up only one spot to three and Florida will jump them to two.
W
westidahocougar
I actually see this being a close game. As the boards biggest BSU fan this game has me more worried than if BSU had played anyone else. TCU is very good and very well coached.



Based on TCU's resume and how their bowl teams are winning, they look better by the day and it will be a tough game for BSU to compete with them.



On the other hand, the transitive property of college football doesn't seem to hold any water this year. Team A beats team B, Team B beats Team C, so naturally, Team A should beat Team C. The bowl season has proved otherwise...



I also know that BSU has only been blown out once this decade (Georgia 05'). I highly doubt they will get blown out by TCU, though if any team is capable, it would be the Horned Frogs.



Here is to a good game and good representation from the non-AQ teams. Its just too bad this bowl is such a let down as TCU and BSU both deserved a shot at a name school.
B
byutx
westidahocougar wrote:
I actually see this being a close game. As the boards biggest BSU fan this game has me more worried than if BSU had played anyone else. TCU is very good and very well coached.



Based on TCU's resume and how their bowl teams are winning, they look better by the day and it will be a tough game for BSU to compete with them.



On the other hand, the transitive property of college football doesn't seem to hold any water this year. Team A beats team B, Team B beats Team C, so naturally, Team A should beat Team C. The bowl season has proved otherwise...



I also know that BSU has only been blown out once this decade (Georgia 05'). I highly doubt they will get blown out by TCU, though if any team is capable, it would be the Horned Frogs.



Here is to a good game and good representation from the non-AQ teams. Its just too bad this bowl is such a let down as TCU and BSU both deserved a shot at a name school.

This will be the best team BSU has ever played. They don't have much of a defense. It's going to be ugly.
S
SpiffCoug
I said it in the Florida-Cincy thread. Great defense trumps great offense. Boise is going to be completely stymied on offense. I won't be surprised to see TCU score on offense, defense and special teams. Boise has not played a team this year that can get consistent, disruptive pressure with their front four all while still completely shutting down the running game.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
The WestIdahoBluegers will lose this one big. They haven't played a complete team all year and won't have an answer for both the TCU run and passing game.
S
SpiffCoug
Like TCU is a complete team. Oh wait, they average 255 yards on the ground and 213 yards through the air.



But here's the real reason they're going to win: Passing Efficiency Differential.

TCU Passing Efficiency: 162.12

TCU Passing Efficiency Defense: 90.24

TCU PED: 71.88

Boise Passing Efficiency: 164.22

Boise Passing Efficiency Defense: 103.51

Boise PED: 60.71
B
bball
I think TCU wins this game, but Boise is an excellent football team; better offensively than defensively, but it will not be a blowout.



TCU 31 BSU 24
M
mormonrasta
No question TCU is a better team, but don't they throw up all over themselves at least 1 game a year?



2005 SMU

2006 Utah

2007 Wyoming

2008 Utah

2009 BSU?



I picked BSU to win on TCU's mistakes.
B
byutx
mormonrasta wrote:
No question TCU is a better team, but don't they throw up all over themselves at least 1 game a year?



2005 SMU

2006 Utah

2007 Wyoming

2008 Utah

2009 BSU?



I picked BSU to win on TCU's mistakes.

AFA and Clemson are both potential throw up all over themselves games.
Page 1 of 5
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.