Archived Topic

Captain America: Civil War (SPOILERS)

by Mars · 5/7/2016

Advertisement
M
Mars
I just saw the movie, and kinda wanted to discuss it. Anyone else?
S
Schmoe
Saw it Thursday and enjoyed it -- kinda hate Tony Stark now, though.
G
Guest
Saw it. My thoughts were it comes down to a metaphor for gun control.



Stark wants gun control, Cap'n doesn't.
S
snoscythe
Libertarianism vs Authoritarianism



'cept Stark wants to eat his cake and have it too--subject everyone to rules/regs, but go off the reservation when it suits him (e.g. Spidey never signed the Accords, runs off after Cap'n by his lonesome at the end, etc.)
M
Mars
I didn't like it very much. Dumber than the comic version by far. Agree to ask permission to save lives? Uh, nope! No real bad guy, no real losses. Stupid idea that the world dislikes them after they saved the entire planet recently. Also, why did Tony Stark's dad have 5 Winter Soldier kits in the trunk of his car? Why would Captain America know about that? And wasn't Bucky just unfrozen around 2012? Why was Ant-Man okay with going to jail when he spent an entire movie trying specifically to avoid that? Why was Hawkeye treated like a supervillain? Too many plot holes for me.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Mars wrote:
I didn't like it very much. Dumber than the comic version by far. Agree to ask permission to save lives? Uh, nope! No real bad guy, no real losses. Stupid idea that the world dislikes them after they saved the entire planet recently. Also, why did Tony Stark's dad have 5 Winter Soldier kits in the trunk of his car? Why would Captain America know about that? And wasn't Bucky just unfrozen around 2012? Why was Ant-Man okay with going to jail when he spent an entire movie trying specifically to avoid that? Why was Hawkeye treated like a supervillain? Too many plot holes for me.


1. The world, the mob, is fickle and stupid, and will especially look for reasons to hate America, Americans, and American things (like superheroes).



2. Tony's dad was Mr. Innovator/Invention extraordinaire who did all kinds of dangerous, experimental, and sometimes faux-military stuff.



3. Cap would know about it because he's close buddies with Bucky and has talked with him.



4. On this one, I may be remembering wrong, but they woke up Bucky when needed, then put him back to bed.



5. I don't think the super characters on Cap's side actually thought they would end up in prison, and Ant Man was star struck and stoked to be on a super team.



6. It seemed to me like Hawkeye was treated the same as the other members of team Cap. Maybe there's more there because he was turned by Loki juice before so they're more wary of him?



Not a perfect film by any stretch, but I thought it played well and was a splendid mix of action, drama, and comedic relief. I wasn't a big fan of Black Panther, though, he felt totally unnecessary in the film like it was a forced plug for his future solo film (which it was).
G
Guest
snoscythe wrote:
Libertarianism vs Authoritarianism



'cept Stark wants to eat his cake and have it too--subject everyone to rules/regs, but go off the reservation when it suits him (e.g. Spidey never signed the Accords, runs off after Cap'n by his lonesome at the end, etc.)


That sounds like every version of Authoritarianism I've ever seen. Make the rules for everyone else, while doing whatever they want.
J
jvquarterback
This is the first one I've been to in a while. Reminded me why I've given up on these films.



Not good by any measure.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.