Archived Topic

Help--Sourcing a "quote"

by snoscythe · 5/5/2016

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
I've been trying to source this quote that's been flooding my inbox the last week or two and is now taking over Mormon Facebook.



Problem is, I don't think Ezra Taft Benson ever said it. Can anyone find a source on this? Usually it's pretty simple to find sources on what apostles and prophets have said, but I'm coming up empty on this one:



https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13151776_1205775802786605_5848920983357779240_n.jpg?oh=907f6045034b0b4c2271181687f70bdd&oe=57B16461" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
Sounds made up.
S
snoscythe
As far as I can tell, the "quote" doesn't exist prior to 2012, when someone posted it on a blog and said it was "loosely attributed" to Ezra Taft Benson.



There's a number of Conservative LDS Blogs/articles out there from 2008 and before talking about voting and the lesser of two evils theory, and none of them ever mention this quote, much less attribute it to ETB.



My thinking is that this is a quote that, while I wish someone had said it, it just doesn't have the same precision as a political statement I would expect from Ezra Taft Benson, and its apparent genesis in 2012 and lack of sourcing lead me to believe it's something he never said.
J
jvquarterback
FWIW this was posted in 2011. No citation.



http://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=206&start=60



Down in the comments someone posted this:



At this time, as we were talking, President Benson interrupted me and said this: “Mike, if you vote for the lesser of two evils you are still voting for evil and you will be judged for it. You should always vote for the best possible candidate, whether they have a chance of winning or not, and then, even if the worst possible candidate wins, the Lord will bless our country more because more people were willing to stand up for what is right.“
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
i think it sounds like something President Benson would say. Interestingly enough, I have also tried to nail down a source to verify and could not do so.
S
snoscythe
BoiseBYU wrote:
i think it sounds like something President Benson would say. Interestingly enough, I have also tried to nail down a source to verify and could not do so.


I don't think he ever said it, or at least the entire thing, because the last bit about the Lord blessing the country in my mind runs counter to some of the lessons in the Book of Mormon, most notably Mosiah 29:27--"And if the time comes that the voice of the people doth choose iniquity, then is the time that the judgments of God will come upon you; yea, then is the time he will visit you with great destruction even as he has hitherto visited this land." I don't see a follow-up verse where it says, 'unless some of you vote for the good guys, then forget what I just said about the voice of the people--I'll bless you all!'



I agree with the sentiment of what is attributed to President Benson, but I don't think he ever said it, and I disagree with the portion about the nation being blessed if they select wicked leaders if a small minority stands for morality. I think those who stand for morality will be blessed, but the nation as a whole will see the promise of Mosiah 29:27 fulfilled.
J
jvquarterback
Did some research on Mike Thompson. Apparently he was a state legislator from Orem. He wrote a letter to an Orem councilman in the 1980s saying he was chosen to save the constitution and someone sent out that letter to voters in the primary along with some personal correspondence he had received from President Benson. Thompson thinks that is why he lost the election. Not sure if that letter is the source of the quote or not but apparently he was in communication with President Benson.
J
jvquarterback
snoscythe wrote:
i think it sounds like something President Benson would say. Interestingly enough, I have also tried to nail down a source to verify and could not do so.


I don't think he ever said it, or at least the entire thing, because the last bit about the Lord blessing the country in my mind runs counter to some of the lessons in the Book of Mormon, most notably Mosiah 29:27--"And if the time comes that the voice of the people doth choose iniquity, then is the time that the judgments of God will come upon you; yea, then is the time he will visit you with great destruction even as he has hitherto visited this land." I don't see a follow-up verse where it says, 'unless some of you vote for the good guys, then forget what I just said about the voice of the people--I'll bless you all!'



I agree with the sentiment of what is attributed to President Benson, but I don't think he ever said it, and I disagree with the portion about the nation being blessed if they select wicked leaders if a small minority stands for morality. I think those who stand for morality will be blessed, but the nation as a whole will see the promise of Mosiah 29:27 fulfilled.


I don't know if President Benson said it and I hope you track down this Mike Thompson guy, but the attributed quote says "the Lord will bless our country more" so I don't think it's incongruent with the scripture you quoted.
B
BoiseBYU
snoscythe wrote:
i think it sounds like something President Benson would say. Interestingly enough, I have also tried to nail down a source to verify and could not do so.


I don't think he ever said it, or at least the entire thing, because the last bit about the Lord blessing the country in my mind runs counter to some of the lessons in the Book of Mormon, most notably Mosiah 29:27--"And if the time comes that the voice of the people doth choose iniquity, then is the time that the judgments of God will come upon you; yea, then is the time he will visit you with great destruction even as he has hitherto visited this land." I don't see a follow-up verse where it says, 'unless some of you vote for the good guys, then forget what I just said about the voice of the people--I'll bless you all!'



I agree with the sentiment of what is attributed to President Benson, but I don't think he ever said it, and I disagree with the portion about the nation being blessed if they select wicked leaders if a small minority stands for morality. I think those who stand for morality will be blessed, but the nation as a whole will see the promise of Mosiah 29:27 fulfilled.


I had not focused on the latter part of the quote. Focusing on the entire quote, I think you are right--I do not think President Benson said that, although I do note that had Lot found just five (or was it ten?) righteous people, the Lord would've sparred Sodom and Gumorrah.. ;)
Advertisement
M
Mars
I could not find this quote anywhere on LDS.org.



I did find other quotes from President Benson on the topic:



President Ezra Taft Benson

“We must become involved in civic affairs. As citizens … we cannot do our duty and be idle spectators. It is vital that we follow this counsel from the Lord: ‘Honest men and wise men should be sought for diligently, and good men and wise men ye should observe to uphold; otherwise whatsoever is less than these cometh of evil’” (D&C 98:10) (The Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, 683).

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1999/02/getting-involved-giving-service-growing?lang=eng



“If we keep the commandments we’ll be good citizens,” President Ezra Taft Benson has said. “We’ll exercise our right to vote. We’ll follow the counsel which the Lord has given in the revelations regarding our obligation to seek out ‘honest men and wise men’ (D&C 98:8–10) who will stand for principle, men who will put principle ahead of political expediency.” (In Conference Report, Oct. 1950, p. 148.)

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1988/08/preparing-children-for-their-community-roles?lang=eng



May I urge you to seek out good, wise, and honest men for public office, and then support them with your vote. You will note the conditions wherein the Lord counseled that we should support men in political office. They ought to be “good,” “wise,” and “honest.” Some men are good and honest, but not wise. These qualities combined provide statesmanship. I’ve said it many times: what we need today are men with a mandate higher than the ballot box!

https://www.lds.org/new-era/1978/07/america-at-the-crossroads?lang=eng



He cherished the right to vote, and he always remembered a conversation he had with his father after an election. George had publicly supported a certain candidate, and he had even prayed for this man in family prayers. After George learned that his candidate had lost the election, Ezra heard him pray for the man who had won. Ezra asked his father why he would pray for a candidate who wasn’t his choice. “Son,” George replied, “I think he’ll need our prayers even more than my candidate would have.”

https://www.lds.org/manual/teachings-of-presidents-of-the-church-ezra-taft-benson/the-life-and-ministry-of-ezra-taft-benson?lang=eng&query=vote
M
Mars
Quotes from other prophets/sources in the church:



“… to vote for wicked men, it would be sin,” said Hyrum Smith. (Documentary History of the Church, vol. 6, p. 323.)

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1972/07/civic-standards-for-the-faithful-saints?lang=eng



Are we a political people? Yes, very political indeed. But what party do you belong to or would you vote for? I will tell you whom we will vote for: we will vote for the man who will sustain the principles of civil and religious liberty, the man who knows the most and who has the best heart and brain for a statesman; and we do not care a farthing whether he is a whig, a democrat, … a republican, … or anything else. These are our politics (DBY, 358).

https://www.lds.org/manual/teachings-brigham-young/chapter-36?lang=eng&query=vote



“Under existing circumstances we have no other alternative, and if we can accomplish our object well, if not we shall have the satisfaction of knowing that we have acted conscientiously and have used our best judgment; and if we have to throw away our votes, we had better do so upon a worthy, rather than upon an unworthy individual, who might make use of the weapon we put in his hand to destroy us with” (“Who Shall Be Our Next President!” Nauvoo Neighbor, Feb. 14, 1844).

“Let every man then that hates oppression, and loves the cause of right, not only vote himself; but use his influence to obtain the votes of others, that we may by every legal means support that man whose election will secure the greatest amount of good to the nation at large” (“Religion and Politics,” Times and Seasons, Mar. 15, 1844, 471).

https://www.lds.org/manual/presidents-of-the-church-student-manual/john-taylor-third-president-of-the-church?lang=eng&query=vote



"Above all else, strive to support good and conscientious candidates, of either party, who are aware of the great dangers inherent in communism, and who are truly dedicated to the Constitution in the tradition of our Founding Fathers. They should also pledge their sincere fealty to our way of liberty—a liberty which aims at the preservation of both personal and property rights."

Official statement, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1964

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1972/10/the-american-presidency-and-the-mormons?lang=eng



Last April President Harold B. Lee... said, “we must seek for statesmanlike men who will ask, ‘Is it right and is it good for the country or the community?’ instead of those who may merely ask, ‘Is it politically expedient?’”

-Hugh B. Brown (democrat), 1972

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1972/10/the-american-presidency-and-the-mormons?lang=eng
G
Guest
The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't and shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.


Brigham_Young_fake_quote_on.png
B
Bwooken
President Benson did make this statement. I listened to a talk he gave while I was at the gym a few weeks ago. Sadly, I never noted where or when the talk was given. I listen to conference talks and devotional talks as I workout. Even though I don't remember the details of when and where the talk was given does not negate the fact that I heard it from Pres. Benson's own voice as he gave his sermon.
N
nuk13
snoscythe wrote:
I've been trying to source this quote that's been flooding my inbox the last week or two and is now taking over Mormon Facebook.



Problem is, I don't think Ezra Taft Benson ever said it. Can anyone find a source on this? Usually it's pretty simple to find sources on what apostles and prophets have said, but I'm coming up empty on this one:



https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13151776_1205775802786605_5848920983357779240_n.jpg?oh=907f6045034b0b4c2271181687f70bdd&oe=57B16461" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Thank you Sno. I don't know how I missed this thread. I saw it but didn't look into it. My brother sent me the same information yesterday including it being attributed to Mike Thompson. I would think if this was an official stand it wouldn't be nearly this difficult to find the source. It appears to have been brought up to accuse Trump supporters of supporting evil. Even if President Benson said it 22+ years ago the world and nation is different today. I don't know what the next few weeks will bring with all the turmoil but at this point I do not feel bad about who I am supporting. When I get more time I want to read Mar's quotes. I pray for this nation and the people in it.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.