Archived Topic

BYU wins honorable mention for Angriest fan bases

by Fido · 4/15/2016

Advertisement
S
scott715
And most of those are Ute fans.
A
ABYUFAN
Oh we've got some doozy fans. I think that we've fairly earned this dishonor
B
BOID
Are we just as bad as the combative Utards? I would hope not. When they had their big seasons in 04 and 08, the Utes were rewarded with BCS bowls. BYU on the other hand, was snubbed by the Bowl Alliance in '96, even though they were rated 5th best nationally. Then, in 2001, the Cougars were summarily snubbed by the BCS, just after going 11/0 for the season with a win at Mississippi St. This discrimination was announced before BYU even traveled to Hawaii for its 12th game.



It seems that BYU has had more than its share of snubs, including from the MWC, Comcast, The Mountain, and not least from the PAC 10. The latter snub became especially blatant when the PAC took the in-state program with the smaller fan base, smaller television market, smaller stadium, and much, much smaller list of ranked seasons, conference championships, All Americans, and trophy winners. It's really quite unbelievable when the two programs are compared by their records.



Anyway, apologies for this litany of the obvious. Sorry for the rant. I just think that BYU fans should be recognized for how mellow they are by average compared to some. And the difference is all the more remarkable when you look at BYU's received snubs compared to the generous allowances others have received for lesser accomplishments.
F
Fido
Remember though--this isn't about which fan base has been wronged so much they are justifiably angry. It is fans of schools who "get mad" on social media based on the stuff the author posts. Basically those who don't control themselves through the anonymity of twitter. Here is how the author categorizes it:



I've been at CBS Sports since the 2010 season, and I've been on Twitter the entire time. Over the years, I've received my fair share of angry tweets from fans of teams who either aren't happy with something I wrote here or on there. In this week's Friday Five, I'm going to rank the five fanbases I find are #MadOnline the most often.



Just about every fan base has been mad at me at some point, but these are the ones that are either mad the most often or get mad the easiest.



If being mad online is the BYU reputation, I don't know that is a positive even if some perceive it as justified.
Advertisement
T
TheDean
I have to agree with scott715 that 90% of those who post angry post are Ute fans posing as BYU fans.
T
TheDean
BOID wrote:
Are we just as bad as the combative Utards? I would hope not. When they had their big seasons in 04 and 08, the Utes were rewarded with BCS bowls. BYU on the other hand, was snubbed by the Bowl Alliance in '96, even though they were rated 5th best nationally. Then, in 2001, the Cougars were summarily snubbed by the BCS, just after going 11/0 for the season with a win at Mississippi St. This discrimination was announced before BYU even traveled to Hawaii for its 12th game.



It seems that BYU has had more than its share of snubs, including from the MWC, Comcast, The Mountain, and not least from the PAC 10. The latter snub became especially blatant when the PAC took the in-state program with the smaller fan base, smaller television market, smaller stadium, and much, much smaller list of ranked seasons, conference championships, All Americans, and trophy winners. It's really quite unbelievable when the two programs are compared by their records.



Anyway, apologies for this litany of the obvious. Sorry for the rant. I just think that BYU fans should be recognized for how mellow they are by average compared to some. And the difference is all the more remarkable when you look at BYU's received snubs compared to the generous allowances others have received for lesser accomplishments.


True we get angry at getting snubbed but I think they were talking about post that are just plain angry or flame someone. There are some on this board and elsewhere but are few and far between. Yet when you go to KSL or the Tribune then it is funny how most of the negative and angriest post are from Ute fans over something a BYU fan has posted that the Utes fans disagree with.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.